• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ulibarri Displays True Sportsmanship

Disc golf ain't horse shoes or grenades, so it's either in or not. I'd be pissed if my buddy gave me a pity stoke. If the bounce out was an act of god then I think Paul pissed off god, by doing that, so then god decided that he would lose.

I prefer a CTP for tie break, quick and easy. I've seen tie breaks go to the last round score, lowest wins.

Boy, a lot of folks bickering over a matter here that didn't involve them, and where no third parties were harmed.

If we only discussed things that involved us, the forums would be largely empty. Maybe people just find it an interesting pair of topics (pot splitting and intentional putt missing), even when abstracted from the VPO and PU and GG acronyms.

I mentioned the pot-splitting to several people who don't know disc golf at all and they were incredulous. "That's not right" and "un-American" were a couple of the comments. I got the feeling that they'd have felt harmed had they watched the "playoff for $500" and later found out it was a playoff for a trophy. If it's really not a big deal, maybe the TD should announce it to the crowd before the playoff.

I also don't get the argument that it's so little money, so why not let them split it. If it's so little money, why not play for the slightly bigger extremely little amount of money? It's so little, it won't matter whether you get the 1st place check or the 2nd place check, right?

Anyways, if you didn't care for his decision to drop the would have been winning putt, fine and dandy, but there's no need for name calling, particularly by folks that will never be at this guy's level of play or understand the life of a traveling DG pro.

There's no need for name calling.

As for the life of a traveling pro, these guys and gals aren't digging ditches for a living. Disc golf is fun, and most pros would be playing even if the prizes were just discs and trophies. I used to go to lots of tournaments, split hotel rooms six ways, slept on floors, ate the cheapest food I could find, won little if anything, etc., and always had a blast. It would have been awesome if I could have done that full time, even with the sleeping on floors!

Disc golf ain't horse shoes or grenades, so it's either in or not. I'd be pissed if my buddy gave me a pity stoke. If the bounce out was an act of god then I think Paul pissed off god, by doing that, so then god decided that he would lose.

I prefer a CTP for tie break, quick and easy. I've seen tie breaks go to the last round score, lowest wins.

Ooops guess not...:\

so what if one of them had the lowet first round. are you saying that doesn't matter as much? CTP or playoff is the only fair way to do it

so what if one of them had the lowet first round. are you saying that doesn't matter as much? CTP or playoff is the only fair way to do it

Im not saying the first round doesn't matter, its just one way I've seen tie breaks done with the more recent hot round getting the tie break. I guess its part of a momentum change. Its more likely that the person with the more recent hot round would stay hot in a playoff. I think CTP on a short hole is the best tie breaker. Playoffs can go on forever and sometimes come down a CTP anyway.

Where did you get the idea that I think a pro's decision is infallible? I am merely saying that my game, as well as 99% of other DG's, is not on a true professional's level, and therefore are not in a position to call their choices on the course stupid or dumb. We don't know all the circumstances so making that judgement would be stupid.
You said that because we're not at pro level, their decisions shouldn't be questioned. So if they're not questioned, how would someone ever know whether they made a bad decision? Not questioning their decisions would mean that we must agree with everything they do. I hate to break it to you but that's not how it works.

If that was the case, what would be the point of having critics or commentary in our world? The point is to express your opinion on a matter. I don't need to be as good of a golfer as Paul to express my opinion about him throwing the game. Do I think Paul was "dumb" for throwing the game? Not really, it's his own choice. Do I think he should be held in high regard or given reverence over it? Absolutely not. Like I said before:

Throwing the game because someone got a bad break =/= class

You know what is classy? Catching a bad break like that, moving on and not being a sore loser.

Last edited:
Wrong. I said you are not in a position to call his decisions stupid or dumb. Read my quote that you referenced above.
Are we arguing over words? I didn't call his decision "stupid or dumb", I think he made a "wrong" decision and I don't think it should be called "classy". Am I in a position to say that?

Here's the thing..

If you're saying we aren't in the position to use the words "dumb" or "stupid" to describe his decision, then fine. But, if you're saying that I'm not in the position to say his decision is "wrong" then you ARE saying that because I'm (or whoever else here) not at pro level, I'm not allowed to question their decision.

Something else to think about is that if we're not in the position to express our negative opinion on a pro's decision, what's the difference between that and expressing a positive opinion of their decision? If novices like us can't say their decision is wrong, then we can't say their decision was right.

But guess what, we're not barred by some imaginary rule like that. I'm (and everyone else on this site) allowed to say whatever I wish about another golfers decision on the course, whether it be negative or positive.

While I applaud Ulibarri for his sportsmanship, I don't know that I would have done the same thing.

1) I wouldn't want to be on the other end of that move. Even if (when) he went on to win that playoff, there's still a bit of an asterisk on that win.

2) If the wind kicks up right as I'm releasing my next drive, and sends the disc 100ft OB, do you then spike it into the woods? I doubt it. Chaining out of a putt is no different in my opinion than a gust of wind or a slippery teebox. Which brings me to my last point:

I don't understand why people are so miffed by putts bouncing out of a basket. Just because the basket doesn't catch every putt that we feel is a good one, doesn't make the equipment faulty.
A disc golf basket is FAR more forgiving than a ball golf cup. You can send a disc screaming at the basket at full speed and it still go in. Not the case with ball golf, you have to get the ball at the perfect direction and speed to get it to sink.
There was never a case in the history of disc golf where a perfect putt chained out. Either it had too much spin, too much speed, missed the target, or a combination of the three.

I know that most disc golfers don't like to hear analogies made to ball golf, but I think that this one is appropriate. Extend the analogy to a basketball hoop if you prefer.

There was never a case in the history of disc golf where a perfect putt chained out. Either it had too much spin, too much speed, missed the target, or a combination of the three.

I agree! :thmbup:

I think that most people forget that you need to do a little more than "hit the pole" to make a putt. Too much spin has caused a ton of spit outs. I just had one on Saturday during our doubles league on an easy 15 footer.

Not enough spin and your putt will probably fall short without touching any metal.

Y'all gotta remember that in this sport, the most fun wins! :D

Anyways, if you didn't care for his decision to drop the would have been winning putt, fine and dandy, but there's no need for name calling, particularly by folks that will never be at this guy's level of play or understand the life of a traveling DG pro.

Precisely.
DSCJNKY

in this case, nice guys finish second.
Thanks for keeping me honest, Skinz.

I think there are things that are more important than winning. This guy certainly did.

Not skinner. The guy that blew his putt on purpose.

...it didn't chain out or spit out. It bounced out, off the bottom of the basket.

spit out...chain out...bounce out....disc landing on top of the basket...disc landing under the basket......any way it happens, you need another throw/drop in/stroke/etc to finish the hole. Certainly sucks that much more when it happens in a tournament playoff.

At the end of the day, still part of the game, no?

seems like a potato=tomato case to me ;)

put me on the side of "tough shiat", and take the putt for the win.

/been bounced out of many birdies/aces so i feel no sympathy.
//also never played in a tourney

That's like a batter stepping off base so he can get tagged out in a playoff game b/c he got on due to an error.

No it's not, dude didn't make an error, he hit dead center chains and bounced out of the Bottom of the basket.

Keep rambling on and showing what kind of a person you are people will love to make trades/deals w/you.
You're parents must be so proud of your reading comprehension, usage of similes and your beliefs of fair play in general.

I personally believe Paul had the confidence that he could beat him straight up and wanted to have that being said instead of a solid putt bouncing out being the "story".

And now as I read on, I see that they had already agreed to split the cash.

:cheers: