• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tick prevention?

Qstick333

Birdie Member
I'm curious what you guys do, if anything, to try and prevent ticks? I've been using a 30% deet spray on my shoes, socks and legs and am diligent about checking as soon as I get home.

A couple weeks ago I found a deer tick that had burrowed deep into my back. My wife tried to get it out in one pc. but it came out in sections. I was worried since I started having joint pain, which has since almost completely gone away. I spoke to my Dr. but since I didn't have the bullseye rash and it was apparently too soon to do the blood test, he told me to note any symptoms and continue with life. I've never had a fever, the rash, the fatigue, etc... so I wonder if some of the joint pain wasn't psychosomatic.

So, anything other then diligence in checking that I should be doing?

I have a couple pair of pants that I treat with Permethrin each year. I generally don't wear shorts when I play, just for this reason. I picked up Lyme a few years ago playing ball golf. Other than that, all you can do is make sure you check closely after you play.

Organic Coconut Oil works for me.

I apply it around all entry points on myself.

I don't know why it works, but the only time I didn't use it before a tournament/round, I ended up with a tick in me and Lyme's Disease.

Organic Coconut Oil works for me.

I apply it around all entry points on myself.

I don't know why it works, but the only time I didn't use it before a tournament/round, I ended up with a tick in me and Lyme's Disease.

If you do actually get bitten, make sure to drink your Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.

i go shirtless generally, and wear shorts with vibram five fingers in the summer. i like to soak up the sun.

i catch every single tick almost as soon as they're on me and i don't have to worry about them crawling around in my clothes to be found/latched on later since i'm not wearing much.

it might be dumb, but it's worked quite well for me. minnesota isn't TOO terrible for ticks. if i were in a place where they were worse, i'd probably take more precautions. also i don't find myself in the rough stuff too much. ;)

my experience is probably useless to you, and i personally wouldn't take my own advice if i were you, but yeah. that's how i do it.

If you do actually get bitten, make sure to drink your Organic Apple Cider Vinegar.
THIS!!!! I wash ANY bites with it also. Itching disappears and bites heals so much faster. That said prevention is key so it's best to spray down with it if any threats beforehand.

Come throw in Finland, we just got 6+ inches of snow yesterday/last night :D . Ticks might be an issue four months from now, maybe.

Premethrin. Good game.

After reading about this this morning, I ordered a bottle from Amazon to treat my shoes and socks. I might have to get a pair of pre-treated pants. I just hare wearing pants and sweating profusely....but it beats lymes.

i go shirtless generally, and wear shorts with vibram five fingers in the summer. i like to soak up the sun.

i catch every single tick almost as soon as they're on me and i don't have to worry about them crawling around in my clothes to be found/latched on later since i'm not wearing much.

it might be dumb, but it's worked quite well for me. minnesota isn't TOO terrible for ticks. if i were in a place where they were worse, i'd probably take more precautions. also i don't find myself in the rough stuff too much. ;)

my experience is probably useless to you, and i personally wouldn't take my own advice if i were you, but yeah. that's how i do it.

Dude, yeah it is, Have you been up to Vision Quest in the Spring? Last year it was terrible. I had 5 on me in 1 round....I forgot that Spring golf = TICKS

Come throw in Finland, we just got 6+ inches of snow yesterday/last night :D . Ticks might be an issue four months from now, maybe.
They won't be, thanks to cold weather + hardly any snow in January. That should've killed most ticks as frost went deep.

I'm curious what you guys do, if anything, to try and prevent ticks? I've been using a 30% deet spray on my shoes, socks and legs and am diligent about checking as soon as I get home.

A couple weeks ago I found a deer tick that had burrowed deep into my back. My wife tried to get it out in one pc. but it came out in sections. I was worried since I started having joint pain, which has since almost completely gone away. I spoke to my Dr. but since I didn't have the bullseye rash and it was apparently too soon to do the blood test, he told me to note any symptoms and continue with life. I've never had a fever, the rash, the fatigue, etc... so I wonder if some of the joint pain wasn't psychosomatic.

So, anything other then diligence in checking that I should be doing?

I also found a tick on my back a couple of years ago, embedded not as bad as yours but WITH a bullseye. Fortunately no ill effects.

pre-hole tick checks ftw... seriously, we do this in a joking fashion but someone is always hollering 'tick check!' on those wooded rounds

avoid deet or un-natural products... IMO, i'd rather have a few ticks to pick off than cancer i cannot pickoff