• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Things noobs say...

I can't decide if it was great to be a noob in the pre-DG on the Internet era or not. On the one hand, we basically had the Innova flight chart as our guide to picking discs. On the other, we couldn't go online and see a gazillion people shaming us for brand/plastic/putting style/etc choices.

I'm going with it was a bad thing. As a Noob, at my first tournament I didn't know what to pick in the player's pack. I asked the guy behind the table who said "Get the Predator, it's a great thrower, and in elite-z it'll hold up well" First round was complete random groupings, I was put on a card with a bunch of long arms who told me to keep working on throwing as hard as I could until it turned over. Talking about the same Predator, after plenty more advice like that, and other great one liners like "start your run up backwards" and "pull hard, like starting a lawn mower" or "If you don't power grip with all 4 fingers you'll never have a good throw" I was turning over Flicks and Monsters, but couldn't throw over 300 feet. Then I learned about wrist roll and off axis torque. Tried to correct it, then finally gave up and realized I'm rec for life.

I'm going with it was a bad thing. As a Noob, at my first tournament I didn't know what to pick in the player's pack. I asked the guy behind the table who said "Get the Predator, it's a great thrower, and in elite-z it'll hold up well" First round was complete random groupings, I was put on a card with a bunch of long arms who told me to keep working on throwing as hard as I could until it turned over. Talking about the same Predator, after plenty more advice like that, and other great one liners like "start your run up backwards" and "pull hard, like starting a lawn mower" or "If you don't power grip with all 4 fingers you'll never have a good throw" I was turning over Flicks and Monsters, but couldn't throw over 300 feet. Then I learned about wrist roll and off axis torque. Tried to correct it, then finally gave up and realized I'm rec for life.
I dunno man. I used to go out every 2-3 weeks and throw a 50-52 on my local course. After field practice, discing down, putting practice, and refining my for I go out 2-3 times a week and shoot.....54.

But this discussion has been about whether a 300' golfer is good or not...

i turned 60 this year. i throw a good drive 300' give or take 20' (golf shot). i also putt and approach on a 970 rated player level. i don't rattle around A-holes, and have been playing the better part of 40 yrs. i've witnessed the transition from frisbees to modern golf discs and adapted. i putt at least 100 putts a day six days a week on either my outdoor or indoor putting areas. i am also very happy with my game but am always looking to improve despite being HANDICAPPED by my ever increasing age .

so...am i any good at disc golf?

Last edited:
i turned 60 this year. i throw a good drive 300' give or take 20' (golf shot). i also putt and approach on a 970 rated player level. i don't rattle around A-holes, and have been playing the better part of 40 yrs. i've witnessed the transition from frisbees to modern golf discs and adapted. i putt at least 100 putts a day six day a week on either my outdoor or indoor putting areas. i am also very happy with my game but am always looking to improve despite being HANDICAPPED by my ever increasing age .

If you get up and down from 200' and in basically every time, you're good at disc golf.

Anyone who can do that will get even par at worst on basically any course, and pretty much has to pick up some birdies along the way. And I don't think anyone would ever think someone with that much earned consistency is bad at disc golf.

i turned 60 this year. i throw a good drive 300' give or take 20' (golf shot). i also putt and approach on a 970 rated player level. i don't rattle around A-holes, and have been playing the better part of 40 yrs. i've witnessed the transition from frisbees to modern golf discs and adapted. i putt at least 100 putts a day six days a week on either my outdoor or indoor putting areas. i am also very happy with my game but am always looking to improve despite being HANDICAPPED by my ever increasing age .

Yeah you are good, good for a geriatric. Not good compared to able bodied men. But I bet you kick the crap out of your peers!

This is anti-noob, but after that self reflection a few posts ago I remembered the time some noob was complaining about his destroyer wasn't flying right, then asked what I threw and how it went so far (about 250' mind you) I stared at him in disbelief for a second and replied "In my day, 7 speed fairways were considered fast and far" "Oh, that was my wasp by the way"

its all about the little beak at the end of the nose

Do not however mistake an old DX Eagle photo with micro bead near nose on the wing on the disc for a Eagle X unless it truly is an old DX Eagle X with micro bead near nose on the wing on the disc. I have seen new players from 2000's before my dad gave his old DX circle Eagle to my brother for a Champion Eagle in a dumb I-Dye choice of colors and a new DX Eagle at the time, a Yellow disc.

Last edited:
Do not however mistake an old DX Eagle photo with micro bead near nose on the wing on the disc for a Eagle X unless it truly is an old DX Eagle X with micro bead near nose on the wing on the disc. I have seen new players from 2000's before my dad gave his old DX circle Eagle to my brother for a Champion Eagle in a dumb I-Dye choice of colors and a new DX Eagle at the time, a Yellow disc.

R/wooooooosh

Yeah you are good, good for a geriatric. Not good compared to able bodied men. But I bet you kick the crap out of your peers!

I have a good idea and it's right up your alley. Go to picadilly or some other place where senior citizens might congregate. Then stand up on a table and challenge any and all to a potato sack race. This should make you feel much better about yourself. When it's over, take a deep breath and blow it out your AZZ.

I have a good idea and it's right up your alley. Go to picadilly or some other place where senior citizens might congregate. Then stand up on a table and challenge any and all to a potato sack race. This should make you feel much better about yourself. When it's over, take a deep breath and blow it out your AZZ.

Lol. Things noobs say: I throw far, so I'm better.

Lol. Things noobs say: I throw far, so I'm better.

Thats truth though, don't ya know? If you don't bomb a country mile, obviously you suck at discing and should feel ashamed for playing.

***I feel the need to add, since this is the internet and people don't always catch sarcasm, that this is a very sarcastic comment made in regards to previous conversations here***

^^^ there is a lot of truth here. I was throwing 400 way before I was a decent player.

Yelling out what they got on X hole before everyone holed out.

Asking for a score update after every hole/every other hole.

Every time you throw a disc is practice. I have no idea what that last statement was supposed to imply.

At any rate, the idea that someone can throw max 300' yet usually hits the fairway is laughable. At that range you are simply a terrible disc golfer. Only a child, female, elderly, or otherwise handicapped golfer would possibly fit that description. For a regularly abled adult 300' with accuracy means you COULD decide to dig in for more distance. So what you are calling a boring easy par 3 is really just a product of the old man golf being played.

Of course it is much more likely that these 300' throwers you refer to in fact do not have accuracy, it is just that your wide open Texas courses require no accuracy. Put them on a well designed course and those easy par 3s turn into legit par 4s for that golfer.

There are many decent disc golfers who can throw 300 and straight. The argument can be made that on most courses, 300 and straight will yield a better score than 400 and off target. Which one is the terrible disc golfer? Distance doesn't always equate to being a disc golfer and lack of distance doesn't equate to be a terrible disc golfer.

Honestly you just sound like a troll sitting behind a keyboard trying to insult others to make you feel good about yourself. What is YOUR average distance, what is YOUR rating. Until you disclose that, there is absolutely no way we can know how we should take any of your statements. Do we simply ignore you? Do we rush to follow all your posts in hope of you offering up some guru-like advice on how to be a non-terrible disc golfer? Or do we just bust your chops, knowing that we should not take you seriously at all?

I can't decide if it was great to be a noob in the pre-DG on the Internet era or not. On the one hand, we basically had the Innova flight chart as our guide to picking discs. On the other, we couldn't go online and see a gazillion people shaming us for brand/plastic/putting style/etc choices.

I have to say the good outweighs the bad in the modern internet era. Having been the epitome of a noob way back pre-internet and quitting after a few months because I couldn't throw anything but a 150' noob-hyzer and just didn't have access to knowledge. Fast forward 20+ years and try again starting all over and throwing just like I did back then... go home pull up google and youtube and bam. Instant improvement and much much more enjoyment.

The trolling and shaming can easily be ignored.

^^^ there is a lot of truth here. I was throwing 400 way before I was a decent player.

Exactly. Throwing 300' is such a laughably short distance that if you spent all of the time to become a great disc golfer but somehow didn't pass 300' even by accident I would say you are probably handicapped in some way. Look at your example; you got to 400' without spending enough time to become a decent player.

There are many decent disc golfers who can throw 300 and straight. The argument can be made that on most courses, 300 and straight will yield a better score than 400 and off target. Which one is the terrible disc golfer? Distance doesn't always equate to being a disc golfer and lack of distance doesn't equate to be a terrible disc golfer.

Nobody said 300' accuracy was a bad thing for disc golf. The discussion is whether someone that had a MAXIMUM 300' can be considered good absent some handicap. And my answer is still no. There is no way a grown man can max out at 300' and be good. That means throwing their very hardest without regard for accuracy and not being able to break 300'. A true noodle arm.

The next contention was that there were people out there that throw 300' MAXIMUM with perfect accuracy. That means throwing their absolute hardest they not only could not break 300', but they also magically maintained 100% accuracy using their MAXIMUM power. For such a person to exist I would propose that they would need some physical handicap to be present that would limit their distance to 300' while being able to still get perfect accuracy. This is an extremely reasonable assertion.

Latest posts