• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] To catch a Predator

I have a couple of old Elite Z plastic Predators.

I'm looking to get a brand new beefy one to go with my worn in Predators.

Should I go with a another Z,ESP or ESP FLX?

The latest addition to my stack of predators is a stiff FLX with a mild dome. Seems to be pure beef compared to newer Z.

The latest addition to my stack of predators is a stiff FLX with a mild dome. Seems to be pure beef compared to newer Z.

Cool man. I like the FLX plastic. I had a Buzzz once in that plastic,but a buddy of mine got it off of me. He was pretty happy lol.

Good to know that the FLX is pretty beefy.

Are they really going to discontinue the Z pred? I was under the assumption the pred and buzz are their most popular molds. I love predators, I just prefer firebirds :D

FLX Preds are the way to go if you want an overstable pred that can really take a beating. They keep their stability really well and I like the grip of FLX over the other plastics. Though I do wish that they would mold this up in Elite X plastic again. Just keep imagining that X plastic would break in nicely and would be another work horse of a fairway driver. I have a FLX Avenger on the way and I'm hoping that might be close to fill the the worked in pred spot since they have the same 1.9cm rim. Either way I have had great luck with FLX plastic for all year around play, not just winter or cold weather. I would definitely give it a try!

FLX Preds are the way to go if you want an overstable pred that can really take a beating. They keep their stability really well and I like the grip of FLX over the other plastics. Though I do wish that they would mold this up in Elite X plastic again. Just keep imagining that X plastic would break in nicely and would be another work horse of a fairway driver. I have a FLX Avenger on the way and I'm hoping that might be close to fill the the worked in pred spot since they have the same 1.9cm rim. Either way I have had great luck with FLX plastic for all year around play, not just winter or cold weather. I would definitely give it a try!

Yes Elite X Preds were great. However the newer ESP Preds break in quick and cycle nicely.

Cool man. I like the FLX plastic. I had a Buzzz once in that plastic,but a buddy of mine got it off of me. He was pretty happy lol.

Good to know that the FLX is pretty beefy.

I have a super flat FLX pred that I have had since they were first released. It's so OS I only use it for thumbers.. I probably throw at least 1 or 2 thumbers each round I have played since I bagged it... and it is STILL more OS than a fresh Z. I don't know what I would do if I ever lost it. It's super thrashed and super gummy... Love it.

I am sad that a thread like this has fallen off the map for so long.

The predator has been my OS/Utility disc since I began playing. Early in 2015 I decided to drop my predators from my bag for two reasons.
1) They overlapped PDs more than other OS utility discs, and I love PDs and was rebuilding my bag around them.
2) Everyone says the XXX or firebird were better thumber discs.

I stocked up on some sweet XXX and was enjoying them. They really did compliment my PDs a little better, more overstable, shorter (I also carry PD2 so its ok to spread that gap more). I though I was better off. Then I did something stupid I SOLD NEARLY ALL MY GOOD OLD PREDS I HAD BEEN STOCKING...

Now by the end of the season, something as missing and I tossed one of my Preds back in my bag. It was like the disc never left. It has been spot on for spike hyzers, predictable skips, wind and most surprisingly THUMBERS. I have been keeping track, and holes I have teed with the Pred end up within the circle significantly more often than other holes. I forgot how big of lines I used to trust these on. The XXX cannot handle the size.

The xxx did thumb longer for me. I made sure of that before I sold my preds. What I did not realize was I couldnt throw XXX thumbers as high. they seemed to drop more during the flip/glide portion of the flight. My Preds retain height longer and come straighter down. The preds stick where they hit more while the xxx bounces forward.

I am sorry predator, I will not cheat on you like that again and I will definitely not ABANDON you like that again. I do not remember who bought my preds, but if you see the one that is still my avatar I may give you a handsome trade for it back even if its too beat to put back in my bag.

Last edited:
Now that I got that off my chest, how are the newer runs of Preds. Last I bought they weren't quite as beefy, but still decent.

How are the Z FLX preds? I usually thing harder is better, but recently I was fondling some other ZFLX molds and were surprised by them not being so floppy like I remember FLX being.

I am sorry predator, I will not cheat on you like that again and I will definitely not ABANDON you like that again. I do not remember who bought my preds, but if you see the one that is still my avatar I may give you a handsome trade for it back even if its too beat to put back in my bag.

Having the Pred back going to mess with your bag at all?

I just started bagging a f2 Z Pred a few weeks ago. Been carrying a Firebird pretty much since I started but I noticed it had stopped coming out of my bag, maybe one throw every round or three. I tried throwing a Flick but I just don't have the arm speed to keep that thing in the air. It's mostly a utility disc for me, occasionally I'll throw it off the tee, but only if the hole requires an early, strong and continual turn. Haven't decided yet if I need both the Predator and an Eagle in the bag, their speed difference might be just big enough to warrant keeping both.

Having the Pred back going to mess with your bag at all?

Aside for a little confusion occasionally whether I want to throw a Stable PD or a Pred I don't believe so.

I have gotten to the point I overthink my bag on paper constantly picking discs I can throw that compliment each other well and it causes me to build the "Perfect Bag" when really I should pay more attention to the discs I throw well, and make my bag work. I reach for my straighter PD the most still, but even the most OS PD does not hit my line on a spike hyzer like a Z Predator.

Or were you speaking of the old beat one? I don't know, it would be more sentimental than anything. The thing flys quite like a CD2 at this point.

I really don't know what I would do if I had it back, its kind of like your first car, surely you have moved on but there will never be another.

The most reliable disc in my bag, excellent fairway driver. I can trust it to always be extra stable, to always fly far, and to always fly shorter than my overstable nuke. I like mine even more after they wear in. They become as a nice overstable avenger, and after years a beat up staight flying avenger. I prefer the regular ones, I don't go for the very flat ones anymore as they have an extra high plh and they're meathooks.

Now that I got that off my chest, how are the newer runs of Preds. Last I bought they weren't quite as beefy, but still decent.

Bump to this question, particularly for Z Preds.

I've got a lovely beat Z Pred that reminds me of the ones Nate Doss throws, though without the stamp. That thing is gonna bite the dust one day, and I'm gonna have a big hole in my bag... In other words, I need to start beating up its replacement.

Kinda random, but I feel like I'll always bag and Pred and a Firebird together. The Pred has way more glide and distance for me, while the Firebird has its place for certain forehands/skips/headwinds as well as utility/overhand shots.

I have a Z line predator in my bag. Its a great fairway driver, holds a good line. Its not my usual go to but has some good uses. Mines heavy and pretty good at fighting the wind. Pretty straight and a good and pretty predictable fade.

I used to bag a Z predator in the overstable consistent driver slot in my bag. And it was great! It would glide forward with a hard finish to the left. I trusted it for everything, in any wind, on any hole. Then, one day, it happened...

My pred flipped in a headwind.

I was devastated. The hole was a a 400ft RHBH hyzer shot with a hill running the entire right hand side and woods the entire left hand side. Due to the hill, a RHBH hyzer needed to be thrown relatively high in the air. I did just that, and watched as the pred flipped up from hyzer, turned, and glided (glid? gload?) waaaaayyyyy to the right before fading slightly.

I have since replaced my beloved pred with a lucid felon, and havent looked back. Anything I cant reach with my z wasps or opto XXX, or needs more fade than my champ thunderbird, I bust out my predator killer, the Felon.

tl;dr
predator is great, but Felon is better

I used to bag a Z predator in the overstable consistent driver slot in my bag. And it was great! It would glide forward with a hard finish to the left. I trusted it for everything, in any wind, on any hole. Then, one day, it happened...

My pred flipped in a headwind.

Wat.

I've had the same z predator in my bag for about 6-7 years, and only in the last year or two has it become somewhat understable in the wind.

I'm not big arm, but I've not seen anyone flip a z predator (that's in good shape) except into the most ridiculous of headwinds.

I was given a Z-Predator by a friend (fascinated flyed) several years ago. At the time I threw an FL for my overstable driver. After just a few throws I replaced the FL with the Predator. I liked the way if flew, but the big difference was how it felt in my hand.

I still cycle that Predator in and out of the bag with a couple newer ESP Preds.

I don't throw them often, but when I need that extra over-stability, I can rely on the Pred.

This thread got me thinking that maybe I should throw an actual Firebird sometime. :thmbup:

That original Pred gave me one of my most memorable/exciting/disappointing throws ever. #3 at Gowen Park in Maine calls for a mearbook RHBH throw to a blind basket. The Pres did what if did and hooked right towards the basket. I imagine that it had to skip from the angle I threw it at. It splashed chains hard, but didn't stick. Good times in any case.

Last edited: