• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Tern!

Those are good, just need something more stable.

I'm not having a lot of luck finding a distance driver of similar speed/rim width that's more over stable. I tried the trespass but that didn't work.

Why exactly did they not work? I use a combination of trespass(lucid and bio) and terns(champ and star) to fill my various stability needs. I am not saying you are wrong, just curious about your experience. As it stands, I find the trespass to not have nearly the distance my terns do(about 50 ft less) and just a bit too stable right now that there is a gap between the two different molds. I hope my bio trespass will beat in just a touch more so it gets closer to the champ tern. But since I don't throw the trespass as much as the tern, I haven't noticed it breaking in much(flight wise or actual physical wear).

I would agree that my terns are longer than the trespass.

My only problem with the trespass was how fast some of mine seasoned. The bios started to flip pretty quickly. Same with the lucids for some reason. Fuzion was my favorite and I would probably be okay going back to those to be honest.

I'm just not sure a slightly seasoned trespass is that much different than a glow tern for me...

Not really what I had in mind. I have (and sometimes bag) a 145g Starlight Tern and its almost as HSS as my light 160s champs. Almost, but not quite. It's def. more HSS than my regular Star. I don't have a massive arm but I absolutely love the mold in my hand and in flight. It's really my favorite Innova mold that is faster than speed 10. Besides, a Pro Tern couldn't possibly be flippier than the 155g MVP Inertia that came with my PDGA membership. That thing is a squirrel.

Yeah my 150 Starlite tern is way more stable than my 161 gummy champ tern. It's almost as stable as my seasoned 175 jolly launcher.
Bummer about the 155 inertia being squirrelly, I just got my pdga pack in the mail yesterday and I was like- well this thing looks and feels like a cheap kids toy but it will at least be a fairway for my sore shoulder bag(<160). I guess I'll have a 10/10 inertia for sale when I finally set up a fsot thread.

My only problem with the trespass was how fast some of mine seasoned. The bios started to flip pretty quickly. Same with the lucids for some reason. Fuzion was my favorite and I would probably be okay going back to those to be honest.

I'm just not sure a slightly seasoned trespass is that much different than a glow tern for me...

So what do you throw that is your overstable distance driver? I have never tried destroyers (didn't have the arm for them until recently). I have a lucid trespass because I loved my lucid escape and wanted a very overstable distance driver (for my arm speed then) in the same plastic. I was maxing out at about 320 when I bought the trespass, but with a tern I can now consistently hit 360 and occasionally get around 400. I still find my lucid trespass to be much more overstable than my champ tern, but I would like something that has similar stability, but closer in distance to the tern. I also thought a bio trespass could season into eventually replacing the new champ tern, but now see it will not have that same distance (probably b/c of glide). Any suggestions?

Same for me. I recently went to Acad and pulled all their Star Destros. Bought the lowest PLH one at 166. Been throwing it at hard objects. I think this is going to work. Hoping it fits right between a Champ Tern and my freakishly understable ESP Force.

I may do that at some point but it's pretty damn annoying how much difference you can find in destroyers.

So what do you throw that is your overstable distance driver? I have never tried destroyers (didn't have the arm for them until recently). I have a lucid trespass because I loved my lucid escape and wanted a very overstable distance driver (for my arm speed then) in the same plastic. I was maxing out at about 320 when I bought the trespass, but with a tern I can now consistently hit 360 and occasionally get around 400. I still find my lucid trespass to be much more overstable than my champ tern, but I would like something that has similar stability, but closer in distance to the tern. I also thought a bio trespass could season into eventually replacing the new champ tern, but now see it will not have that same distance (probably b/c of glide). Any suggestions?

I basically don't have an overstable dd in the bag right now. I have glow terns, which are okay, but I suppose I just fall back to my PDs. It really hasn't hurt my game at all and maybe even improved my consistency.

I'm in the same boat as you though. I'm not really sure where to look for something more overstable. I don't have huge hands, so I try to stay away from big rim discs. a lot of the other options just seem insanely inconsistent right now (destroyers).

Last edited:
I don't have huge hands, so I try to stay away from big rim discs. a lot of the other options just seem insanely inconsistent right now (destroyers).

Same reason I stay away from destroyers. I just don't want to have to worry when ordering online what version of a disc I will get. I guess I don't really need something like I described b/c I only throw my trespass about once a round and it suits my needs enough that I don't want to experiment too much with new molds just to replace something that really works just fine now (I spend too much doing that with throwing putters already). I have thought about a King since it has the same rim width as a tern, but it seems the mold is becoming overstable and accurate to it's flight numbers instead of the slightly more understable mold it seemed to initially be.

I may do that at some point but it's pretty damn annoying how much difference you can find in destroyers.

I basically don't have an overstable dd in the bag right now. I have glow terns, which are okay, but I suppose I just fall back to my PDs. It really hasn't hurt my game at all and maybe even improved my consistency.

I'm in the same boat as you though. I'm not really sure where to look for something more overstable. I don't have huge hands, so I try to stay away from big rim discs. a lot of the other options just seem insanely inconsistent right now (destroyers).

Maybe try a DD or heavy Champ/bottom stamp Star Wraith

what's the deal with bottom stamped wraiths? I almost bought one last week for no good reason.

I've only thrown one but it was more stable than the Champ I had. I know with Destroyers the bottom stamped seem to be a little more stable for whatever reason (at least that's my experience)

I snagged a 175g Champion and I clicked with it immediately, I have it in my Bolt's slot right now and it has been impressive thus far, really easy to get distance off flat releases, really fun disc to throw.

today i threw a nice 400ft'er on an open field hole on my local course that had little swirling wind with my 171g echostar tern.

I kind of swore off any star/non champ version of terns (because they're so squirrelly), but finally have had an epiphany on how to throw those anny S-Curve distance lines using the champ tern. Before I'd just hyzer a champ tern or just throw it slight hyzer/flat and let it naturally S curve. Semi tunnel distance shots I'd trust it to hyzerflip if needed.

I've learned to trust the tern to fight out of the anny line where it'll eventually sweep back then fade naturally. It now works with champ terns (hence why for me champ terns have always been very workable discs on distance lines/tunnel shots) but if you do it right with a star tern... that extra distance is damn seductive.

Instead of going 10ft off the ground using the anny S-curve distance line with a champ tern, I tried it with my 171g echostar and put it 15ft in the air (instead of the 10ft for my champ terns) and gave it enough height to eventually fight out of the anny line and fade forward naturally with a healthy forward skip. yehey 400ft!

the only reason I've been recently bagging my echostar tern is that I'm finally getting some workable forehand drives off the tee using understable drivers like my echostar tern for straight distance (I'm nearing 300ft finally with a cleaner sidearm). Hopefully I can be confident enough to use sidearm off the tee this season.

Anyone else out there having trouble getting a consistent grip on their Tern? I've been finding the rim to be so thin that I can't get a comfortable grip. Like the pads of my finger-tips slip out when I try to FH my Terns and when I BH it there just isn't a lot to hold on to.

Anyone else out there having trouble getting a consistent grip on their Tern? I've been finding the rim to be so thin that I can't get a comfortable grip. Like the pads of my finger-tips slip out when I try to FH my Terns and when I BH it there just isn't a lot to hold on to.

No problems for me. But, then again, I throw Stingrays, too. And they have a very shallow grip, too.

Bought 2 champ Tern monday, got 2 echo star on the way in the mail, after trying my friend. Best thing I done in awhile in disc golf. Can't believe I waiting this long to try them.

The thing that really made me want to try them was when one wrote that its like hyzer flipping a beat leopard I was sold, who ever wrote that in here, thank you!