• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Under Armour Backpack

Case in point, the Open Water Tackle Backpack posted a few posts earlier. It uses Plano 3700 sized tackle boxes, so that's the ideal size for disc depth. It also has a rainfly built into the back. It's one I've looked at before, but the price is what held me off. I try to stay under the $60 mark to justify a DIY bag. Frame building, modding, etc. adds more cost, so I try not to buy $100 bags. But if you found it cheap ($47 definitely falls into that category) it's definitely worth it.

However, the Open Water bag is BIG. As EL-Kabong pointed out. If Cabelas is the Grip of DIY bags, the Open Water is the Prodiscus of DIY bags. It won't be for everyone.

So everybody should start emailing Under Armour right now telling them they need to tap in to the DG market by making a dg bag.

wouldn't it be better to email cabelas and get them to bring the XPG bag back?
UA will find out how over priced our bags are and make even more expensive....cause its UA branded.

wouldn't it be better to email cabelas and get them to bring the XPG bag back?
UA will find out how over priced our bags are and make even more expensive....cause its UA branded.

or they'll make a bag that's probably not the same quality as what's popular right now but way cheaper because they have the manufactoruing capabailities that are far beyond anybody making bags as of now.

or they'll make a bag that's probably not the same quality as what's popular right now but way cheaper because they have the manufacturing capabilities that are far beyond anybody making bags as of now.

in a perfect world.
UA in general is over-priced for all of their stuff. so i highly doubt they would sell it for less but its always a slim possibility

This thing is so cool it really need it's own linked pic

Pic is by throwfromthewoods

attachment.jpg

This very nice. Almost more disc golf-like than the Cabela's. Very good job!

This very nice. Almost more disc golf-like than the Cabela's. Very good job!

Well, I touched on it in an earlier post. The problem is, the Cabela's thread started as "My version of the Grip EQ." When in reality, the bag is not really similar to a Grip. The Cabela's bag is designed much closer to a Revo Dualpack or a Flak. Which is fine, it works great. But it's misleading, to me.

This bag is much closer to a Grip in terms of functionality. Side storage pockets, discs drop down into the main compartment, you can create a putter pocket up top, etc. It's all the same in the end, just arranged differently.

Personally, my biggest problem with a Flak, or Revo, or the Cabela's bag is how the discs are stored. I would much rather set the discs down into the bag and be able to get at them from a top angle than have to pull them out directly from the front.

There is also a top-load build for the Cabela's (I don't recall who started it), that organizes things a bit closer to the Grip model.

in a perfect world.
UA in general is over-priced for all of their stuff. so i highly doubt they would sell it for less but its always a slim possibility

Are you suggesting they would make one and sell it for three times as much as their current backpacks? They may be overpriced but their overpriced is way cheaper than the current options. I don't really see where you get overpriced from.

Are you suggesting they would make one and sell it for three times as much as their current backpacks? They may be overpriced but their overpriced is way cheaper than the current options. I don't really see where you get overpriced from.

I think the idea would be somewhat like DD's Ranger that is designed by Ogio. They will see that the industry standard for backpacks in disc golf is right around $200. Even if the bag costs $40 to make, they'll still expect to get $200 for one and chalk it up to a higher profit margin. It would be difficult to convince a major manufacturer to sell a full run of bags at $120 when every other manufacturer sells out at $200.

apparently you've never heard of walmart and how it put thousands of small business owners out of business by offering less quality goods at drastically smaller prices. you're not comparing two manufacturers, you're comparing one of the largest apparel companies in the country to mom and pop orgs.

apparently you've never heard of walmart and how it put thousands of small business owners out of business by offering less quality goods at drastically smaller prices. you're not comparing two manufacturers, you're comparing one of the largest apparel companies in the country to mom and pop orgs.

Well, sure. But Wal-Mart isn't a manufacturer. They're a distributor. They buy in bulk and resale. Under Armour is a manufacturer, just like Voodoo is a manufacturer. UA would look to other manufacturers in the same sport for a price point expectation.

When Ogio started making golf bags, they would have looked to Nike and Titleist to see what their golf bags sell for. Ogio golf bags aren't any cheaper than industry giants like Nike. There's no reason to make them cheaper if consumers expect to pay $150 for a golf bag.

Let's say they would make 300 units in one run. That would be their manufactuing limit. If they sell for $150, they make $45,000. If they sell them for $120, they make $36,000. They'd have to up their production almost 100 bags a run just to make more money. That takes up more time, more worker hours, and a longer turnaround. If they KNOW they can sell a full run of 300 bags at $150, why wouldn't they? Just like if Grip knows they will sell out of every Special Edition bag at $260, why would they sell them for $200? Or, for this example, if UA could sell a disc golf bag for $200 and sell every bag in a run...then they have no incentive to sell it for cheaper.