• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Trouble throwing past 450

I forgot to answer a couple questions that were asked. I am a right hand-back hand player. I have been throwing on a flat wide open field and have measured my throws with measuring wheels and a tape measure (the long ones and measured the distance in increments) I also have a friend who measured my drives separately in case I made any mistakes.

Hey bud, I am throwing champ destroyers and champ boss. The weights range from 171-175 but I prefer 171 - 173. I was actually testing out having my arm pulled back farther than normal and sometimes it helped ,but the majority of the time it was not as controlled as I like. I have good control of my drives when throwing straight towards a basket up to 400ft and between 400-450 It's more of an "S" curve which requires a wider amount of room and is little less accurate. I have gotten better at judging where my disc will land when I'm going for the big distance. Most throws are within 30-40 ft of the basket when I throw distance and use more of the "S" curve. When throwing a straight shot to a basket thats 400ft or less I am very comfortable in getting the disc within 30ft. -This is in response to "Searchingfordistance"

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have asked this before, but are you using a big, distance line to get to 450'? How long are your golf shots with fairway drivers, mids and putters?

Sorry, I should have asked this before, but are you using a big, distance line to get to 450'? How long are your golf shots with fairway drivers, mids and putters?[/QUOT

I feel comfortable throwing putters up to 250-275 ft, mid-range I try to not throw anything longer than 320-330, Fairway drivers I use up to around 375-400, and for anything further I like destroyers and boss. These are just examples for open space. As you know depending on elevation, elements, hole layout, and disc placement you will have to adjust what disc to use. Example: I wouldn't throw a driver on a hole that's 360 going down a hill. I would use a mid range because the distance is not a true 360 in the air. I throw mainly straight at a basket up to 400ft with a little "S" curve and if Im going for longer then I use more of an "S" curve. Hope this helps.

I hate you. This is like a Victoria Secret model askling if her ass looks fat. Your email should have said, "Hi my name is _ _ _ _ _ ,, and I only throw 225'. Can you plase help me learn to throw farther?"

You need no help. Go develop some bad habits, and then ask for help.

Sorry, I should have asked this before, but are you using a big, distance line to get to 450'? How long are your golf shots with fairway drivers, mids and putters?

I feel comfortable throwing putters up to 250-275 ft, mid-range I try to not throw anything longer than 320-330, Fairway drivers I use up to around 375-400, and for anything further I like destroyers and boss. These are just examples for open space. As you know depending on elevation, elements, hole layout, and disc placement you will have to adjust what disc to use. Example: I wouldn't throw a driver on a hole that's 360 going down a hill. I would use a mid range because the distance is not a true 360 in the air. I throw mainly straight at a basket up to 400ft with a little "S" curve and if Im going for longer then I use more of an "S" curve. Hope this helps.
Yep, it helps.

Are you able to throw putters, mids and fairway drivers farther and choose not to or are those really the top end of what you're comfortable with for golf shots?

It's hard to say for sure, but it sounds like there's some things you can do to increase your "snap" to get you an additional 20'+. The Dan Beato and Bradley Walker videos can help with that stuff but it can be really hard to pin down. If you haven't yet, I'd check out DGR too.

Hey bud, I am throwing champ destroyers and champ boss. The weights range from 171-175 but I prefer 171 - 173. I was actually testing out having my arm pulled back farther than normal and sometimes it helped ,but the majority of the time it was not as controlled as I like. I have good control of my drives when throwing straight towards a basket up to 400ft and between 400-450 It's more of an "S" curve which requires a wider amount of room and is little less accurate. I have gotten better at judging where my disc will land when I'm going for the big distance. Most throws are within 30-40 ft of the basket when I throw distance and use more of the "S" curve. When throwing a straight shot to a basket thats 400ft or less I am very comfortable in getting the disc within 30ft. -This is in response to "Searchingfordistance"

The 400ft mark is for me also just the point where I feel a strong control over the disc and when I want to throw past that mark I most likely throw drivers with more speed such as Star Destroyer 171g,Champion boss 175g(flippy)/173g(stable) and some other ones I am trying out.If a disc has more speed then you may need to be able to put more body into the throw so it will fly as it should. (rotate the body so the back points to the direction where you are going to throw and come through with the driver as fast and powerful as you can AND remember to not only use you arm when you are throwing,,,The shoulders/upper body also have a great important job in the mechanics of the pull through.

AND one more thing...I am more into Discraft and Latitude 64 coz the Surge was my first disc to travel over 400ft and the 64 discs work like CLOCKS, they are so fun to throw with and they are very reliable in my opinion.

A important key for me to gain some more D is probably the one when you watch the top pros and try to mimic something from their form that would improve your own form.

I usually watch tournaments,Championships,Distance showcases and stuff like that on YOUTUBE to get an idea on how the throw really works.

Yep, it helps.

Are you able to throw putters, mids and fairway drivers farther and choose not to or are those really the top end of what you're comfortable with for golf shots?

It's hard to say for sure, but it sounds like there's some things you can do to increase your "snap" to get you an additional 20'+. The Dan Beato and Bradley Walker videos can help with that stuff but it can be really hard to pin down. If you haven't yet, I'd check out DGR too.

Yes, I can throw putter's, mid's, and fairway's farther. I just used those measurements as the distances that I try to stay around when playing. I will review the Dan Beato again, the DGA articles, and the snap video on youtube. I have seen all of them but I do like to review in case I miss anything.

The 400ft mark is for me also just the point where I feel a strong control over the disc and when I want to throw past that mark I most likely throw drivers with more speed such as Star Destroyer 171g,Champion boss 175g(flippy)/173g(stable) and some other ones I am trying out.If a disc has more speed then you may need to be able to put more body into the throw so it will fly as it should. (rotate the body so the back points to the direction where you are going to throw and come through with the driver as fast and powerful as you can AND remember to not only use you arm when you are throwing,,,The shoulders/upper body also have a great important job in the mechanics of the pull through.

AND one more thing...I am more into Discraft and Latitude 64 coz the Surge was my first disc to travel over 400ft and the 64 discs work like CLOCKS, they are so fun to throw with and they are very reliable in my opinion.

I do have my back towards the basket when throwing far and then following through. I am starting to think I may not be using my lower body as much. The more I watch video of my self throwing I notice how my lower body doesn't do much. Im gonna try to add more hip and legs into the drive as well as trying to improve my snap. I started using alot more snap when I watched a video on youtube about it and I have noticed an increase in distance and the ease of the disc leaving my hand. I also throw discraft and some of my best throws have been with a champ force. I branch out a lot to other discs to see if I like them. For the most part I do throw Innova but I can just as easily put Discraft products up against any Innova discs.

Taylor, can you post a vid? At 450 you are most likely doing just about everything right. I've heard many times that 350 is a hard plateau to surpass and I'm guessing 450 is the same but I've not had the pleasure except off a mountainside.

I am going to make a newer video of me just driving in the next few days so I can better see what Im doing. I can post the new video on youtube if you would like to check it out. I will start a new thread and tell people to look at me driving and see what they can offer on advice.

Video! You can get a good look at a bulls arse if you stick your head in a T-bone.