• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] To catch a Predator

b-mart

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
So I've seen these mentioned here and there on this site, but I can't find a thread devoted to them. The search function brings back a bunch of marketplace hits and threads about throwing sidearm that I don't really feel like sifting through. I want to know people's thoughts on the Discraft Predator. I've heard it compared to a longer Firebird, but it hasn't gotten anywhere near the love that the Firebird has. I picked up a Z Pred today and plan to mostly throw it in my Firebird's slot if it works out, but want to hear some opinions...

Also, what's with the texture inside the rim? It seems like a great idea (especially for FH throwers), but if it's such a great idea, why is this the first time I've seen it?

And before you tell me to shut up and go see for myself, I am going to do that tonight. I just can't yet because my field is closed for use for another hour and a half (long story).

The texture your referring to is actual patent numbers that were "X"d out on many MANY preds due to some patents expiring or something along those lines....

Apparently it was easier to go through and X them out, than to just remold them all over again :)

In my experience I found the Firebird to be a one trick pony when throwing it backhand/forehand. It just hooks like its supposed to but, it has more uses as a utility disc than the pred. On the other hand the Pred isn't as good of a utility disc but excells over the bird as a line shaping fairway driver. Much more useful in its different plastics and might be the best ratio of overstable/wind fighter yet still a very useful line shaping driver. Depends what hole your looking to fill in your bag. You can't go wrong with either.

Somebody gotta do it...
chrishansonex8.jpg

I love my Preds. I wish I had an older Z pred though, because I absolutely despise new Z plastic. BUT alas, I cannot have it all.

But I carry a Z and a FLX pred at all times. My FLX pred (fondly referred to as Brenda) I have had since the FLX pred's release. It's totally and utterly thrashed, and still flies more OS than the new Z did out of the box. I use it exclusively for overhand stuff, because it crashes to the ground, flexes, and sticks without dirty roll-aways. AND this FLX plastic is utterly indestructable. It hasn't lost a tick of stability despite how beat to hell it looks, and it gives me the same throw every time.

The Z is just the overstable pig I want for my BH/FH stuff. It's longer than a Firebird with, in my opinion, a more gradual, forward penetrating fade. I've still never seen one of my Preds flip in the wind when thrown flat or hyzer, and it executes any kind of overstable throw your looking for very well.

I think the Pred is a great disc. It's the one mold (other than challengers) that has been with me since establishing my first bag, and I don't foresee myself changing molds in the future.

Predators rule! I love them in z esp and x. Z preds are awesome for headwind and meathook duties. Esp and x are good for headwind when new and when beat are insanley workable. My favorite is my beat x pred, it is a line shaping mofo, accurate, and longer than a z or esp. Since they are oop I have been messing around with tsunami's since tsunami's and x preds are both old mold pred's. I'm hoping that when I get a tsunami beat it will fly like my beloved x pred.

Also does anybody think that Warren Buffet is wasting all of his time investing in the stock market when he should be investing in predators?

Ahh. The X Pred was a thing of true beauty. They were so loved I can't believe they discontinued them!

I love the Predator, but it overlapped too much with my OLF's. Maybe someday I will go back to my rotation of ESP Predators. I switched to a Firebird as a overstable utility disc. The Firebird isn't as far and it lacks the versatility of the Predator, but it's stability is far enough away from my OLF I don't feel like I have overlap.

I have a FLX Pred and it has not left my bag since I first threw it. It is one of the few discs that probably won't leave, as my bag is always in some transition. I want a new one, as mine is a bit beat up and flies straight with some fade at the end. I saw someone post that a Tsunami was an old mold Pred, how would that compare to a new Flx? I am just curious, I do not know the difference between the old and new mold.

I have a FLX Pred and it has not left my bag since I first threw it. It is one of the few discs that probably won't leave, as my bag is always in some transition. I want a new one, as mine is a bit beat up and flies straight with some fade at the end. I saw someone post that a Tsunami was an old mold Pred, how would that compare to a new Flx? I am just curious, I do not know the difference between the old and new mold.

The Tsunami is a good bit straighter than an FLX Pred. They go nice and straight with a softer fade. New they fly like a well worn Z. I happen to have a few in my newest trade thread along with some nice FLX as well! (shameless plug) :D

I've found that discs serve me better when I take them out of the bag occasionally :D. I guess if you throw your entire bag the discs in it might get some air time, but other than that, what good are they doing you in your bag? (you had to catch me after knocking back a few, didn't you?)

Definitely digging this Z Pred. I actually didn't bring it out for field work because today was "putter driving day". Paid off too. Backhanded the Ion, Pure, and Anode ~50' farther than I normally throw mids, so I'm heading in the right direction. Still stoked about throwing the Predator and if all goes well maybe selling off the Firebird to lower my Innova quotient to one (the Teebird).

I asked for that... but yeah, my Predator has pretty much become one of my favorite discs. I am thinking of trying a Z and letting my Flx beat in more.

The Pred is probably my favorite disc. I carry 2, a max weight Z and a 165 ESP. I use the Z for forehand and hyzerbombs, the ESP sits in the spot that a teebird would for most people.

My SP Tsunami is beefier than the predators that I have in my bag. I have an early run Predator that is a little less overstable than the current runs.

I have been messing with Preds lately over my Firebirds... have old z, pearly new z and some elite-x.. really really like the elite-x.. i have a noodle arm but they work very well for my overstable/meathook slot and longer and more workable for me then the firebird.. wish they werent oop but i have a beat and a freshie that i have been toying with :)

My go-to disc for basically any shot. After beat up, they're super easy to power down, yet still handle all the power I can muster. I keep two in the bag, both domey yellow Z, and have...well...too many backups for both slots. Beat to hell Z Pred for straight/anny/flex/sweeping hyzer/FH/mild winds; newish Z Pred for overstable duties.

I used to carry a flat red/pink for crazy overstable shots, but found the newish yellow Z will do basically all the same things if thrown on the right angle.

Love Preds...one of only two molds that have remained a staple in my bag over the last three years. I only have one in the bag, a 174g Z Pred that I use for Spike Hyzers, Dogleg shots, and any time I need to throw as hard as possible and ensure it won't turn over.

But the one thing I love about my Pred that no Firebird, xXx, Tsunami or any other disc can match is the skip on the end of the shot. I know these other discs will skip, but something about the Pred makes it skip farther. I can't tell you how many near aces I've had off the skip. (One day, it WILL happen)

Latest posts