• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"UNOFFICAL" Disc Golf Lingo

I/you forgot to pay the monkeys - if somebody is hitting every tree
Somebody paid the monkeys - if a shot hits a tight gap or got some tree love

i used to play with a bunch of um....members of the counterculture... and if someone was on their approach and hit any part of the basket they yell "hippy rules!!! count it!!" I always thought that was hilarious....:D

Taking the path less traveled by = A shot that goes way off path but ends up presenting a decent, if unique, line for your next shot.
Lumberjacking - Hitting the same tree more than once on the same hole. Usually incites a round of Monty Python's Lumberjack song.

"Seein' Jesus" is a term my friends came up with, but means absolutly nothing to anybody else... One day we were playing a round at the local church course and my friend hit the church building, although its about 75 feet out of the way, he shanked it pretty bad. So any time someone's near a building, we ask him if he's seein jesus.

"Bathroom Break" a shot that lands near the port-o-potty on a course

burn/burner/burn shot = turnover
juiced = dueced
assist = someone tips/kicks your putt in
bearin it up = approaching your lie (in the rough) through the path u plan to throw, to widen the route
lake dick = the disease u get from goin in some nasty water to get your disc

Among some of the local players I know, we sometimes yell "get in the water!" when a shot is looking good. This has caused a little confusion when playing with folks unfamiliar with this phrase. I've had out of town players ask me if there is a hidden water hazard when I've told a disc to get wet.

Having grown up playing made-up object courses around Philly, my friends and I will refer to hitting iron as a "Philly ace" (or whichever shot it was). We also use this as a tiebreaker if we only have time to play a fixed number of holes. So if we both have 27 after 9 holes but I had a "Philly 2" in there, then I win.

My buddies and I refer to getting denied by the chastity belt as getting "Canada-ed" and getting denied by the cage "Mexico-ed". By default a putt or shot that goes in and sticks is called "Merica".

Win.

merica-hell-yes4-lg.jpg

OK, let's hear/see some words, terms & phrases you and your friends say/use on the Disc Golf course!

I will start it off.

A Mad Max =

tombstone.jpg

mm1.jpg

To me the top pic looks like a Righty flick shot that landed about 55ft away from 2's basket at Highland Park..........just sayin

^^^^ You'd think it'd be OK to have fun here. You'd be disappointed.

Last edited:
I knew that orange disc looked familiar... It's TAP's!

"Too much mustard on that tomato" = over thrown shot (drive, approach, putt)

also phrased as "The mustard to tomato ratio was definatley off on that shot"

and on any shot we will randomly yell "ROLL TIDE! AMEN!" because we think its absolutley ridiculous.

i used to play with a bunch of um....members of the counterculture... and if someone was on their approach and hit any part of the basket they yell "hippy rules!!! count it!!" I always thought that was hilarious....:D

That's pretty funny!

We often sing to each other's crappy shots:

Got way too much turnover? "Baby come back, you can blame it all on me..."
Threw it way too high? "Up, up and away, in my beautiful ________ (insert ridiculous semi-rhyming word here)"
If someone throws a Flash, they get the theme song- "FLASH! AH-AHH...Defender of the Universe"

If you just barely missed something (tree, pole, etc.), you moved a molecule.

We thank Treesus for uninterrupted shots, free of woody debris. Amen!

Any birdies get a "Word to the Bird" with a high five.

Need to use a giant anhyzer route? That's Big 'Uns

There's tons more, but I gotta teach...

Get New! The act of the disc coming back to the left (rhbh).

Boom Chicken. Throwing a far drive. Also Boom Chickadee for when a woman throws it far.

Big Dick Bastard. Really said for no reason other than to get people to look at you funny, but said quite often (by me) when someone goes for a ballsy putt.

Dickie Doo! What I call my self when I throw bad shots.

Joo Fro Far! Not meant to be racist but fun to say.

Dump hyzer. Referring to holes that are boring. All you have to do is throw a stupid hyzer at it. No thought required.

In a PDGA tournament, as not to cuss, I'll just say my name very loud. DICK! gives me the enjoyment of cussing without the penalty.

Goin Big Boy - Choosing a line which most wouldn't even consider and takes a serious amount of power to achieve: Hyzer Bombs over trees from the tee instead of the intended lane or fairway. Can be used when someone grip-locks and goes way off course as well: "Goin Big Boy today eh buddy?"

Horseshoe - Disc coming to rest up against the pole below the basket.

Duck - Fluttering ugly putt.

Army Golf - Going Left, Right, Left, Right on a straight ahead hole.

Safety Meeting - Pausing for a cause.

And the usual: Treenied - Denied by a tree. Treejected - Rejected by a tree. Treelove - Put ON course by a tree.

Latest posts