• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tourneys: Why do people TD and Volunteer?

Nobody really makes any money. Most of the TD's I work with do it for the love of the sport, and any extra cash they could take for themselves usually ends up going back to the players as lunch, better shirts or discs in players packages. The best run tournaments are usually the ones with exceptional staff that work side by side with the TD's making things run smooth. One person cannot run any big event, it takes lots of assistance.

Nobody really makes any money. Most of the TD's I work with do it for the love of the sport, and any extra cash they could take for themselves usually ends up going back to the players as lunch, better shirts or discs in players packages.

You are correct that this is the prevailing trend. The truly unfortunate part about a lot of the disc golf community is that if a TD were to dare to take even a portion of that "extra cash" and compensate himself for his time and efforts, he'd be ripped for it. And as the OP exemplifies, that's a fairly foreign attitude outside the realm of disc golf. So it kinda begs the question...do TDs do it for "love of the game" or simply to avoid having to deal with a ****storm of abuse for his "greed".

The best run tournaments are usually the ones with exceptional staff that work side by side with the TD's making things run smooth. One person cannot run any big event, it takes lots of assistance.

This is most definitely a whole lot of bingo.

I'd argue the opposite. We ARE there now. You don't wait until you are "there" to make this change, otherwise the pig is already fattened and you try to change an even more greedy mindset. Establish the principles now, rather than trying to do it tomorrow.

Ah, I meant that we're not at the point where players or clubs have changed their mindset and understand that TDs should get paid.

Whether we're at the point that we can or should try to change their mindsets is a deeper question.

Simple: because it is there.

My first PDGA sanctioned TD experience was the Dragons Lair Warrior League in Korea. It was a six week sanctioned league. Though I was the TD I had tons of help from people (specifically Mr. Butlerton aka Conor Montague who had the unenviable task of handling all the money and trophies) and we did it because the PDGA presence in Korea is minimal at best. It also gave players from the Northern part of the country a chance to play in an organized event (almost all Korean disc golf is South of Seoul)

It was a huge success and a ton of fun. I am looking to TD a tournament next year, with the help of Hucking Aces, for much the same reason. In Colorado Springs, there are very few, if any, tournaments per year. My goal is to run an amateur only tournament at Cumberland Green and a one-day C-Tier at Widefield. Money-wise, I don't know if I can swing both but I will do my level best to make at least one event happen.

Last edited:
Running a league is thankless soul sucking work. Rather play casual rounds or just hike instead. To hell with entitled disc golfers.

Clubs, and DG'ers in general, need to make the mental change that TD's and volunteers deserve to get paid for their time.

Most people have zero clue how much effort it takes to run a well-oiled tournament, especially when no one helps and volunteers for the whole event.

Oh wait, this already happens, it's called anything that DD runs....

So, case in point, if you go to a DD event, you support paying the TD's. Thus, in turn, you need to pay TD's who aren't DD.

Never a truer word spoken. I was the same way until I started helping running local events. The two main guys that TD around here do MONTHS of work for a large tourney. They get paid absolutely zero & usually end up spending their own money at times. Definitely a thankless job

I'm never a solo TD, but I help out a ton in all of our local events. I mostly do it because someone has to, and no other competent people ever step up. There's 2-4 of us who do all the leg-work on all of our local events. I'd be more than happy to give up some of my responsibilities, but (to be utterly conceited) I don't think anyone would do a better job.

However, I will throw out that if you're losing money running a tournament, you're doing it wrong. There's no reason to spend your own money and not get reimbursed for it. If you're offering merchandise payout for Ams, and you purchased the merchandise at wholesale costs, that should be enough money to donate some of it back to the tournament and still turn a profit. Our club turns a profit on tournaments and uses that money for course improvements and other club functions.

Last edited:
I started running smaller type of events in April 2013. Ace races, birdie bashes and 2 disc challenge events. I did it just to raise money to finish off a course. It was always 50/50 for me. Majority of people would enjoy and have fun. But there would always be a very small portion who will find something to complain. My first event we found a sponsor. To draw people in we offered a 100 ace pot free. It was stated in flyer and at the player meeting. If no aces hit we would have a Ctp for half the cash and the other half would go directly to the course. Well I'll let you guess what a small percentage of people got mad about on that after the event. What's funny is the guy who won didn't care. He was thrilled for the 50 bucks since it was free money. And there are a few who will complain at every event just to complain. I have reduced my events in 2014 and will probably only run 1 event in 2015 as I'm tired of the drama and complaining.

I have reduced my events in 2014 and will probably only run 1 event in 2015 as I'm tired of the drama and complaining.

TDing in a nutshell, right here. TD burn-out is a real thing, and I'm confident in saying that 95% of the cause of burn-out is dealing with things that shouldn't need to be dealt with. You quickly learn that there are always folks for which nothing will satisfy them fully, and they're not hesitant to let you know about every little thing they're not happy about. While I don't think they out number the happy folks in the slightest, they're always far more vocal about it. To the point where they are always the majority of, if not the entirety of the feedback you get on an event, which is what leaves you wondering why you bother at all.

Running a league is thankless soul sucking work. Rather play casual rounds or just hike instead. To hell with entitled disc golfers.

Leagues too!! They are worse because its every week and people whine the most. Ive ran my local league for the last few years, every wednesday, rain or shine, 12 months a year. It works best if you have a good crew to take turns when you get burnt out. I have a great crew.

TDing in a nutshell, right here. TD burn-out is a real thing, and I'm confident in saying that 95% of the cause of burn-out is dealing with things that shouldn't need to be dealt with. You quickly learn that there are always folks for which nothing will satisfy them fully, and they're not hesitant to let you know about every little thing they're not happy about. While I don't think they out number the happy folks in the slightest, they're always far more vocal about it. To the point where they are always the majority of, if not the entirety of the feedback you get on an event, which is what leaves you wondering why you bother at all.

There is ALWAYS one. You will never make everyone happy.

Repeat that to yourself. At EVERY event you run. And you make that one person aware that 71 other people had no issues with the event. This usually shuts them up.

But, if you're up front and honest with the players you WILL run a successful tourney that 99% of the players will love and come back next year.

However, I will throw out that if you're losing money running a tournament, you're doing it wrong. There's no reason to spend your own money and not get reimbursed for it. If you're offering merchandise payout for Ams, and you purchased the merchandise at wholesale costs, that should be enough money to donate some of it back to the tournament and still turn a profit. Our club turns a profit on tournaments and uses that money for course improvements and other club functions.

Not all circumstances are created equal. Some places have to pay big dollars just to rent the course from the parks department. Some events have expenses that others don't.

True. True. True.

At one of my events, one of the complainers started going on and on about how the color of the flyers used to promote the event made people not play. He thought he was really slamming me (behind my back of course), but the person who volunteered to do those flyers was right beside him while he was ranting. She quickly let him know what a d!ck he was.

True. True. True.

At one of my events, one of the complainers started going on and on about how the color of the flyers used to promote the event made people not play. He thought he was really slamming me (behind my back of course), but the person who volunteered to do those flyers was right beside him while he was ranting. She quickly let him know what a d!ck he was.
:clap:

Bonus entertainment to watch this guy eat his foot !!

There is ALWAYS one. You will never make everyone happy.

Repeat that to yourself. At EVERY event you run. And you make that one person aware that 71 other people had no issues with the event. This usually shuts them up.

But, if you're up front and honest with the players you WILL run a successful tourney that 99% of the players will love and come back next year.

Absolutely. Personally, I'm well past the point of worrying about the whiners and I feel like I've got a pretty good filter for what is good constructive criticism (about 2% of "complaints") and what is bitching for the sake of bitching (the rest). If I didn't, I'd have stopped running tournaments years ago.

My attitude is run events that I would enjoy playing, and if people want to play, they'll play. And those that don't, won't. I'm running these tournaments literally in my backyard, so I'm gonna be here whether anyone shows up or not. But the people that show up are going to have a good time, and that's all that matters.

Everything I put into our club and events I run is eventually rewarded by: course improvements and/or new courses.

In other words, if i'm good i get new toys!

:clap:

Can you post this on my club's facebook group please, so i don't look like an ass?

Davidsauls. You and your brothers run a great tourny. Would hope you guys make a little something for your time and all. Otherwise I need to start buying more Stoney hill rinos

Last edited: