• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Thunderbird

The Elasto Sampos from the Trilogy Challenge are a little more overstable than a fresh Thunderbird while the production VIPs are a little less stable. The Boatman is a very different disc. I like to think of the Thunderbird/Sampo as a Speed 10 Teebird, but the Boatman is more like an Eagle L. It comes out of the box with some definite turn right out of your hand, though the eventual fade is similar to the other two.

Dominator is a completely different disc.

Now I am curious what Boatmans you have been throwing. The ones I have used in the past (2-3 years ago) were maximum weight VIPs. They had incredibly HSS, next to impossible to flip, and they did not like holding anhyzers for long. They also did not have much in the way of LSS, but they appeared overstable because it refused to go right (rhbh). Their fade was short but abrupt. Basically it immediately dumped into the ground after losing its speed, like it had no glide once it started slowing down.

Now I am curious what Boatmans you have been throwing. The ones I have used in the past (2-3 years ago) were maximum weight VIPs. They had incredibly HSS, next to impossible to flip, and they did not like holding anhyzers for long. They also did not have much in the way of LSS, but they appeared overstable because it refused to go right (rhbh). Their fade was short but abrupt. Basically it immediately dumped into the ground after losing its speed, like it had no glide once it started slowing down.

Definitely not a problem I have been having. I just picked up a couple of the current run 172 VIPs and it feels like throwing a new Star Beast. Turns out of my hand, but has the stability to come out of it. I will grant that the fade is dumpier than the Thunderbird/Sampo, but it is not much more severe. I suspect that it will get even flippier once the flashing wears off.

I saw some 140 weight ThBs on Marshall St and wonder how much less stable they would be starting off. I only have a fresh 166 that I got tonite but I do enjoy a good light disc too :)

Nah, mine seem immune to damage. One's got some nicks and dents on it, but still flying very stabley with a nice fade. It doesn't help that it rained in Portland every single day in December until yesterday (literally); I haven't been out playing a lot lately. :\

I finally found a few of these DX Thunderbirds out in the wild. I couldnt resist a 147 and 170 after getting to feel the plastic in person. Im curious to see how they fly and beat in...

On the ones you have how are they flying about a month later?

I finally found a few of these DX Thunderbirds out in the wild. I couldnt resist a 147 and 170 after getting to feel the plastic in person. Im curious to see how they fly and beat in...

On the ones you have how are they flying about a month later?

Still almost no turn, just a bit more glide. They start out almost like DX Firebirds, but with more glide. So far, they just seem to gain glide, but are still very high speed stable with a very solid fade.

Ive been rough on mine. Throwing thumbers and practice shots with it even when not a good disc for the shot.

Its not in all that terrible of a shape.

I played a round friday and i guess last shot the round before finished her off. First shot it turned over. Thought it was a fluke. But nope. Thing is a hyzer flip machine. Had alot of fun ripping up trap pond in the snow with it.

I thought i needed a beat thunderbird. Yep i was right.

My thunderbirds have been replaced by gstar pdx's. When it warms up I'll go back to my champ thunders.

I'm guessing the gstar pdx is what he's asking about...and that's a no...right? Thought those were still only C-Line runs.

Has to be G-Line PD. PDX wouldn't make any sense (because there's no such thing that I'm aware of and the PDX is not comparable). G-PD would be the closest winter variant to the Thunderbird.

First Thunderbird was a 166DX, then just got a 147 DX and 169 GStar Thunderbird to pair w it. The 147 definitely goes straight longer, small bit of turn, then finishes almost as hard as the 166. The G Star is pretty to look at and had a great flight. Bit more turn and doesn't fade as hard as the DX. I tried them out FH and tomahawk along w my new Pro and G Valks. 45 degree hawks turned them into rollers altho the 147 fought flat and got some extra range. The G Stars were actually my faves for both molds. Looking forward to more w them soon

Came across a DX Thunderbird at PIAS the other day, and needed to get over $20 to get my card stamped, I went ahead and purchased it. DX plastic felt good, it was flat-topped, 172g.

Took it out with my other DX discs and played a round on a heavily technical/wooded course that has some dogleg-left holes. For my RHBH throw, the DX Thunderbird was oustanding on these holes. It flew well, straighter than my Champ and (especially) Star Thunderbirds, then faded nicely. Bounced off a tree or two, so it'll be seasoning in.

Good disc, the DX Thunderbird. I should've gotten one earlier....

DX Thunderbird came recommended to me a few months ago for the extra speed and glide I was looking for. Nice and flat and floats excellent for my arm speed. I think it actually flies awesome both RHBH and RHFH. Very good disc and I recommend it for sure. Was my favorite disc of choice for a few months especially on the wide open holes without trees (to avoid damaging the DX cheapy plastic)

Yeah. Mine is rock hard and never changes.

Who's the idiot that's been crying for the stiff star plastic? I'm not a fan of this stuff.

I love stiff star plastic. I got a stiff Roadrunner that flies pretty stable, it's actually very similar to my S-Line FD. Perhaps more stable. FeelsGoodMan

Latest posts