• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The UP

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Well, I dropped out of the USADGC for various reasons, including a sore ankle that might keep me from being competitive, but won't keep me from playing. So, I might still take the time off, and still travel to Michigan, just a different part and not for competition (unless there's any local events happening?).

So, I see superberry's hard work has several nice looking courses listed throughout the area that I plan on hitting. From looking at the map, I don't think I'll have any trouble keeping myself occupied with courses for the long weekend.

Any feedback on particular courses? Any hidden gems that I might miss?
Any good food I cannot pass by?
How about beer?
The gf will be along, as much as she loves dg, she always appreciates unique shops/museums/antiques/crafts/quilting kinds of things - any info here?

Thanks! Looking forward to some slightly cooler weather by the big water :thmbup:

Dont play the course in Suite St Marie, its useless. Hit up Apdrvya I think he played most of those but not sure,

I'm trippin' up there june 21/22...
I've played four courses:
Silver Mountain-- sweet ski course
Sault ste marie-- don't waste your time
Grand Marais (superior pines)-- very very cool course in the middle of nowhere
Keweenaw Mtn Lodge-- meh, it's a long way from civilization and not really worth it.

Pioneer Trails is a pretty decent play in Escanaba and so is the Tailings in Iron River. I agree with Apdrvya about Silver Mountain. In Escanaba if you hold off a little long I think Upper Hand Brewery will be up and running, its a division of Bells. Also, Shu pond will be open for you to play Matt, I just recently acquired nine DisCatchers. If you play Escanaba let me know, might cruise up and play with you!!!

Pioneer Trails is a pretty decent play in Escanaba and so is the Tailings in Iron River. I agree with Apdrvya about Silver Mountain. In Escanaba if you hold off a little long I think Upper Hand Brewery will be up and running, its a division of Bells. Also, Shu pond will be open for you to play Matt, I just recently acquired nine DisCatchers. If you play Escanaba let me know, might cruise up and play with you!!!

New DisCatchers or used? Either way, that's awesome.

Marquette should be your base camp - lots to do and lots of culture. You and the GF will love it. Two new 18 hole courses (Powder Mill and Silver Creek), just 58 miles to Pioneer Trail in Escanaba, about a 2hr drive along the lake and national forest to Grand Marais, and plenty to eat, drink, and see in Marquette. For being in the middle of nowhere, it's like an oasis in the middle of a northern paradise!
Blackrocks Brewery great atmosphere in the taproom (known for awesome IPA and unique ingredient beer, located in a cool converted old house)
Vierling brewpub (good food and great house microbrews)
Ore Dock brewery (for saisons and Belgians)
Lagniappe (great creole food)
Huron Earth deli (sandwiches and more unique eats like crawdaddy mac & cheese)
Farmers Market Saturdays
Dead River coffee roasters (try Dark Forest, mmmm)
Camping at Tourist Park (just up river and 1000' from Hole 11 at Powder Mill)
100s! of mountain bike single track trails to suit all levels!

Latest posts