• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

To Hang or not to hang

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I have an opportunity to hang a basket on a hole. It would probably be the best hanging basket of all time....:clap:....due to it being elevated 10 feet high and hanging over a mound/bank...essentially you'd be looking up at a hanging basket...ala Bracketts bluff. But it would be far more beautiful IMHO as it would hang from a huge branch and not cable wires connected to a dead leaner tree. It would be accessible by scurrying up the bank and reaching out to the basket.

So whats the problem?
I am a notorious worrier and well.....as much as I try to convince myself this basket hanging next to a bank looks like a damn cool swing and theres been a lot of vandalism on my course already...kids/somebody keeps stealing my tools and tossing my lumber into the creek and burying my rebar or tossing it into the weeds/creek....so I am a realist and my fear is a hanging basket off a mini cliff will become a swing to these people :mad:

There is also the point that once you saw the base off a discatcher you essentially have destroyed the basket forever......if it gets ruined trying to salvage the basket pole hole would be a rig job and is it worth destroying a perfectly good basket for the dream of a great hanging basket that will likely become ruined

Theres a RR track directly behind the basket location and yeah its where all the bored teenagers walk cause u can drink, smoke, do meth, throw rocks and graffitti and generally be up to no good on the tracks.....a hanging basket off a mini cliff 10 feet away seems like an exercise in futility (I grew up in this neighborhood it's just reality)

Basically I am leaning towards planting it firmly in the ground atop the bank....it would still be a cool position but just not as dramatic....I will catch hell from disc golfers over this idea as they all want the hanging epicness

THOUGHTS?

(I like to do these things as many don't really know what goes into designing and putting in a course)

I vote for... Trust your gut. If you think it's gonna get destroyed, you're probably right.

Catch Those Punks

Get a sign that says "smile your on camera". May help with the vandalism.

Better yet, buy a game camera(Less than the cost of a basket to get a good one) and actually catch these punks. I am sure some kids getting vandalism tickets might stop it. If you catch them on camera, take it to the local high schools for identification. Might seem like a lofty plan but hey, than you can be as creative as you want on the course. Those game cameras are pretty easy to hide too and are silent when taking pictures.
I am actually putting together a course on some private land I have and I am definitely going to put one hanging basket out there. Adds another fun element to the game IMO.
Either way, good luck

Better yet, buy a game camera(Less than the cost of a basket to get a good one) and actually catch these punks. I am sure some kids getting vandalism tickets might stop it. If you catch them on camera, take it to the local high schools for identification. Might seem like a lofty plan but hey, than you can be as creative as you want on the course. Those game cameras are pretty easy to hide too and are silent when taking pictures.
I am actually putting together a course on some private land I have and I am definitely going to put one hanging basket out there. Adds another fun element to the game IMO.
Either way, good luck

Most hanging baskets work best on pvt land I am realizing

and why would you have to cut the base off? it's 10' off the ground directly below it right?

and why would you have to cut the base off? it's 10' off the ground directly below it right?

the point of a hanging basket is the strange visual of a basket floating freely in space...a long pole hanging below seems to destroy the cool visual IMHO

I would probably get a glimpse of bigfoot before that deterred kids on bath salts from swinging away ala jackass :(

where is the like button . . . bath salts is an epic criticism of todays youth. . . after watching Intervention last year!

trust your gut. sounds like a recipie for a busted kid or basket.
they are pretty cool though

At a new course in my area, Spearfish Canyon Disc Golf Course, they have a number of hanging baskets, both on the top of severe inclines as well as on flat ground. Heck, one is even decorated with antlers! The course is a public course in a college town, and as of being in for 6+ months already, there has been very little to no vandalism on any of the baskets. To keep the options for alternate positions, they left the pole on one that hangs about 8 feet in the air. While it doesn't look nearly as cool, it does definitely save the basket from being unusable for other locations. (It isn't visible in the picture, but it is hole #16 that has the pole left on the basket)

I would say to possibly try to do the same, and use a combination of both if it is feasible. There isn't really as tough of a putt as one uphill at a basket hanging off the ground, imho. The game camera idea mentioned is a really good idea for potentially stopping the people from vandalizing the course, and yes, it will take pictures of anything that moves within its zone. Good luck!

Vandalism aside, I'm not sure why you think the basket would be ruined if you decided to go the hanging route. Rather than cutting the pole that comes with the basket, just get a shorter piece of pipe and mount the basket and chain assem. on that. If it proves to be problematic, cement an anchor and switch back to the original pole.

public course= no imo although i don't particularly care for them anyway. game doesn't need to be further randomized.

You might could do some sort of cable from the bottom of the basket to an anchor. If sufficiently tight it would make it unusable as a swing. I might kill the visual a bit, not as badly as a pole. I'm also still unsure of what type of vandalism could still be done to it.