• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

I have a star thunderbird on the way. I've only thrown a g star and I like it but it doesn't do anything my teebirds don't do.

So I am thinking of maybe picking up a Star Thunderbird tomorrie (today) and just wondering how they fly. I have been wanting a go-to driver to pair with my Teebird for longer shots. Just something I can push out further than my TB for shots that don't quite call for my Wraith.

Anyway... how does it fly? Similarly to a Teebird? It seems people's reactions are different so I am not sure if this porridge is too hot or too cold or just right :p.

So I am thinking of maybe picking up a Star Thunderbird tomorrie (today) and just wondering how they fly. I have been wanting a go-to driver to pair with my Teebird for longer shots. Just something I can push out further than my TB for shots that don't quite call for my Wraith.

Anyway... how does it fly? Similarly to a Teebird? It seems people's reactions are different so I am not sure if this porridge is too hot or too cold or just right :p.

did you seriously not read any of these pages of information?

Yea I read all 76 pages

I have scantly followed this thread. Thus I am asking here instead of trying to weed out all the information I am after.

wow. useless.

thb is like the pd but thb dumps harder rather than a forward fade as the pd does. fights wind just fine. more d potential from a pd.

yes fits between wraith and tb

I ordered one of the McBeth Champs, I am excited to check it out! I usually grab discs on the heavier end of the weight spectrum, but only light weights were available when I ordered, so I grabbed a 168g. You guys still think it will be awesome at that weight? Light weights freak me out sometimes lol

I ordered one of the McBeth Champs, I am excited to check it out! I usually grab discs on the heavier end of the weight spectrum, but only light weights were available when I ordered, so I grabbed a 168g. You guys still think it will be awesome at that weight? Light weights freak me out sometimes lol

If you think that way then the disc will not work for you. Forget the weight when you throw it and see how that works.

One thing I've realized is how mental this game is, if you think it, it will happen.

If anything, the apparent lighter weight ones are just lighter. Really no difference at all in them. :thmbup:

thats the way all discs are until we start talking like 15 grams difference. i love when people wont accept like a 171 instead of a 172 for a trade. if you can feel that one gram difference you deserve a huge prize. if you blind tested me on a bunch of discs i probably couldnt tell the difference unless it was over 10 or 15 grams

I've got a 175 Metal Flake. I think it flies straighter for longer than a PD and I like the feel in the hand a bit better but I think that is due to the plastic. I enjoy the give in the metal flake plastic. And the PD that I had and threw at length was + mold.

From what I have read in this thread, yes. I'm not sure how the protostar champ ones fly. Just to clarify, the MF is overstable. I can flex it out of an anhyzer and there is not even a hint of turn to it but it really does push forward for quite a while.

Yeah I'm pumped to get my hands on my McBeth Champs to compare to the metal flakes. I love my metal flakes, I'm really hoping I wont see much of any difference between the two.

Oh that sounds like Proto star champ to me. Let me know. I consider my g star and glow stable. And the proto was over stable for sure. I'll be Geri g a production Champ in the mail sometime so I'll do a review when it comes in. Have a star as well but I don't think I'm going to throw it. Prolly wait for production star. Been thinking about buying a metal flake as well.

thats the way all discs are until we start talking like 15 grams difference. i love when people wont accept like a 171 instead of a 172 for a trade. if you can feel that one gram difference you deserve a huge prize. if you blind tested me on a bunch of discs i probably couldnt tell the difference unless it was over 10 or 15 grams

just pulled that move:gross:

I do agree with you except for putters. I can absolutely see weight differences in flight.

I was finally able to get out and take a few good rips with my Star Thunderbirds. I can say that I definitely cannot wait for the winter to be over with so I can have better grip, better footing, and several less layers of clothes.

The Thunderbird did well, exactly what you would expect out of TeeBird style throws. When cleanly thrown level and low to the ground it was dead-accurate with no significant fade, landing relatively flat - less than five feet roll from point of impact (keeping in mind there was snow on the ground).

When I have micro-griplocks, I have a tendency to obviously release late and with the mildest of hyzers. If I have enough room to work on the right, the added hyzer can sometimes bring it back on to target, therefore I will get the end result I wanted even though it was not the intended flight path. Three times I felt like it was a late release, a bad throw, and still it landed within the circle.

What really has me looking forward to Spring is when these are slightly seasoned in. Once seasoned if they get the slightest of turns these things will be absolute money for precision distance. I had several shots where if it would have turned maybe three to five to the right before fading, thus the initial part of the fade would be going forward and not left, I would have been in the circle on 400 foot holes.

These Stars are so close to what I want.

Threw my new Star and 3x today vs my Proto and Asia Open that I've had in the bag, all max weight.

For me, order of stability least stable to most stable/overstable is: Asia Open - Star - 3x/Proto. But a few things to note, the Asia Open has quite a few throws. Once beat, the Star will take the Asia Open's place. The 3x and Proto are very similar as of now, but again the Proto has some rounds on it. So the 3x is a tad less overstable than the Protos. Close enough that I'll be taking the Proto out of the bag though.

With all standstill throws today, I used them anywhere from 300-350 all hyzers. They are hyzer butter for sure, but I can see these being workhorses as they get beat and take more slots in the bag. Never had the opportunity to throw flex shots, but I can see those working out well too with the heavy late fade.