• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tumbling Off the Tee Pad

threevok

Double Eagle Member
Last week, one of the guys* in our casual group tumbled off the tee pad. Apparently his run up timing got out of sync so he kept running until he ran out of runway and fell off the tee pad. The disc never left his hand, but one of the guys in the group insisted the tumbler take a one stroke penalty. Is this correct?

*I bet it was funny as heck, but I couldn't see the whole thing from my position. :eek:

He never threw the disc so he is good. Plus it's just cruel to penalize a guy that almost gets hurt.

↓ I caught my mistake.

Last edited:
How the hell could you call that on a casual round! It should go like this.... Oh man are you ok???! You are, good now get up there and actually throw the disc this time...

Probably someone that played ball golf. If you address the ball, you get a stroke; I believe that's regardless of whether or not you take a swing.

The definition of a throw in the rules:

Throw
The propulsion of a disc by a player that results in a new lie.

That guy is not correct. As Dan Ensor said, probably a someones ball golf experience having to much of an influence. Same with hitting someones equipment - the number of people that thinks its a penalty stroke is staggering.

A classic "show me the rule in the book" moment.

The closest call I can think of would be a potential 30-second call.

Even if he'd dropped the disc in the course of his tumble, there'd be no call.

(I once saw someone do this in a tournament on Stoney Hill #17A, which is a water carry, and he almost rolled into the pond. Not his disc. Him.)

I would give the guys who called for the penalty stroke a courtesy violation for calling fake rules

Even if the disc had fallen out of his hand due to his stumble it still wouldn't have been a throw or a penalty. This is addressed in the rule Q & A section, article 12.

Although I'm inclined to agree that in the scenario under discussion it's not a throw or a penalty because the disc never left the player's hand, and therefore was not propelled, I'm not sure that it wouldn't have been a throw if the disc had left his hand since Q&A 12 specifically addresses a disc that slips out during the backswing:

QA 12: Is a Drop a Throw?

Q:
My throwing hand bumped a tree branch during my backswing, knocking the disc to the ground, and the disc rolled forward of my lie. Was that a throw?

A:
No. The throw begins when movement of the disc in the intended direction begins. A disc dropped or knocked out before or during a backswing does not count as a throw. Applicable Rules: 800.02 Definitions ("Throw"). [bold added]

Based on the bolded wording, the ruling only applies to a disc dropped/knocked out prior the the completion of the backswing, so, presumably, a disc falling out after the thrower completes his backswing would constitute a throw. In principle, it would be no different than if a player's plant foot were to slip out from under him as he was pulling his arm through and he was unable to hang onto his disc as he fell.

A classic "show me the rule in the book" moment.

The closest call I can think of would be a potential 30-second call.

Even if he'd dropped the disc in the course of his tumble, there'd be no call.

(I once saw someone do this in a tournament on Stoney Hill #17A, which is a water carry, and he almost rolled into the pond. Not his disc. Him.)

I think falling down might count as a distraction, I'd probably let someone restart the 30 second clock. :p

Probably someone that played ball golf. If you address the ball, you get a stroke; I believe that's regardless of whether or not you take a swing.

Nope. A stroke is the forward motion of the club WITH the intent to strike the golf ball. Whiffs count, bumping the ball off the tee or with a practice swing (on the tee) don't. Neither do checked swings that don't hit the ball.

Based on the bolded wording, the ruling only applies to a disc dropped/knocked out prior the the completion of the backswing, so, presumably, a disc falling out after the thrower completes his backswing would constitute a throw. In principle, it would be no different than if a player's plant foot were to slip out from under him as he was pulling his arm through and he was unable to hang onto his disc as he fell.

Good point....I guess it would depend on where his arm motion was when he started the tumble.

Didn't the original poster state that this was a CASUAL game? Jeez the dude calling for a penalty stroke needs to cut the guy some slack. He could have broken his ankle or something. Besides the embarrassment of being a klutz should be penalty enough. I hope the guy that stumbled off the Tee box had a stellar game the rest of the round and smoked Mr. Penalty Stroke.

Don't you get one Mulligan per round in DG?

Last edited:

I'd like to see the rule behind that, what about Kevin Na addressing and then backing off of his lie 3+ times every shot

Last week, one of the guys* in our casual group tumbled off the tee pad. Apparently his run up timing got out of sync so he kept running until he ran out of runway and fell off the tee pad. The disc never left his hand, but one of the guys in the group insisted the tumbler take a one stroke penalty. Is this correct?

*I bet it was funny as heck, but I couldn't see the whole thing from my position. :eek:

I highly recommend you stop associating with this guy.