• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ticks!

Had a tick bite my back when I was a kid, my dad ripped it off me and a little piece of skin came with it...I hate ticks. Haven't had any issues with them on the course though.

I'm traveling and playing in the Oklahoma City area & they are very, very bad here. I have never had to deal with them before, and I have found I'm not very fond of them @ all. I have pulled a couple out of me, and numerous off my clothes while out here. I feel I have tick phobia while playing now and check myself religiously @ an itchy feeling, or anytime the phobia builds.

DEET DOES NOT WORK!!!!!!!!! It is only about 20% effective against ticks. DEET is a mosquito repellent. Also that is all it does to ticks, repel. Look up PERMETHRIN it actually kills the little boogers when they get on your clothes. This stuff is a spray applied to clothes and last up to 6 weeks even through washing. It is also kinda of expensive, but it works. I have watched about 4 or 5 ticks just fall off and die. It also seems to work on all kinds of other pests. Even the Cicadas seem to stay away now, and if they do make it my clothes they bounce off and keep going. They don't like this stuff at all!!!!!!!!!

The stuff I bought is Sawyer Premium Clothing insect repellent.

I bet this stuff has the "State of California has found the following product to cause :sick::gross:"

When I use to live in CT my wife and I would use flea collars for the dog as well as our selves. We cut them up into strips in slid them into the top of our shoe laces. Worked well. Once we got home and finished deticking the dog (47 was the record one time!) we showered using Dr. Bonners Peppermint soap and the ticks would drop right off. You can learn more about organic ways to repel ticks here...

http://organicdatabank.info/databan...and-tick/604-much-ado-about-lyme-disease.html

Here's a doosie for ya. Found this on my dog :sick:

Like a jellybean with legs!:gross: I've yet to find a tick at my home course, but a lot of the other courses I play in the southern Maine and New Hampshire area are pretty bad. I'm paranoid enough and liberal enough with the DEET that I've never been bitten, so I have to say that paranoia and big spray are the best solutions. I've heard that if you dob some Vaseline on an imbedded tick it will have the same effect as the cotton ball trick. The tick starts to suffocate and pulls out, then you can remove and slaughter it.

I user Dr. Brauner's every day. Dude's a whack job though if you ever read the bottle you'll feel like you are in the Branch Davidian shower room.

The baby ticks are indeed the worst of the culprits and almost impossible to feel or see. And this is the worst time of year for ticks. You are 5 times more likely to contract Lyme Disease from an immature deer tick than an adult. But you can still get the disease from the adults. I HATE TICKS!

DEET does work, as well as other products. Wear light colored clothing with long pants and pull your socks over your pant legs. This offers you extra protection. It wouldn't hurt to spray the bottom and sides of your bag. and spray your shoes, socks and pant legs.

Fortunately here in Western NY although there are ticks, there just doesn't seem to be that many and I have yet to see one at any of the courses I normally play.

On a silly side note. If you are a conspiracy theorist nutjob or you just like poking fun at them, according to Jesse Ventura Lyme disease is a government bio-weapon that escaped a lab in Long Island Sound and got to the shores of CT. Lyme, CT.

the easiest and best way to remove an attached tick is to take a can tab and use the little circle on the inside that attached it to the can as a wedge. you just slide it down from the ticks head and because it's so thin it disconnects the tick without removing the head and causing all of crap in the tick to spew in to your body causing you to get sick or a disease.

another good but messier way is to apply a thick layer of vaseline over the tick. this stops the tick from breathing and he'll back out on his own.

the easiest and best way to remove an attached tick is to take a can tab and use the little circle on the inside that attached it to the can as a wedge. you just slide it down from the ticks head and because it's so thin it disconnects the tick without removing the head and causing all of crap in the tick to spew in to your body causing you to get sick or a disease.

There is also a product available called a Tick Key...

http://www.tickkey.com/

I have yet to try mine, but it sounds like it does the trick.

One season, when I was working as a Naturalist, I averaged close to a dozen ticks a day. Sometimes I would wake up in the middle of the night and feel one crawling on me. If I didn't feel like getting up and flushing it down the toilet, I would just throw it on the floor and hope to find it the next day.

One thing I did notice, if I wore light brown or khaki colored clothing I would get more ticks. I suppose it could be because most mammals are lighter on the underside of their bodies and ticks might see that as a good food source.

Our health department sent out a warning that ticks are already appearing this year and in greater numbers than they have in the past! YEAH!

I found one when I played Idlewild last week, but just chalked it up to being so much further south, finding one so early. Guess they are going to be early everywhere!

Didnt read the whole thread.

But keep in mind for you leg/ankle protectors. Many ticks sit in trees and fall onto you as you are walking. If you are concerned about them (eww they are gross, limes disease, etc.) Check everywhere, protect everywhere. Also, remember, ticks might miss when they drop from whereever they are: you get back to your hotel or home and the little buggers can search you and your pets out after hitching a ride in your DG bag.

Darn this thread. I just had 10 spots on my head and back start to itch just thinking about ticks.

Dogs... ever find a tick on a cat? We find them all the time on our dog. I have 3 outdoor cats. They very rarely have fleas and I have never seen a tick. The dog goes out to pee and comes back in and gets 2 ticks and 20 fleas. Dumb dog.

When I was into climbing , the trick was to put all your clothes and gear on a chair when we were done . If you had any ticks hiding anywhere , they would climb up the chair back to be at the highest point ! If you have one in custody and you breathe (CO2) towards them , they would come towards you !

Latest posts