• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Throwing a Teebird vs a TL

jbmagic21

I am still fairly new to the game, and I have a DX Teebird that I've been throwing to satisfaction. I recently bought a TL and I throw a big meat hook. Why is this since they are the same speed, and I can throw the Teebird straight as an arrow. They are also the same weight. Any help will be appreciated.

There are a number of factors at work here: plastic (DX vs Star), damage to the DX Teebird, variation in the manufacturing process.

what condition is the teebird? I assume it is more worn. A nicely seasoned teebird should fly similar to a TL. Also, is the TL champ or star?

Some TL's are meathooks for some reason. I have a TL that is way overstable. Innova discs aren't as consistant as you would hope.

yeah condition, weight and plastics would help but a seasoned dx teebird and a tl "should" be pretty close to each other but again some runs just vary

Thanks for the info. My Teebird does have quite a bit of rounds under its belt. My TL is a star. I wouldn't think the plastic would have that big effect on it. I want to upgrade my Teebird though. Should I get a champ or star. I want it to fly as similar to my dx one. I will continue to work with my TL since I've only played a couple of rounds with it. I was just surprised how different it flew.

Thanks for the info. My Teebird does have quite a bit of rounds under its belt. My TL is a star. I wouldn't think the plastic would have that big effect on it. I want to upgrade my Teebird though. Should I get a champ or star. I want it to fly as similar to my dx one. I will continue to work with my TL since I've only played a couple of rounds with it. I was just surprised how different it flew.

No new TeeBird will fly like your old DX.
First question, Why upgrade? If your old DX flies well for you, then keep throwing it. If you feel the need to get a new disc, get another DX TeeBird.

Second question, Why upgrade to premium plastic? If you must get a new disc in premium plastic, get a Star Teebird in a lighter weight (165g?)

A new TL will be more overstable than a beat DX TeeBird. Keep working with it, cause it will take a while for it to beat in.

A Champ or Star Teebird is going to have a decent amount more fade on it, compared to the DX. You can always try to beat in it, but that takes time. Otherwise, I can recommend a Discraft Stalker or a Latitude 64 River... both are really good, straight discs.

Or, wait for it...just buy another DX Teebird!

Last edited:
I guess my thought was since I do hit a lot of obsticles getting a more durable plastic in the Teebird would save some cash in the long run. I am not opposed to staying with the DX.

I'd go and get the premium plastic then... if you hit a lot of obstacles than this turns out to be a good thing as after a season or two your new star teebird will be exactly what you want and will stay that way for a good while... the DX will need to be replaced often... I'd put in the work and get the star teebird...

my 2 pennies...

you get the whole 'beat-in' thing right?
DX beats in fast as all get-out but gets to be too beat-in quickest of all the plastics
Champ and Star take longer to get the 'beat-in' effect but stay that way longer
Beat-in discs fly more understable than they do when new...

I would keep the TL and throw the crap out of it. And also get another DX teebird. A champ/star teebird is going to be more of a meathook for you than the TL is.

i like the grip of the DX teebird and once you beat it in, it will have more glide and fly further than any other plastic. a champ or star one will be more stable with less glide (and fly shorter) for quite awhile until they beat in a bit.

try cycling DX teebirds. you've got a seasoned one now and a new DX will have more stability. eventually the first one will beat into a turnover disc, the newer one will be a beat in straight flyer and then add another new one for hyzer drives.

I can see all that as being true too... I just prefer to get my discs beat-in...

I don't like how chewed up DX can get...

Star plastic is esp nice as it takes a bit to get 'em the way you want them but they tend to stay just-right for a longer time

i like the grip of the DX teebird and once you beat it in, it will have more glide and fly further than any other plastic. a champ or star one will be more stable with less glide (and fly shorter) for quite awhile until they beat in a bit.

try cycling DX teebirds. you've got a seasoned one now and a new DX will have more stability. eventually the first one will beat into a turnover disc, the newer one will be a beat in straight flyer and then add another new one for hyzer drives.

Several people keep multiples of the same disc in their bag at various stages of wear and or different plastics, as those factors can significantly affect flight and/or heavily influence disc selection for a given shot. One for straight and one for flippy turnover shots, maybe even rollers, or one for lots of fade and the other for straight or even turnover shots.

Star is good stuff, but if you're looking for a disc to stay at a given level of "beat-in-ed-ness" nothing beats Champ or Z plastic. Like Noill said... takes longer to get get to the desired level, but stays there the longest.
Translates into more consistent performance because they evolve slower. Barring major scars or gashes, clear plastics like Elite-Z and Champ don't change much from round to round, even if you whack the heck out of a tree. Star is definitely tougher than DX, but I've had them change pretty significantly after a really bad impact. :eek:
Not so with Champ/Z.

Many experienced players (myself included) elect to go with low end plastic on putters. Personally I like the softer feel and think it results in less spit outs when you hit chains/basket, and typically have less roll, skip, or bounce on putts and upshots because they absorb more energy on impact than harder plastics, and tend to have a bit grippier surface. But again that;s really a personal preference. If something works for you or you like the the feel of something, then that's probably the right choice, especially when it comes to putting.

Last edited:
I guess my thought was since I do hit a lot of obsticles getting a more durable plastic in the Teebird would save some cash in the long run. I am not opposed to staying with the DX.

Just know that current runs of DX are starting to incorporate R-Pro and are going to last even shorter amounts of time. Good news for people who want a seasoned Teebird quicker, bad news for people who want a DX disc to stay in the $ Zone longer.

Latest posts