• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Sorry !

Didn't mean to offend anyone about being a Amateur or Novice Player.

When I started playing Disc Golf , they didn't have 10 divisions to chose from.

Here is how it worked. If you were Under 16 years of age and never entered a Tournament before , you could play Novice.

If you were 18 years of age , you HAD to play in the Open Division. They stated , this is where you LEARN how to Play Disc Golf and get Better.

Did not matter if you shot 27 Over Par or 16 Under Par.

Everyone who was 18 to 35 years of age , all played in the same division.

My Problem is , I know Players who still play Amateur or Novice Player after 10+ years. What the ........

Some don't want to play Tournaments , I understand that.
Some play Tournaments and S... the Bed , so to speak.
Please do not play Tournaments if all you want to do is complain.

Get out and Practice , Practice , Practice , Practice and Practice some more.

Never stop learning and experimenting and Learn how to get better.:clap:

I have some Issues , of course , with east coast players. I'm sorry you have very crappy weather.
Not my fault that I'm able to play Year Round with Shorts and Teeshirt. I choose to live in better climate.:gross:

Are you originally from/live in Europe? Your capitalization is ... intriguing.

Driving with a putter is how you learn to throw for real distance.

Can we get back to the Tern on this Tern thread?

Is it more like a flow or a sword? Sounds like the new plastic is very nice.

Well I mean, Aviars are putters and I thought you're only supposed to putt with putters?

What are you talking about ?

Have you ever thrown a drive with a Aviar ?

I have Aced 17 holes with a Aviar. At least that many over 250 feet.

I did throw some Putts with a driver on purpose.:thmbup:

If you Putt with Drivers in a Tournament , you may be made fun of or questioned by your group.

Driving with a putter is how you learn to throw for real distance.

Can we get back to the Tern on this Tern thread?

Is it more like a flow or a sword? Sounds like the new plastic is very nice.

The Champion Tern is a fun disc to throw.

I have thrown both the flat top and pop-top versions.
Pop-top may be a bit more overstable at the end of it's flight.

Lighter weights seem to carry a bit further for me than max weight. Might be the way I put snap on the disc though.

Always experiment with different disc's and see what you like.
You may also want to experiment with different weights to see what fits you the best.

With Innova Disc's , weight is more important than color.
I have thrown some Discraft ,where the color makes a difference for some reason.:sick:

Have you ever thrown a drive with a Aviar ?

I throw drives with drivers. Usually 13 speed because the disc gets to the basket faster.

I have Aced 17 holes with a Aviar. At least that many over 250 feet.

So you've had more than 17 aces with an Aviar?

I did throw some Putts with a driver on purpose.:thmbup:

If you Putt with Drivers in a Tournament , you may be made fun of or questioned by your group.

Sometimes putting with drivers is good for when there's a lot of wind.

11 posts thus far and all of them in this one thread... interesting. :)

Sorry about continuing the thread-jack. Back on point...

I am so waiting for it to get back up above 30, for the ground to dry out a little and for the wind to quit driving like it is so I can get my Terns out for a round on the practice field.

Seriously though ...

Does the Tern have the same super shallow grip as the Mamba? If it doesn't and I don't like my D4's when my finger finally heals, I might take a gander at a Tern.

Just threw a Tern 550' at 60%...blindfolded, no shoes, on gravel, and with 1 arm tied down. Nikko was with me and he could only get 525' at 100%... with his shoes on.

Anyone who doubts this, well, I've been around since__, and done this since before__, and did it with putters, and, and, and...you're all hackers who don't know squat about the sport except for me and my tubby friend.

It's pretty shallow akin to the mamba. I like it more than the mamba or katana grip wise.

Oh, and I've got 29 aces with a putter, all before I was 18. You see, I counted every one and still love to point that out to anyone that will listen...especially all of you here who don't even know how to play the game. I know, I know, I need to get a life. As far as my anger, that's none of your business!

Seriously though ...

Does the Tern have the same super shallow grip as the Mamba? If it doesn't and I don't like my D4's when my finger finally heals, I might take a gander at a Tern.

If "rim depth" is the correct dimension you're looking for... from on the PDGA site, the Mamba and Tern are both listed at 1.1 cm. The "rim thickness" says 2.1 for the Mamba and 2.3 for the Tern.

The Polecat, in contrast, has 1.6 and 0.7 numbers. So I figure that the Tern really does have a "shallow" grip.

It's pretty shallow akin to the mamba. I like it more than the mamba or katana grip wise.

I thought (when they first came out) that the Katana and Mamba were Innova's biggest follies. Hated the way they flew. Hated the way they felt in my hand. Just hated them in general. But then I see people who know what they are doing throw them like they were born with that disc, and I see how useful they are...just not for me.

The Tern feels kind of similar to the Mamba, but I do believe it is more of a Mamba top than rim. But the rim is fairly shallow and easy to grip. it come out of my hand (again, ephasis on MY) much easier than my Destroyers, and much cleaner to boot. It's understable begginings followed with a healthy, yet not quite overstable, fade, make it a great distance disc for me. It excels at big hyzer lines.

It could truly be the first high-speed drivers made for intermediate players.

Some perspective for those that may be confused by the blowhards...

There's a recent video of Nikko Locastro where he's throwing various drivers, and at the end he pulls out a Cannon and says he thinks it's the longest disc currently on the market. He then says he's going to crush it to demonstrate how long it flies. He throws a big sky anny that flattens and flexes out and lands about 150 ft past the basket which is at 400 ft. He's pretty jazzed about the disc and the throw. Check it out, easy to find on youtube.

^^^This is reality...as opposed to pure BS.