• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

unoriginal newbie thoughts....

runningDoc

Double Eagle Member
I can almost guarantee that everyone new to this game (or even seasoned vets) have had this happen, but I still must vent...

in my first two months playing disc golf:

- I can hit 300-350 feet during field practice - but at every hole at the local course wether it be 272, 280, 240, 300, 330 feet long I will still park my disc about 20-30 feet in front of the hole.

- my "starter set" which included a 140-150 gram dx leopard got so beat up that I could throw it vertically 90º downward and it would still flip over.

- I ended up using said uber-flippy leopard as my dedicated "roller" - which meant that the 2nd time I rolled it into a large bush that contained a snake nest (probably just garter snakes) and I decided it was to stay there forever.

- a week later a kind soul calls me and says he found my leopard. I warn him about the snake nest. He yells to his friend about said snake nest. I hear "OMG THERE IS LIKE 50 F**KING SNAKES IN HERE DUDE!" in the background.

- I joke around and show my buddies how flippy my leopard is - flies 100 feet it flips over, darts away and hits a tree branch. I throw it again, and apparently it has beaten right back into a glorious straight as nails fairway driver - and it goes back into the bag.

- I lost a disc yesterday. My pink champ Roc3 I could've sworn it was heading right to the basket as it grazed some leaves. I look everywhere and can't find it. A couple foursomes go through and help me look. I finally give up. Walking back to the car I think.. wait maybe I'll just play the hole again and find it. Still can't find it. Then in true Indiana Jones fashion I see a pink ray of light hit the ground.*

*the damn disc was stuck in branches from about 10 feet above :doh:

sorry for the musings...

The second place I will immediately look, if a disc isn't on the ground in the area where I last saw it sail, is up.

^it took me two months of playing in a heavily heavily wooded course to finally realize just to look up.

another musing: this game is so similar to racquet sports and baseball in the sense that you can be joking around a put a quick "no effort" swing onto a ball/disc and it ends up being the longest drive/home run you've ever hit.:eek:

No worse than me, trees love me and give them back but water seems to hate me. Lost 2 discs in 2 days, thankfully just dx and I know where they are. Building a lake rake now.

It happens. Have found my fair share of discs in trees. Carry a water bottle or a hockey puck to get em out.

No way I'm throwing my trust fat max in a tree, nor paying 20 bucks for another one. But good suggestion :D
I think he might be talking about using the tape to reach for a disc, not throw it. With out wind, you could reach up quite a bit with a fat max. More compact and lighter than a telescopic pole .........good idea actually . I found a field hockey ball and used it once. It bounced around like crazy and ended up in the lake!