• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tips on best way to beat in a disc

Best way to beat in a disc so that the characteristics of it becoming more understable are noticed gradually......throw it more.

Throw a couple tommahawks or thumbers with it or use it for some spike hyzers if the situation permits.

Hey got a new method but sssshhhh don't tell the PDGA. I gotta break in one of my backup Surges for the Cortez Dawg Days triple tourney July 24... so it's a radical and accelerated program. I've been throwing it off my hill with a 50' drop getting the dog to fetch it and then beating it on the top with a hammer where the inside of the rim ends. In two days I've beat the dome down halfway. I also leave it on top of a flat surface in the sun with a Putt'R upside down on top with a !small! flat rock to force some of the dome down. The Putt'r help distribute the weight without unnatural warpage.

best way to beat in a disc....

throw it. then as it breaks in you get used to the worne-in-ness until you and the disc become one.

Ehhh I got two I love, my new Surges are late fading meathooks they seem to have a bigger dome than I remember brand new. The reason they haven't broken in is I don't like or trust them enough to throw them for regular play. I just need to get a couple spares QUICK, so they're effective enough to use for blind shots but not irreplaceable. Lost my favorite driver on the second hole last year and spent an hour looking for it rather than celebrating the win for doubles. Found it though.

I have this really neat trick I use to beat in all of my golf discs.

...I play disc golf with them!

I also throw practice drives with them. Hell if I really need to beat a driver in fast...I'll use it more often than I normally would, and I'll use it for the shots it's good for when new that it won't be so great for later on.

I know, I'm a freaking genius.

\/\/

Two ways.

For Drivers: tune it. Heat the wing either with a hairdryer or by filling the dome with a small amount of water and popping the disc in the microwave. Once the plastic is hot, work your way around the rim, working the wing down. The more downward pointing the rim, the less stable. The opposite also applies. Seriously, it works. I made a Star MEATHOOK TeeRex into a turnover driver in 15 minutes using this method. Note that it works better on some plastics than with others.
Also note: this is quite possibly illegal under PDGA rules. You're allowed to bend a disc, but the addition of heat may push that line a bit. So do it at your own risk.

For Mids/Putters/etc: throw it at stuff. I don't like the idea of throwing a hard piece of plastic at a tree over and over. The trees in TN don't like that. So I'll sometimes take a beachtowel, double it over, plop it on my concrete driveway, and bash the disc into it until I'm satisfied. I've beat a couple Rocs in this way and they're money. Again, note that some plastics are better for this than others. I did that with a Pro-D Buzzz (wanted to see if it would float when it turned over) and it's useless now. :)

How to beat-in a disc:

Step 1: Pick up 12 pack from the store.

Step 2: Only bring the disc that you want to beat in quicker to play the course.

Step 3: Play until the sun goes down or until the beer is gone.

Step 4: Repeat steps 1-3 until the disc gets "beat-in" to your liking.

I like dem apples!

Want to beat in a disc, find a noob and let them use it.

How to beat-in a disc:

Step 1: Pick up 12 pack from the store.

Step 2: Only bring the disc that you want to beat in quicker to play the course.

Step 3: Play until the sun goes down or until the beer is gone.

Step 4: Repeat steps 1-3 until the disc gets "beat-in" to your liking.

Totally agreed. Not only are you breaking the disc in, you're getting to learn the disc inside out. Maybe you'll find a few diff. stages of wear you like, and break a few in to diff. degrees after you go through a discs life. :D

Second- beats the crud out of the tree/cement wall method. Those can have drastic impacts on the disc that may make them unusable, and are no wear near as nice as a slowly worn disc through normal play.

Third- if no other method comes up you like, try aging the disc in an old bourbon barrel with an imperial stout. Works wonders.

Latest posts