• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

So, has anyone thrown the gstar and star versions of this disc side by side? I am currently bagging two gstars, and one is starting to turn a little more than it used to. Does the star plastic fly noticeably more overstable?

Under to overstable i'd rate them gstar, jl champ, metal flake champ,star.Honestly i was expecting the champion plastic to be more overstable but that hasn't been the case so far.

So is the star closer to beat firebird? My JL's are not proving to be as stable as I wanted. As others have said they are overlapping the orc a bit much, at least in the wind. I can't give up my orcs.

So is the star closer to beat firebird? My JL's are not proving to be as stable as I wanted. As others have said they are overlapping the orc a bit much, at least in the wind. I can't give up my orcs.

^ Like

I'd like to try a Star too. I'm just not a fan of that pepto bismol/creamcicle swirly plastic. It usually seems to beef the molds up a bit that are run in it, but its just ugly to me and harder to find. If they start making them in solid colors like Blaze orange and Dayglow I'll def pick one up.

Does this have too much turn to be a solid standalone workhorse-type disc in its speed slot?

My current plan is to stick with my old Leopard/Teebird/Firebird lineup for fairway drivers, and either Destroyers or Trespasses/Enforcers for the distance slot. I'd like to carry just one disc for those tweener shots that are between the fairway and distance drivers. I don't want to carry more than 1 or 2 discs in this slot, and definitely only 1 mold.

Right now I'm looking at the PD, Tesla and Thunderbird as potential discs to fill that slot.

^ Like

I'd like to try a Star too. I'm just not a fan of that pepto bismol/creamcicle swirly plastic. It usually seems to beef the molds up a bit that are run in it, but its just ugly to me and harder to find. If they start making them in solid colors like Blaze orange and Dayglow I'll def pick one up.

I have a very ugly star swirl and its actually easy to find in the grass. It doesnt look good but its still a great disc.

I've only thrown it in the field but I can see how lots of people can find this disc useful. It flew predictibly straight for me and had about a 10-15ft fade at the very end of the flight. Almost all my throws came out to right at 300ft.

Does this have too much turn to be a solid standalone workhorse-type disc in its speed slot?

My current plan is to stick with my old Leopard/Teebird/Firebird lineup for fairway drivers, and either Destroyers or Trespasses/Enforcers for the distance slot. I'd like to carry just one disc for those tweener shots that are between the fairway and distance drivers. I don't want to carry more than 1 or 2 discs in this slot, and definitely only 1 mold.

Right now I'm looking at the PD, Tesla and Thunderbird as potential discs to fill that slot.

I don't think so. It's been my only go-to control driver and I couldn't be happier. I carry 2 stars, 1 champ, and 1 G*. I'm trying to beat a G* understable.

I have Glow Champ and GStar Thunderbirds and 4 Teslas, Neutron and Proton. I used to have an S-Line PD but never clicked with it. Honestly I think any of those could get the "workhorse tweener" spot in the bag. I'd rate my specimens this way (most understable to most overstable): N Tesla, GStar Thunderbird, P Tesla, Glow Champ Thunderbird.

I'm not sure if the production champ Thunderbirds are less stable than my glow champ, so that could have an affect. Also, apparently the star Thunderbirds are even more overstable. So if you really want the most overstable Thunderbirds, you could probably pick up some of either glow champ or star the next time a CFR or tour series release happens.

I am guessing somebody has already stated this in the 84 pages of this thread, but I will throw it out there again. Now that I've had a chance to throw the C-CD2 and the Champ Thunderbird side by side, these two molds seem to fly very similar lines. Anybody else think that too?

thunderbird/cd2

My stock stamp champ thunderbird flies more like the description and flight numbers of the cd2. I have not held or thrown a cd2, but with the timing of the two releases my guess is these are probably the same disc with a different name for the different companies.

I think it works perfectly for that. That's exactly what my my driver set up is right now (leopard, teebird, firebird, thunderbird, destroyer) and it seems to cover all the shots just fine. I think once my JL breaks in fully it will be a pretty versatile disc. Just enough turn to hit a variety of lines with a good strong comeback at the end

Leopard/TeeBird/Firebird is the best fairway lineup there is. I recently started throwing the new JL T3's because I like how flat they are compared to 12x's. My only complaint is they're only available in max weight and I'd prefer them to be 165-170 but they'll beat in eventually. I just got two JL Thunderbirds at 167g and they have the perfect amount of turn and fit nicely between my TeeBirds and Destroyers.

So a bunch of people in this thread have said they are beating up a GStar Thunderbird to hopefully be a turnover disc. Has anyone successfully done this yet? I saw one in the store yesterday and it felt nice.

It's not good that I've gotten back into disc golf, just in time for the weather to get crappy. Because now I can't play more than once a week or so, and I spend the rest of the time re-building my bag for next season.

I feel like that would take a long time just judging from my teebird

So a bunch of people in this thread have said they are beating up a GStar Thunderbird to hopefully be a turnover disc. Has anyone successfully done this yet? I saw one in the store yesterday and it felt nice.

It's not good that I've gotten back into disc golf, just in time for the weather to get crappy. Because now I can't play more than once a week or so, and I spend the rest of the time re-building my bag for next season.

I have a gstar Thunderbird that I've had for about a month. Even playing 4-5 times a week I think it would take over a year in my opinion to be a turnover disc. I'm not a disc cycler though...I just carry a gstar leopard for that slot.

Gstar Thunderbirds are turnover discs, if compared to the stoutness of the jolly launchers and swirly star ones. I'm currently bagging three Thunderbirds now. Gstars are the Flippiest and i turn them over...get a star or a jl. If you don't throw fast or hard, please ignore. This comment wasn't for you. :)

Leopard/TeeBird/Firebird is the best fairway lineup there is. I recently started throwing the new JL T3's because I like how flat they are compared to 12x's. My only complaint is they're only available in max weight and I'd prefer them to be 165-170 but they'll beat in eventually. I just got two JL Thunderbirds at 167g and they have the perfect amount of turn and fit nicely between my TeeBirds and Destroyers.

JLS/TB/T3/FB

I don't see my fairway setup changing for the next couple of years. Star Leos were great but for w/e reason the JLS and I just clicked.

So as my crusade to disc down continues, I've officially taken out my PFN Orcs and put in Champ Thunderbirds. Out of the box, they're giving me good 340-350' lines, very much like my Orcs. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Champ breaks in, and I'm thinking a Star (when they hit production runs)/Champ/Saint lineup will be perfect for me.

The biggest reason for the switch is sausage fingers. My release is much more repeatable with a speed 9 rim. I never thought I'd dump my Orcs, but there it is.

Sell me them Orcs! LOL somewhat kidding. I have found myself going to a jl thunderbird more than the orc too. I still carry both though, my orcs will actually hold a hyzer better than a JL champ thunderbird. For straight distance when a destroyer or tern is too much, give me that JL thunderbird as long as I have some room to the right to flex. I have tried a star too. Mine scales at 173 and is much more high speed overstable than G* or JL, but still seems capable of getting some distance. Not a replacement for a beat up firebird like I wanted :( still too understable.

Latest posts