• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Valkyrie, a discussion.........

1.) What are all of the different types of valks (plastics, runs, ect.)
Sandstrom star, glow champ, and beat dx
2.) Which ones do you throw?
Beat dx for rollers and huge downhill turnovers, sandstorm star when there is no wind for long turnovers instead of my phenom. I also use it for a large turnover over a huge hill at my course
3.) If your a hater, why the hate?
4.) And any other opinions would be welcome.
I love the valk and it was my first disc but I think there are other discs that can do it better (phenom). Still like to bag them because they are fairly consistent

1.) What are all of the different types of valks (plastics, runs, ect.)
Sandstrom star, glow champ, and beat dx
2.) Which ones do you throw?
Beat dx for rollers and huge downhill turnovers, sandstorm star when there is no wind for long turnovers instead of my phenom. I also use it for a large turnover over a huge hill at my course
3.) If your a hater, why the hate?
4.) And any other opinions would be welcome.
I love the valk and it was my first disc but I think there are other discs that can do it better (phenom). Still like to bag them because they are fairly consistent

i would never throw a beat dx downhill that thing would barrel roll

I used a semi-beat DX for turnovers at 7000ft elevation in CO earlier this year. I carry a seasoned star valk for turnovers or hyzerflip lines at sea level. At sea level the DX is an insta-roller.

One of my first drivers ever was a 161g champ valk. It started out straight and then turned into a hyzerflip to turnover machine. My star valk is max weight and will probably never be that understable.

I hate I missed that run...I really hope Innova tries another run of Glow Valks

I've emailed them about it & there doesn't seem to be a plan to run them again. I'm certain they sold well.

They were flat and held their stability for so long.

I've emailed them about it & there doesn't seem to be a plan to run them again. I'm certain they sold well.

They were flat and held their stability for so long.

That's a shame...

Has anybody throw any of the new stamped Champ Valks?

I like the Glow Champion Valkyries simply due to how they fly, mine is from sometime in 2017 so I can not comment on newer but some other discs the Champion Destroyers have the Blizzard look in the rim but mostly the nearer to the leading edge. Maybe a current run of Champion was made like this for all Champion discs? I know a friends new Destroyer he got in the summer of 2018 is the same way as a few I saw in a store recently.

Pro Valks fly so tasty...

So how do you go about picking a Pro Valk? I'm looking to extend my distance, recently parked a 350' hole with a worn in star eagle (usually throw it about 330' though) so I think I am finally ready for something faster.

Tried a Pro Valk a few years ago and hated it. It was really flat and wouldn't come back if I got it to turn at all. Don't think it was so much my form just that it seemed far too touchy.

I currently have a pop top star that seems way too stable, won't turn at all with the same power I give my Eagle although it will go further on a flex line.

My DX valks are kinda flippy even new but have more fade than that old Pro ever did.

What I want is one that will have a little turn fresh (and wear in to more) and still come back reliably, does this sound like a Pro or more like chuck that stable Valk a thousand more times?

So how do you go about picking a Pro Valk?

imo.. you do not. 'pro' is a freakshow. putters and touch mids sure.. whatever. drivers just all over the place. innova (modern) pro drivers and soft drivers in general are unique to the hands of the dialed to the disc archer. a plastic for eccentrics and weirdos. greasy dirty 'i know what this do' stuff. admittedly i rocked an ugly pro teebird as a go-to a long time and was leery of losing it due to uniqueness. was hard to fade it out for a proper cycle of stars.

if you got pop on that eagle, as a baby step i suggest the thunderbird. feel free to make a jump to big rim. get a destroyer.

if you like the innova pro feel, maybe try a legacy disc is pinnacale or a discraft in esp or flx.

:doh:
For the moment. I just emailed them again about it to see if they'll be run again. I'll post their response.

Worst case I might have to soften a flatter top Champion disc when I need a new disc by letting disc sit in the sun all day in the summer or a hot car for about an hour or make a disc flatter top by putting weight on top of it first.

imo.. you do not. 'pro' is a freakshow. putters and touch mids sure.. whatever. drivers just all over the place. innova (modern) pro drivers and soft drivers in general are unique to the hands of the dialed to the disc archer. a plastic for eccentrics and weirdos. greasy dirty 'i know what this do' stuff. admittedly i rocked an ugly pro teebird as a go-to a long time and was leery of losing it due to uniqueness. was hard to fade it out for a proper cycle of stars.

if you got pop on that eagle, as a baby step i suggest the thunderbird. feel free to make a jump to big rim. get a destroyer.

if you like the innova pro feel, maybe try a legacy disc is pinnacale or a discraft in esp or flx.

ESP is more like Star again, or the old ESP before it had the soft period in 2007 and 2008. The discs are not as durable as the old ESP though more like how some Star feels like Echo Star now when it brakes in just a tad.

The newer Pro is not worth it for drivers unless you know what to look for in a new unthrown disc, how that mold is with type of dome and feel of the Pro. R-Pro for putters is also sometimes mold dependent on if a disc will have variation but not on all of the discs made in R-Pro have variation and those that don't have variation can get the occasional disc that has more a feel variation then flight. Not sure on the R-Pro Skeeter a midrange as I have only thrown the Star and DX of the disc.

Tried a Pro Valk a few years ago and hated it.

What I want is one that will have a little turn fresh (and wear in to more) and still come back reliably, does this sound like a Pro or more like chuck that stable Valk a thousand more times?

Maybe it's just good luck on my part in the discs I got, but newer runs of Pro plastic discs have been good. The Pro plastic looks and feels good, and the discs fly well. I don't know what weights you like, but maybe a Pro Valk in the 160s would give you what you're looking for. I'm breaking in one now.

So how do you go about picking a Pro Valk? I'm looking to extend my distance, recently parked a 350' hole with a worn in star eagle (usually throw it about 330' though) so I think I am finally ready for something faster.

Tried a Pro Valk a few years ago and hated it. It was really flat and wouldn't come back if I got it to turn at all. Don't think it was so much my form just that it seemed far too touchy.

I currently have a pop top star that seems way too stable, won't turn at all with the same power I give my Eagle although it will go further on a flex line.

My DX valks are kinda flippy even new but have more fade than that old Pro ever did.

new driver/fairway Pro and Star are more beefy when flat top or low dome but not overly so, the disc flies just a hair more to a Viking flight path for me. You want a disc that is domed but not a pop top, pop top in any Valkyrie plastic other then DX is not going to work as with Champion the Valkyrie in pop top is almost too much glide for the type of disc it is. Flat top or flatter top in Champion works best for me then with Star I use a flat top too but the disc is only a hair beefier to a Viking flight but with a Valkyrie end flight fade so I can still use it. In fact that is my headwind over defiantly 20 mph Valkyrie a flatter top Star mold up when I choose to use a Valkyrie in a headwind but the Star has other uses too like in wet conditions.

I look for mild dome Valks in any plastic. Pop tops and flatties are no good.

I look for mild dome Valks in any plastic. Pop tops and flatties are no good.

nearly Flat top micro dome works for Champion, hence why I went with Glow because I saw some in mid 160 grams and max weight in a store that were both nearly the same dome not only that but the regular Champion was not feeling like the early run Champion unless I left the disc outside all day in in summer on a hot day 90 F or higher.

Latest posts