• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] To catch a Predator

That curl at the rim is what turned me off them. Same problem as Stable^^^. It would dig into the index. Have you tried the Machete? Only a very shallow curl (like the Crush). Much less pronounced and the rim depth is less, too. Should be a comfortable forehand disc.

I have not. There's nothing wrong with Firebirds, and I'm not looking to quit throwing them. I've just been on a "try discs I've always heard about" kick lately. The Felon was really nice in the "better Firebird" role, but it lost a lot of stability really quickly. It also flipped into that same headwind on the same hole I threw the Predator. Didn't have a Firebird on me at the time, but they've always fought wind well for me. Probably just stick with FB's and PD2's.

After throwing Firebirds as my primary forehand driver for so long, I decided to cash in an Amazon gift card and picked up a Big Z Predator to satisfy curiousity. I wasn't expecting the inner "lip" on the rim to be so pronounced. This disc isn't the most comfortable to grip on forehand throws. It also flipped into a moderate wind on my first throw- which I'm certain a FB would have held up in. That's ok, I still had hopes for overstable backhand shots with the Pred being slightly less stable and with supposedly more glide than a FB. Unfortunately, it's still too much beef for my backhand and isn't that comfortable for that grip, either. Maybe if I can finally get to that next level of backhand power I've been trying to get to for so long, the Pred might be worth a revisit. Until then, it's gonna have a home in the closet.

I've only thrown Z. I think the concept that Predators and Firebirds are similar discs is erroneous, though widespread. Both are similarly overstable (unless you're talking super flat Firebirds), so I'm kind of surprised about turning into a moderate headwind. To me, that probably means either 1) Big Z isn't as overstable as Z, or 2) the awkward grip might have been responsible for an awkward release or some OAT? At any rate, if you're looking for a Discraft "Firebird replacement," I'd agree that the Machete is worth a try, even though I've only felt them in stores and haven't thrown one yet.

I agree with you and with pretty much everyone else that Firebirds feel way better for forehands. The decreased glide tends to make them very consistent as well. The thing about Predators is that they have much better glide. Throwing good backhand shots makes me feel like I'm channeling my inner Nate Doss, but you're right that it requires more arm speed than most of us mere mortals have. The glide also makes Preds fly quite different for overhands. I don't know if you're a tomahawk or thumber guy, but my only ace is a tomahawk with a Predator. I think it's because of the glide that it tends to come down at a little more of an angle, so that there's a better chance of hitting chains instead of dropping straight onto the basket. Anyways, since you've got the disc, you might as well give it a try.

After all that, I might as well admit that the Predator only rarely makes it into the bag (e.g. I recently brought it along as part of a 5 disc travel bag), while my Firebird will be in there for the foreseeable future, for everything from skip shots to headwinds to overhands.

I've only thrown Z. I think the concept that Predators and Firebirds are similar discs is erroneous, though widespread. Both are similarly overstable (unless you're talking super flat Firebirds), so I'm kind of surprised about turning into a moderate headwind. To me, that probably means either 1) Big Z isn't as overstable as Z, or 2) the awkward grip might have been responsible for an awkward release or some OAT? At any rate, if you're looking for a Discraft "Firebird replacement," I'd agree that the Machete is worth a try, even though I've only felt them in stores and haven't thrown one yet.

I agree with you and with pretty much everyone else that Firebirds feel way better for forehands. The decreased glide tends to make them very consistent as well. The thing about Predators is that they have much better glide. Throwing good backhand shots makes me feel like I'm channeling my inner Nate Doss, but you're right that it requires more arm speed than most of us mere mortals have. The glide also makes Preds fly quite different for overhands. I don't know if you're a tomahawk or thumber guy, but my only ace is a tomahawk with a Predator. I think it's because of the glide that it tends to come down at a little more of an angle, so that there's a better chance of hitting chains instead of dropping straight onto the basket. Anyways, since you've got the disc, you might as well give it a try.

After all that, I might as well admit that the Predator only rarely makes it into the bag (e.g. I recently brought it along as part of a 5 disc travel bag), while my Firebird will be in there for the foreseeable future, for everything from skip shots to headwinds to overhands.

Ha! My only ace was on a thumber. With a Gator. This Pred does fit a thumber grip pretty well, but I moved back to Indiana last year and there's really just no place at my local courses that calls for overhand shots like the courses in Colorado did with their shorter trees.

And you could very well be correct on the funky grip causing it to flip for me.

That grip on a Pred makes FH really hard with them. Not a Firebird replacement to me for that reason.

Firebirds are much more comfortable without a doubt. I'm sure a lighter weight Firebird with dome can get a Predator flight.

I picked up a Predator stamped as a sparkle crystal FLX while I was spectating at the Ledgestone the other day. It's an entirely different animal than the Big Z I had previously tried. At least as beefy as most Firebirds I've thrown. I'm interested to get some more throws with it.

Finally found a shop with some preds, vultures, and avengers (Mando's in Auburn). I see what people mean about the uncomfortably sharp rim - I was considering checking out a combo of pred/vulture as an alternative to thundie/FB, maybe one that would be more comfy for FH overall. I don't think that would be the case.

I mention the avenger because I figured the vulture might be a good successor to it as well. In flight, maybe, but the avenger was a little more comfy. :doh:

I've never had an issue with the rim on a predator. It's all just what you get used to. I never really threw firebirds, went from banshee to predator and basically stuck with it since. Forehand or backhand, never really caused me any discomfort.

The vulture is a decent alternative to beat in predator, if you feel like you'd need something in that slot between your stable fairway and overstable.

Looking for a "not so stable" Predator, would a domey 169g ESP be a good place to start. . or is the new Big-Z less stable?

Should i look for a smal or large Dome? . . have a flat Z that is crazy OS and a Domey 167g Z that are far less OS . . but looking for a "vulture flight" Predator

I´m going to need to beat it in. . just trying to figure out which Predator plastic to start with

Looking for a "not so stable" Predator, would a domey 169g ESP be a good place to start. . or is the new Big-Z less stable?

Should i look for a smal or large Dome? . . have a flat Z that is crazy OS and a Domey 167g Z that are far less OS . . but looking for a "vulture flight" Predator

I´m going to need to beat it in. . just trying to figure out which Predator plastic to start with

The ESP would definitely be the one that will be the most workable and easy to beat in. The anax is also a great disc that would fit into that slot as well. The only reason I bring it up is bc the ESP predator has been discontinued.

The ESP would definitely be the one that will be the most workable and easy to beat in. The anax is also a great disc that would fit into that slot as well. The only reason I bring it up is bc the ESP predator has been discontinued.

I have a ANAX and sometime a VULTURE in the spot between my flat PREDATOR and my UNDERTAKER today.

But it would be easier to just have the Undertakers and Predators cover the fairway duties

Pretty much. Haven't tried an anax yet, but I gotta say between beefy vultures and less stable preds I don't see why you'd need to.

I've got a nice domey and glidey 169g esp pred that is still stable but gets great distance. Then a board flat 175g Z pred that is super beefy and acts like a hellfire almost. Lots of variance between the plastics.

Made an order for a 167g ESP Pred (asked for a domy one) and a 174g Z Undertaker. .

But going to leave a range of ANAX an Vultures in my bag to compare them to. . could be fun to compare a beaten in ESP Pred to a ANAX and a beefy Undertaker vs Vulture

Made an order for a 167g ESP Pred (asked for a domy one) and a 174g Z Undertaker. .

But going to leave a range of ANAX an Vultures in my bag to compare them to. . could be fun to compare a beaten in ESP Pred to a ANAX and a beefy Undertaker vs Vulture

Let us know your findings. My whole bag is pretty much figured out except the fairways you are talking about. Plus in Canada ordering a new Anax is $30. Or I get a predator for $12...

The vulture would fill a spot in that kind of lineup as your 'beat predator'. A first run undertaker will kind of fill the role also, but they aren't quite as long as a beat predator and aren't really easy to get a hold of (I've got a small stack but don't even use them much)

Z plastic takes forever to wear in, and even longer in a mold like a predator where you don't throw it a lot, they are almost indestructible. I feel incredibly lucky that I've been able to hold on to my favorite predator for so long.

If it's one thing that discraft is not lacking it's stable to OS 8-10speed discs...and I like them all, but "can't" bag them all

-Undertaker is "the slower one" , feels nice and flies straight and can cover stable to US
-Vulture has a very controllable straight flight with a reliable fade...and you can get them from the US FR to a OS CryZtal
-Raptor feels like a Vulture but is just a bit more stable
-Anax don't have that nice hand feel that the others have..but it sure flies nice, more fade and glide than the Vultures.
-Predator feels kind of odd in the hand but it works for me..the flat ones are VERY OS

Never tried the Machete

Lots of options to bag...SO many options

I know what the pun title of the thread is doing, but my reaction when I read it while very tired last night was, "don't catch a Predator! That rim is pretty sharp, you would break your fingers!"

Not really a Discraft thrower, but the Raptor feels a lot better than the Pred for me.

If it's one thing that discraft is not lacking it's stable to OS 8-10speed discs...and I like them all, but "can't" bag them all

-Undertaker is "the slower one" , feels nice and flies straight and can cover stable to US
-Vulture has a very controllable straight flight with a reliable fade...and you can get them from the US FR to a OS CryZtal
-Raptor feels like a Vulture but is just a bit more stable
-Anax don't have that nice hand feel that the others have..but it sure flies nice, more fade and glide than the Vultures.
-Predator feels kind of odd in the hand but it works for me..the flat ones are VERY OS

Never tried the Machete

Lots of options to bag...SO many options

Yep but OS speed 6-7 is a lost market for Discraft, most likely due to how few players who joined Discraft do not use a speed 6-7 fairway disc anyhow that is slightly OS to OS. The XL was the 7 speed OS disc in Z until last year, when I had to move to a straighter Stalker to replace my finally worn out flippy Elite Z XL. The Stalker is better for most shots except the high winds I liked the XL for due to how the disc faded and dropped at the end of flight.

Discraft is not lacking in Nutral to US almost midrange like fairway discs.

Last edited:
The Raptor rim isn't cluttered with all that crosshatching and embossing. Significant difference for sure.

Sure, but in the Predator you can choose to have your finger on/off the crosshatching. . .the Raptor dont give you that choice.

i like the crosshatching for FH but have my fingers in a smooth place for BH

But the outside of the rim feel nice on the Raptor ( and Vulture ) . . both the Pred and the Anax has quite a sharp outer rim.