• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ulibarri Displays True Sportsmanship

^^^^would inspire more galleries and t.v. coverage. Especially if facial hits were encouraged and guys continued through the blood.

You have to have a mechanism that resolves the ties in a reasonable time due to potential darkness. I don't see any problem in declaring co-winners at a certain point in the playoff process if it remains tied. Another interesting way would be to use their finish position in the previous year's event, sort of like bag tags. The player who finished lower has to win the playoff or the other player wins if there's no winner after the playoff process.

I like the idea of a 4-hole playoff and if still tied they are both declared winners.....of course this opens up the possibility of them "colluding" to tie for first

Ulibarri has probably made a friend for life. Try it sometime; instead of beating down the next guy every chance you get.

:popcorn:

If it's darkness you fear, then just go sudden death after the first 4 hole playoff. By that time you've had your larger course sample size. Or just have 2 hole playoffs.

If I doinked a 10 foot put that cost me a tournament, I sure as hell wouldn't be blaming the guy that beat me, nor would it make me all warm and fuzy and make us BFF's that he tossed his winning putt in the dirt on purpose.

It sounds to me like he threw the putt for fun. He wanted to outplay GG rather than win like that and because little was on the line they decided that playing it out would be more fun to them than just letting it end there. I'm not sure what the big deal is. It's clearly not collusion because they didn't get an unfair advantage over anyone else. It's not really sportsmanship because neither has anything to really gain. Neither probably cared as much about winning the tournament at that point (they both already won) as they did beating the other "fair-and-square" in the playoff. What's so wrong about a couple of pros who want to have some fun and put on a bit more of a show for the spectators?

It sounds to me like he threw the putt for fun. He wanted to outplay GG rather than win like that and because little was on the line they decided that playing it out would be more fun to them than just letting it end there. I'm not sure what the big deal is. It's clearly not collusion because they didn't get an unfair advantage over anyone else. It's not really sportsmanship because neither has anything to really gain. Neither probably cared as much about winning the tournament at that point (they both already won) as they did beating the other "fair-and-square" in the playoff. What's so wrong about a couple of pros who want to have some fun and put on a bit more of a show for the spectators?

This is the entire thing in a nutshell.

Well said sir.