• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things noobs say...

I throw a roadrunner forehand off the tee on a hyzerflip to slight turnover with a tiny fade back through the trees about 350'. Guy I was playing with...
"Must be a freak overstable roadrunner. My forehand is too powerful for those discs. I even turn over my Firebird ."

He then forehands a FAF champ Firebird with just silly OAT into the ground far left about 150' from the tee.

"I need a more OS Firebird."

I throw Roadrunners and someone always says something about how they are only for rollers.

On the more OS Firebird note, there used to be a guy around here who said his Max was getting too flippy.

I was playing a round, and walked up to the tee on whatever hole it was. Three guys said I could play through, as I was by myself. I set my bag down and heard "you have quite a set up there. Do you actually use all those?" They all laughed. Proceeded to say "I bet your one of those guys that has like 5-10 more at home too!"

"Nah your Mom holds onto them for me"

His friends would have died laughing

My buddy always exclaims, "that was perfect" when he throws one right in the ground. This isn't sarcasm either... He genuinely means, "if I would have thrown that one higher, it would be perfect".

I always tell him, "it looked good until it left your hand..." :\

Thats actually pretty good. For a lot of people, it never looks good.

Which sounds kinds brutal, I know. But if they have fun, who cares what they look like or what they score, if they even keep score.

Got 2 newb things from experienced players again.

Guy was talking about how he carries 3 or 4 (forget exactly) Innova drivers with the same glide, turn, and fade, but different speeds, and that he really liked that so he could range his shots better. One happened to be the Beast, which I love the og/x hate the L, so I asked him which mold it was. He said he didn't know they made 2 but told me "the numbers are -2,2 so it's that one" So I went on to educate him about the history and mold change and how numbers are irrelevant with 2 different molds having the same numbers. At this point he then tells me he doesn't go by flight numbers and goes with what works best for him.

The other thing I heard was someone telling someone else that putter rounds can really help with form issues, especially with guy B not having much of a backhand. I think to myself "Wow, that guy's actually giving good advice for once" Then he follows up with an example from his own game, and how the dart was his only disc when he started. Still not bad without context, but he's been playing since at least '05 (4 years before the dart was released)

I still have my original 150 gr champ Leo and use it quite a bit in the woods. I played a wooded course in Maine this morning and drove with it 4 or 5 times. Hyzer flip to flat and watch it carry straight, straight, straight...

Yesterday, I mas just showing my aunt a couple discs, Hyzer-flipped a 150 Leo 375ft, from a standstill. The last 25ft was a skip/slide straight forward. I was even surprised. Lol.

Never got over 10-12 feet off the ground and never more than 8ft off centerline. Crazy

Now, if I could just do that when it counts. :p

Got 2 newb things from experienced players again.

Guy was talking about how he carries 3 or 4 (forget exactly) Innova drivers with the same glide, turn, and fade, but different speeds, and that he really liked that so he could range his shots better. One happened to be the Beast, which I love the og/x hate the L, so I asked him which mold it was. He said he didn't know they made 2 but told me "the numbers are -2,2 so it's that one" So I went on to educate him about the history and mold change and how numbers are irrelevant with 2 different molds having the same numbers. At this point he then tells me he doesn't go by flight numbers and goes with what works best for him.

That's not really too bad. The "same glide/turn/fade, different speed" thing is a philosophy that you can apply to your bag, even if you realize that the flight numbers are approximate at best. Certainly a little cognitive dissonance. But that guy still sounds smarter than the vast majority of newbz I've encountered.

As far as the Beast mold change thing, can't really blame anyone for being in the dark on that. Somewhat esoteric, especially because neither of those molds is super common in a lot of bags (at least around here).

He didn't actually SAY anything, but I played with a guy who has been playing at least 3-4 years and competes pretty decent in masters.

Any shot that is more than 25 feet and less than 70 he is throwing this Zypher and laying up. To be fair on all but one he left himself an easy drop in, but if he had tried to putt on many of these he might have saved 3-4 strokes.

That's not really too bad. The "same glide/turn/fade, different speed" thing is a philosophy that you can apply to your bag, even if you realize that the flight numbers are approximate at best. Certainly a little cognitive dissonance. But that guy still sounds smarter than the vast majority of newbz I've encountered.

As far as the Beast mold change thing, can't really blame anyone for being in the dark on that. Somewhat esoteric, especially because neither of those molds is super common in a lot of bags (at least around here).

I guess it really isn't that bad, but this guy's been getting under my skin for over 10 years with the crap he says. It was the fact he was considering flight numbers were exact and they were his only basis for picking discs, then changed his mind to how they don't matter at all.

geeze how do all these other new players have so much time ...i'm usually busy cussing out trees or thanking them for saving a bad shot from a water hazard..Oak tree you know who you are...

me going to a 150 foot hole: so what are you throwing here?

chucker: z nuke

me: *in my head* are you kidding me *me talking to chucker* how you gonna throw?

chucker: tomahawk

me: Im throwing a putter...

me going to a 150 foot hole: so what are you throwing here?

chucker: z nuke

me: *in my head* are you kidding me *me talking to chucker* how you gonna throw?

chucker: tomahawk

me: Im throwing a putter...

Not gonna lie like 6 years ago, I slayed in intermediate doing almost exactly exactly that... then I actually learned to play this game.