• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Understable approach and putt disc?

dodgeball

Double Eagle Member
Did a search and surprisingly nothing came up that fit. So what do u use for those 100ft and in shots, where u need a right hook/turn to get around trees? I used to have a regular Aviar that worked pretty well, but I was just curious as to what other people use.

Magic. Or I have been know to FH-spike my Hornets and now Roc, but only if I just want to get close. The Magic is the choice if I think I can get it in.

Bullet XD all the way up to 250' holds almost any line except extreme Hyzers

Gateway Magic definitely. If you need something a little longer, you want a Meteor. A little longer still, and you want a Stratus.

These days I'm most likely to FH a putter or mid rather than float an anhyzer. Magics work well if you want to backhand that sort of shot.

My medium Ion is the most neutral disc if thrown that short. It's oddly neutral, so if you start it with anny, it's keeping the anny.

My medium Ion is the most neutral disc if thrown that short. It's oddly neutral, so if you start it with anny, it's keeping the anny.
Yep. I would throw an Ion, FH hyzer or BH anny depending on the line required. I used to carry Wizard and Magic, but the Ion has intermediate stability and is sufficiently versatile to replace both.

Thanks for all the responses. For those saying beat versions of stable discs (mostly Wizes and BB Aviars), how beat r we talking? I've got a proline Wizard and a soft Voodoo that are still pretty stable after 5 months or so of use. The Voodoo is more understable of the two, but it will flex out on these shorter type of shots. Until I get those beat in, looks like I've got some good suggestions here. It's interesting that most of the discs suggested (Magic, Ion, Summit) have almost identical numbers. You guys know your stuff!

For those suggesting FH, I can appreciate the advice. I FH drives and midrange quite a bit, but I guess I still haven't quite got the hang of forehanding the putters. For shots needing a good hook at the end, it seems like this is the best option, so I'll keep working on it. But for more gradual right turning shots, I still might prefer the backhand with something understable. In any event, it's probably best to have the option of either shot.

Funny part is the course I'm playing this afternoon has a shot like this. I usually hyzer fh a drone at about 50%, it's a real risk reward because about 15' beyond the basket is a very steep drop off and to the right is some serious scrub oak. I've seen bh spikes over the scrub, but, eh, I'm still not comfortable going that route. If I were to have to BH the same type of shot I would probably anhyzer a comet or use my Summit (last choice as it's of the soft variety and doesn't take an anhyzer very well).

Latest posts