• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throw that putter damn it!

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am amazed at how many people are afraid to throw their putter more than 50ft. I was in a tournament about 3 weeks ago, and we had a temp hole that was only about 90ft. I pulled out my approach disc which is a 168 Soft Magnet (thank you again for the disc Eric) and everyone else was pulling out midranges. I told them, "hey guys, this is a putter shot" and they all said they would rather throw a midrange. I just missed the chains for a chance at an Ace. Everyone in the group was kind of shocked.

I just wanted to let all of you newer players know that your putter goes much farther than you think and its pretty accurate. Don't be afraid to throw you putter. Most people, even newbies, can throw a putter at least 100ft. Give it a try. You will be amazed.

Agreed. I wish I could throw my putter further myself, but anything 150ft out or in that range is perfect for the putter. The putters are designed to stick when they hit the ground so why not go at it and let the disc do what it is supposed to. Leave the midranges for the 200 to 275 ft stuff.

By the way, some of the pros that I have played with would much rather reach for their putter than anything else on holes that are less than 300 ft.

If its under 150' I'll tee off with either a voodoo or wizard.

I've just started using my putter for approach/tee shots (when applicable) this year. I don't have great distance with it, but i use it a lot for short downhill holes and approach shots between 50-100ft.

That being said, I use a KCPro Aviar and it feel similar to a mid-range, that is one of the main reasons I like these discs so much.

When I was first getting started I was advised to get a driving putter. It was good advice. For most shots between 40' and 100' I use an Aero. It has good glide and is very controllable. I find an advantage in throwing the slowest, most controllable disc that I can.

I find an advantage in throwing the slowest, most controllable disc that I can.
Agreed. I take the driver out of my hand whenever possible. A few weeks ago a guy literally yelled "DO YOU HAVE A (censored) DRIVER IN THAT BAG?" in my face on the back nine. He was ticked off that he had out driven me on every hole and was three strokes down to me. I just kept throwing Comets and Wizards into the fairway while he threw Destroyers into the shule.

The chicken said it! Throw the slowest disc you can and still make it to the basket. The accuracy on slower discs tends to be greater than higher speeds.

still working on it

I agree. I had a newbie I was teaching at the practice field yesterday throw his Soft Magnet at least 70ft. I have throw both my hard Magnet and my Soft Magent up to 170ft at the practice field.

do you use the x step or what?
Yeah, you still X step. You just can't hurry it. If you try to overpower a putter, it will turn and burn. The slow discs need smooth. You need a slower arm speed. Not a lot slower, just a tick. You have to make up for the slower arm speed with more snap. So the pull through needs to be smooth and controlled and right across you chest.

I love driving with my putters. I have aced a 182' hole twice...once with a DX aviar and once with a KC Pro Aviar. They are just so controllable and have little fade. If I am going for a longer drive with a putter (200'-225') I will throw it with some hyzer to make up for that flip with all that snap crackle and pop:D

Thing about throwing a putter far is many folks will carry a new climo hard putter (or something similar) for drives and use a different putter for actual putts.

My beat to heck soft putter will never go as far as my rock hard climo aviar no matter what form i use... it is too beat and understable. I would have to release it angled at the ground to even get it to go straight... much less far.

I have parked a 326 foot hole at pa davis with a climo aviar putter (#3)
Tpat watched it land.

Last edited:
I love driving with my putters. I have aced a 182' hole twice...once with a DX aviar and once with a KC Pro Aviar. They are just so controllable and have little fade. If I am going for a longer drive with a putter (200'-225') I will throw it with some hyzer to make up for that flip with all that snap crackle and pop:D

I have never thought about doing that. I want to try to throw my Putter close to 200ft, but I was afraid of it turing over.

Thing about throwing a putter far is many folks will carry a new climo hard putter (or something similar) for drives and use a different putter for actual putts.

My beat to heck soft putter will never go as far as my rock hard climo aviar no matter what form i use... it is too beat and understable. I would have to release it angled at the ground to even get it to go straight... much less far.

I have parked a 326 foot hole at pa davis with a climo aviar putter (#3)
Tpat watched it land.

I need to get another KC Pro Aviar to use for driving now since my current one is getting beaten in. My DX aviar is much more understable and I can't throw it near as far now as I could when it was new.

Another think to keep in mind when driving with putters on longer shots is to use a grip that works. I can't throw my putters far with my putting grip, so I use my midrange grip which is comfortable for letting 'em rip.

This may be in questionable taste, but this is what a tell players. It's the old bull-new bull theory.

Does anybody remember the movie Colors? In that movie the Robert Duvall character tells his young partner a story. "There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: 'Hey pop, let's say we run down there and (censored) one of them cows.' The older one says: 'No son. Lets walk down and (censored) 'em all.'"

Your drivers are your young bulls. They are fast, and they do basically one thing well. Your midranges and putters are your old bulls. They are slow and deliberate and do a lot of things very well.

If you want to "(censored) 'em all" i.e. beat everyone you play against, you had better be depending on your old bulls.

This may be in questionable taste, but this is what a tell players. It's the old bull-new bull theory.

Does anybody remember the movie Colors? In that movie the Robert Duvall character tells his young partner a story. "There's two bulls standing on top of a mountain. The younger one says to the older one: 'Hey pop, let's say we run down there and (censored) one of them cows.' The older one says: 'No son. Lets walk down and (censored) 'em all.'"

Your drivers are your young bulls. They are fast, and they do basically one thing well. Your midranges and putters are your old bulls. They are slow and deliberate and do a lot of things very well.

If you want to "(censored) 'em all" i.e. beat everyone you play against, you had better be depending on your old bulls.

Never seen it, but nice analogy;)

You rock man! That was great, and a great way to put it.

I was telling a new guy and my son that it dosen't matter how far you can throw, if you can't put the disc where you want it, what is the point.