• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Top Courses of 2014

It is one of my favorites and though I have only played the game for a year, I have played a few courses and think it is the best of those. I think the beef some people have is the lack of a water feature. I have also heard that people complain about the lack of elevation changes. New Quarter does some remarkable things for a park in the heart of the Coastal Plain. And of course it is a public park with a pro shop. :) I am interested to see how Waller Mill pans out, the 9 holes I played a couple weeks ago were nice enough that I paid for the year.

I'm sure your local course is one of the best. I get to travel and use this site to find the best places to play. I can't tell you how frustrating to drive 2 hours in the wrong direction to play a 4.7 rated course and find out its maybe a 3 or worse. When we allow local players to review (impossible to stop) you are going to get a lot of loyalty in their judgement of its quality.

It is one of my favorites and though I have only played the game for a year, I have played a few courses and think it is the best of those. I think the beef some people have is the lack of a water feature. I have also heard that people complain about the lack of elevation changes. New Quarter does some remarkable things for a park in the heart of the Coastal Plain. And of course it is a public park with a pro shop. :) I am interested to see how Waller Mill pans out, the 9 holes I played a couple weeks ago were nice enough that I paid for the year.

I'm sure your local course is one of the best. I get to travel and use this site to find the best places to play. I can't tell you how frustrating to drive 2 hours in the wrong direction to play a 4.7 rated course and find out its maybe a 3 or worse. When we allow local players to review (impossible to stop) you are going to get a lot of loyalty in their judgement of its quality. Then there are the established courses with very experienced players where the membership try to be critical and honest about the quality. They will take a .5 point for minor issues.

I've commented on another thread that locals seem to be inflate the rating. But if you filter for trusted reviewers NQ is still a 4.24.

Why do you think it's 3- quality? Maybe I need to travel to the three other courses you've played.

I still havent played New Quarter, I was just talking to someone the other day about making a weekend trip up to play Hawk Hollow and NQ. Then if we dont like NQ we'll still have Hawk Hollow to enjoy all over again.

I've commented on another thread that locals seem to be inflate the rating. But if you filter for trusted reviewers NQ is still a 4.24.

Why do you think it's 3- quality? Maybe I need to travel to the three other courses you've played.

I don't think he was talking about New Quarter---just a generic experience of traveling to an homer-inflated, overrated course. That said.....

I'm sure your local course is one of the best. I get to travel and use this site to find the best places to play. I can't tell you how frustrating to drive 2 hours in the wrong direction to play a 4.7 rated course and find out its maybe a 3 or worse. When we allow local players to review (impossible to stop) you are going to get a lot of loyalty in their judgement of its quality. Then there are the established courses with very experienced players where the membership try to be critical and honest about the quality. They will take a .5 point for minor issues.

The homer-inflated course on that scale is pretty rare. And I say that, living a little more than an hour from one of the famous ones (3.75; TR 2.64). Well, except for fairly new courses where some overenthused locals are the first to review, and perhaps some in relatively isolated places.

In almost all cases, we see that once a course is around a little while, especially if it is highly rated, trusted reviewers and travelers with much more experience visit it and bring the ratings in line. Often the TR review average isn't much different than the locals.

I don't think he was talking about New Quarter---just a generic experience of traveling to an homer-inflated, overrated course. That said.....

Looking at your own review of Stoney Hill, I don't think you overrated it at all.
It's not a 5, but it's definitely not lower than a 4.5. The Carolinas are famous for great disc golf, and Stoney Hill is often hailed as excellent by players that have done their diligence and played all the big-name courses in the Carolinas. Your review is also 8 years old, and the course is even better now :)

I'm just horridly biased because I like the people so much, and it's lefty-friendly :D

But I definitely get the homer-rating bump thing. I just put up the info for Veterans Park in Alabaster, AL. The course is completely wide open save for 3 wooded holes(each under 200'), flat, no tee pads of any kind, no benches, no trashcans, and the first review is a 3.5....the course is a 2.5 at BEST, but it happens.

In the end, talk to locals on these threads and get the real scoop. If you're planning a road trip, ask around in the road trip thread. Most people are quite honest in there.

That falls under the new-course exception. Once it gets a dozen or so reviews, I'll bet it'll average out to something close to a consensus value.

Pendleton King, of course, is the exception that proves the rule, just because they drummed up so many locals to join and write 1 review and give it a 5.

Looking at your own review of Stoney Hill, I don't think you overrated it at all.
It's not a 5, but it's definitely not lower than a 4.5. The Carolinas are famous for great disc golf, and Stoney Hill is often hailed as excellent by players that have done their diligence and played all the big-name courses in the Carolinas. Your review is also 8 years old, and the course is even better now :)

I'm just horridly biased because I like the people so much, and it's lefty-friendly :D

You had to read a long way to get to that review. Back in the early days of DGCR, before writing essays came into vogue.

In fairness, I had played over 100 courses in 24 states, so I had some perspective. Quite unlike the guy who's only played the 3 courses in his hometown, and gets all charged up over something new.

Stoney Hill gets a slightly higher rating from trusted reviewers than overall. But, of course, we're so remote we don't have many locals to inflate the ratings.

And thanks for your kind words.

I still havent played New Quarter, I was just talking to someone the other day about making a weekend trip up to play Hawk Hollow and NQ. Then if we dont like NQ we'll still have Hawk Hollow to enjoy all over again.

New Quarter is imo the best public course in VA. (disclaimer- I assisted in the design process)

Waller Mill is going to be very good as well and is about 10 minutes away.

HH should be available for play in 2-3 weeks.

I was also involved as an adviser in the early design work with Mike August at New Quarter. Nicely groomed property with some interesting terrain elements. Glad to hear Biscoe still feels it holds up as the best public course in VA.

It's been a few years since I played NQ last, but it is definitely a destination for me when I'm visiting family in VA. It's got a lot of the elements that make a course great for me: two sets of tees, multiple pin locations, great mix of open and wooded holes, challenging but fair, great signage, nicely maintained, isolated from the city and mostly other park users, etc. There's even a little bit of American history that comes into play. I certainly wouldn't fault it for not having water in play, and I think it has a decent amount of elevation considering the region. I only get to see it once a year at most, but I first played it shortly after it was installed, and it was great to come back each year and see the amount of improvements that had been made. I don't know if anything has been done since last time, but I look forward to when I can play it again regardless.

With the amount of space that park has, I'd always had hopes that there'd be another 9 or 18 holes cut in one day. Glad to hear there's a new course being installed close by though, I'll be sure to check it out next time I'm in the area.

I like NQ, it is built incredibly well, but I like Walnut Creek better due to the elevation and variety.

I haven't been to Walnut Creek yet, as my folks are out in the sticks by the bay. NQ is a decently long drive as it is, Charlottesville is that much farther. Not out of the question though, maybe next time.

HH should be available for play in 2-3 weeks.

that is awesome, ill message you when we come up with an idea of when we're going to get your blessing. still one of my top 5 courses and i cant wait to play it again.

i havent played that many public courses in VA yet but walnut creek is definitely a good one. those last 3 holes are up there with any stretch ive played.

Latest posts