• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

tips on best way to beat in a disc

for the most even beat use only the teebird at your local wooded course. everything else just seems like mutilation.

I could swear I heard throwing overhands help...not sure how though. I think I heard about rollers helping too. Personally though I'd say find a course/hole with lots of trees and possibly some rocks and hope you hit them. Or even better yet give it to my buddy, his first 5 throws with his dx teebird hit trees so he sharpied a R between the T and E on the disc.

The overhand shots makes sense as well as spike hyzers or knife shots. any shot that has a hi percentage of the disc landing on its edge and bouncing would beat in the edge.

as soon as all this new snow goes away I'll hit the course with just the teebird and work on it.

for the most even beat use only the teebird at your local wooded course. everything else just seems like mutilation.

Pretty much what I was going to say. Just play heavily wooded courses with just the 1 disc. I practice putting sometimes with my DX T-birds just to beat them in a little without taking chunks out of them.

How to beat-in a disc:

Step 1: Pick up 12 pack from the store.

Step 2: Only bring the disc that you want to beat in quicker to play the course.

Step 3: Play until the sun goes down or until the beer is gone.

Step 4: Repeat steps 1-3 until the disc gets "beat-in" to your liking.

only one thing wrong. a 24 pack is for more effective.

what disc have you been using to throw in your "teebird" situations? maybe you just need to play with it more. if you were using a more understable disc than the teebird you may be throwing with too much hyzer.

Take just the new teebird and a putter to a wooded course, and throw the teebird for every shot. If you have an overhand shot, use that as much as possible. It'll speed up the break in process without doing weird things to the disc, which can happen when you just throw at a concrete wall.

overhand shots and rollers. Any shot that makes the disc hit brutally with solid obects, aka the ground. With rollers it comes into contact with the ground longer, hitting bumps and twigs over a longer period of time rather than just BAM done. Thumbers are just hell on a disc. Almost tacos if it hits the ground hard enough.

what disc have you been using to throw in your "teebird" situations? maybe you just need to play with it more. if you were using a more understable disc than the teebird you may be throwing with too much hyzer.

Since I lost the teebird I've been trying to use a combination of a 172 Z stalker and a 171 fairly beat in Star Firebird. The problem is the stalker has the nice low HSS that the teebird had when it flips slightly upon release but the stalker doesn't have anywhere near the LSS the teebird had. The firebird has the LSS of the teebird but too much HSS. It starts to flip but stops and rides out its flight at a level line and then fades hard at the end.

Buy a less stable disc and get used to it. Or buy it in DX. Other than that I think just playing with it a lot is the best way. Go play a few rounds and throw it as a second shot off of every tee. If nothing else, you'll learn it well.

I could swear I heard throwing overhands help...not sure how though. I think I heard about rollers helping too. Personally though I'd say find a course/hole with lots of trees and possibly some rocks and hope you hit them. Or even better yet give it to my buddy, his first 5 throws with his dx teebird hit trees so he sharpied a R between the T and E on the disc.

Thanks, that gave me a hearty chuckle.

I've been throwing mine for the dog for the last 6 months and that's finally broken it in. Have you considered the TL? Or the thread on disc tuning... grab the disc from the top and push the rim downwards with your thumbs, go all the way around. Works well for champion plastic, dunno about Star.

I just throw it a lot...
I'll also use them for rollers if they need to be broken in a ton.

I played a round with a guy, every time we would take a short break he would start throwing his disc into a random tree about 20 times in a row. I asked him what he was doing and he said " improving my accuracy and beating in my disc". It was something different I had never seen anyone doing before.

I've been throwing mine for the dog for the last 6 months and that's finally broken it in. Have you considered the TL? Or the thread on disc tuning... grab the disc from the top and push the rim downwards with your thumbs, go all the way around. Works well for champion plastic, dunno about Star.

I have a Star TL but its pretty beat in as well. It flips too much.

Overhand rollers seem nice and even but I prefer to just throw the disc and break it in naturally, but if I am in a hurry, or its doesnt seem like it is beat in enough, thumbers and tommies help a lot. And if that doesnt work, skip it across pavement.

Someone told me too put my disc in a pillow case and throw it in the dryer for 15 mins.. no heat.

Someone told me too put my disc in a pillow case and throw it in the dryer for 15 mins.. no heat.

...and then go out to dinner or something for a while cause that would be loud and anoying as hell.:gross::D

Hmmm that dryer method might have some merit, I like a dishwasher to take slippery coatings off the discs, use the top rack only.