• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

I've had a champion 175g Tern that I've never really clicked with.... when I got a good pull I'd have some of my longest throws with this disc, but I was very hit-and-miss with it and had recently pulled it out of my bag.

I got a 172g Star Tern with some tournament winnings yesterday and did a bunch of field work with it today and THIS is the disc I had wished my old Tern threw like... very long and very consistent!

I noticed tonight that the Star is flatter than the Champion, not sure how much difference that makes but I find it interesting that I usually have better experiences/results with flatter/less domey discs...

I've had a champion 175g Tern that I've never really clicked with.... when I got a good pull I'd have some of my longest throws with this disc, but I was very hit-and-miss with it and had recently pulled it out of my bag.

I got a 172g Star Tern with some tournament winnings yesterday and did a bunch of field work with it today and THIS is the disc I had wished my old Tern threw like... very long and very consistent!

I noticed tonight that the Star is flatter than the Champion, not sure how much difference that makes but I find it interesting that I usually have better experiences/results with flatter/less domey discs...

star terns are a different disc than CH terns
CH are 12/6/-2/2
the star are less stable
star are 12/6/-4/2

odd

I only throw a star tern. Can someone who has thrown both give us a run down?

I'm loving the star right now. I've had some of my best drives with this disc. it's making a huge difference. My only complaint is that it's god awful in the wind.

odd

I only throw a star tern. Can someone who has thrown both give us a run down?

I'm loving the star right now. I've had some of my best drives with this disc. it's making a huge difference. My only complaint is that it's god awful in the wind.

I keep a Flash in my bag for into the wind shots, because the Tern can not handle headwind

star terns are a different disc than CH terns
CH are 12/6/-2/2
the star are less stable
star are 12/6/-4/2

Holy cow, did not realize that, thanks for the insight! The star I picked up was custom-stamped and therefore did not have the ratings on it like most Innova discs do.

I tend to like the feel of star plastic much better than champion for Innova discs which is why I decided to give the star Tern a try.

I could never get a reliable flip or turn out of the CH Tern, even though I have no trouble getting other high-speed discs to flip and turn (ex. - Crank, Bolt, King). My max distance right now is about 415', fyi... wonder what I'm doing wrong with the CH?

That's good to know but I might be too snake bitten to throw in a breeze again

Finally got my Starlite Terns out on the local practice area today. Took them out to compare them with my primary and max distance drivers. I throw RHBH.

Bagged:
150g QOLFs: primary, go to, consistent drivers. Flat ground distance = 325'ish. By far my most used and favorite driver. I can throw it flat with just a little turn and it gets a nice skip at the end. I can hyzer it and it holds that line. I can anhyzer it and depending on the release, can have it flex back or stay turned over.

174g Wahoos: max distance wide open hole drivers. Flat ground distance = 350' with 375' being my estimated max. They need a lot of space to fly, turning far right but coming back thrown flat. But my primary one is getting too flippy, even with hyzer, and won't come back any more, turning into rollers sometimes. The backup is getting there, too. I haven't thrown them a ton, and really only use them on nice grassy holes, so they're not abused. But they did break in fast. This is why I'm looking to the Tern as a replacement.

I carry a couple other drivers, but they're more specialty type discs, etc. so I'm not using them in this comparison.

Testing today:
(2) Champion Terns at 162g & 163g.
These both fly a lot like my QOLFs but a little longer, in the 340' range. The jury's still out but I do like being able to throw them flat, hyzer or anhyzer.

(2) Starlite Terns at 150g and 151g. These two threw very differently than each other. The 150g flew as advertised. My best throw with it was about 380' (quite possibly my longest throw ever without wind or elevation to help). I probably averaged about 350-360'. It required a good bit of room to work right and then back left, but not not as much as my Wahoos had taken. This was thrown flat. I'll have to experiment more with some hyzer, etc.

The 151g flew more overstable than the Champions. It didn't turn right at all when thrown flat. It maxed out in the 330' range or so. (Actually, I've been very fortunate in my experience with consistency within molds and this is my first experience with such inconsistency in two nearly identical discs.)

Verdict:
A Champion and the "as advertised" Star will probably both make the bag and replace my two Wahoos. The shallow rim didn't bother me at all. Of course, Stiingrays are my favorite mid so I'm used to shallow rimmed discs. I have more practice and testing to come, but the results are definitely favorable. Looks like I might need to hit up the Innova Factory Store again for some more Starlites to see if I can find some more flippy ones.

Last edited:
Just gotta say..........I LOVE THIS DISC.
Got my first ace on Saturday during a tournament with a 164 white Star Tern.
I bought a new one with the extra money - I now have 3 all Star plastic ~ 164,171,173.
My first ace ever, in a tournament, on the first shot of the day. Yup, you guessed it.......the entire rest of the round I ran everything and completely forgot how to putt!!!!! Great disc for older players like me. Not too great in the wind. I have tried a Champion tern and might bag one but the D-1 and my Destroyers fill the bag slot for windy days.
I used to throw the Bolt, Katana, Mamba, or sometimes an Avenger SS but this disc works well up in the mountains (4600 ft - 6100 ft). I want to see how it plays at sea level this winter.

long and straight?

definitely not my experience with star

All depends on how hard people are throwing.. For me the tern isnt usually getting pulled out for anything under 400.. and its gonna be turning.

I may pick up a star version as a more understable tern for those long right turning shots.

Long, yes
Straight, no

Really liking this disc, for me it turns at high speed a bit too much sometimes, but glides a ton. So I like it when I have plenty of room to the right on a long drive. I just have to get good snap and not too much hyzer or it doesn't turn.

Also I think the "jolly launcher" plastic tends to make molds more stable than they might normally be and thats why the star plastic is labeled differently.

k, so do these things roll? i am using destroyers and RR for rollers but the vulcan was/is just too flippy. that thing needs a long time to come back. i think a tern might be the thing esp if sky rollers can work with it too.

k, so do these things roll? i am using destroyers and RR for rollers but the vulcan was/is just too flippy. that thing needs a long time to come back. i think a tern might be the thing esp if sky rollers can work with it too.

I could maybe see a sky roller working but a dx destroyer is a better choice than the tern in general for a roller imo.

Latest posts