• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tightest fairways

Hole #3 at Rooster Rock East OR is the longest, tightest I occasionally play...
That was the first one I thought of too when I saw this thread. It's been many years since I played it, so maybe it's opened up some since then, but at the time it was a perfect example of what Chuck alluded to, where it ceases to be a fairway, and is just a "way." Even if you managed to hit the first gap, you still had no opening to speak of past that. Short of having a JFK magic bullet type shot, there was no real way to play the hole smartly, other than a series of chip shots.
66679dcd.jpg

it's the tightest i've played. keep it straight and you get your 3, i did.

I came here to post hole 9 at Bradford. Really there are a lot of charlotte holes that are about the same width, some are longer. What makes the Bradford 9 so hard isn't just how tight it is, but the fact that those cedars form an impenetrable wall of junk if you are off the fairway at all. So any drive that finishes off the fairway is at least a 4 99% of the time.

Truth. The best bet (if you're "going" to miss the line) is to kick left hard enough and lucky enough to get out of the woods, then through down the outside line and punch back in by the bucket. I've done that once for the lucky 3.

One of the tightest I can think of is probably also one the shortest. Hole 17 Sunnyside/Blockhouse is only 133' and probably produces more bogeys than birdies on it:
99238d4a.jpg

66679dcd.jpg

it's the tightest i've played. keep it straight and you get your 3, i did.

I think it was 8 or 9 years ago that I played it. It does look like it's opened up a decent amount though, my recollection was that it was little more than a hiking trail with a tee pad at one end and a basket at the other. That does appear to be more "fair" though, maybe not a great hole, but at least reasonable.

The IUP hole Troy mentioned is brutal. The Shawshank ones hit a sweet spot in tightness and length to where they're definitely doable but definitely punishing.

The first hole that came to my mind that was yet to be mentioned was 15 Trey Deuce. The picture on here doesn't quite do it justice: The leaning tree at that second gap forces you to keep your disc lower than you're like to. This is probably my favorite short and tight hole I've played, because of that little wrinkle of the slanting trees.

Actually, though, I realized that the tightest hole I've ever played is 8 at Malone University in Ohio. It's a weird course sitting in one corner of a small campus. Eight of the holes are completely open, and 8 is set up with a double mando forcing you down a row of trees that are probably four feet apart. It is hilariously tight and difficult even at its meager distance.

Don't have time to link it but summit just outside if Chicago is full of ridiculous fairway after ridiculous fairway. Play there if you want to be in a bad mood.

Don't have time to link it but summit just outside if Chicago is full of ridiculous fairway after ridiculous fairway. Play there if you want to be in a bad mood.
^this. So far in this thread, people have a listed a few specific holes here and there.
Summit is the tightest set of fairways I've played thus far. Nevin's no cake walk, and I've seen quite a few crazy @$$ tunnel shots (some waayy too long to be feasible), but...

Taking the entire course into account: Scummit.

Last edited:
IUP College Lodge - Hole #15 in Indiana, PA
181ft Short Tee
222ft Long Tee

186992cc.jpg

e12cf2d0.jpg

This is what 1/3 of Winter Park looks like. Seriously.

This thread really makes me want to drive an hour just to take pictures of Freitag, though.

This is what 1/3 of Winter Park looks like. Seriously.

This thread really makes me want to drive an hour just to take pictures of Freitag, though.

Wow. It's short and tight holes like these that taught me how to throw two finger rollers, overhand like a baseball. Pretty predictable and easier to aim than a thumber or tomahawk.

Pictures don't really do it justice; and it's not a long course length wise....but, I played just about every hole mentioned throughout this entire discussion and this course belongs in the conversation: Woodlands, Rockton IL. You can score quite a number of birdies out here; but (especially on some of the C and U shaped holes) you can be looking for plastic in the shule on just about every hole as well. It's really a course that could be a rather fun ultimate or zephyr round. I've returned here, more than once, believe it or not; just to convince myself how crazy the course is....(It's kind of Summit like, in that respect...which also happens to be a course I've made return trips too "just for the craziness.")

Last edited:
Reading through these posts just makes me want to play some woods golf! I can already hear my discs hitting the trees!

Growing up in WI with all of the woods golf here has taught me one thing:

Always carry a ridiculously flippy disc for tight tunnel shots.

You can throw it on a hyzer like this / and it will fit through those early tight gaps and flatten out while still finishing straight.

At least that works for me.

I also forgot about I think it's #4 at Cass Benton.

It's almost nonexistent.

Latest posts