• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I've been considering filling my bag with only Vibram discs. I currently throw the Obex, Ascent, and Sole. I have a Lace that I like to pretend that I can throw. Will I be happy replacing my Valyrie with a Trak? What about replacing my Buzzz with an Ibex? Is there any official word on an overstable fairway driver coming? And finally, should I add any more putters to my bag in addition to the Soles?

I swore I would never stop throwing Buzzzes, but the Ibex pushed Buzzzes out of my bag. I feel that the Ibex is a much more versatile mold than the Buzzz and will hold any line on any power level. Whether you want to go 350' dead nuts straight or throw a 50' floaty anhyzer, the Ibex will do it all.

I swore I would never stop throwing Buzzzes, but the Ibex pushed Buzzzes out of my bag. I feel that the Ibex is a much more versatile mold than the Buzzz and will hold any line on any power level. Whether you want to go 350' dead nuts straight or throw a 50' floaty anhyzer, the Ibex will do it all.

This. This x1000.

And it's nice to get someone who agrees with me that threw Buzzzes. I always tried to and (yes I am going there) the buzzz never lived up to the hype (oh snap, I went there), at least in my opinion.

Then I started throwing the Ibex and it did everything that people told me the Buzzz would do, and then some.

This. This x1000.

And it's nice to get someone who agrees with me that threw Buzzzes. I always tried to and (yes I am going there) the buzzz never lived up to the hype (oh snap, I went there), at least in my opinion.

Then I started throwing the Ibex and it did everything that people told me the Buzzz would do, and then some.

I've been happy with my buzzz, really no reason to replace it except for vibram support. My roc3 on the other hand was a huge disappointment and the Obex blew it out of the water.

When I signed up for the birdie bash I chose the Obex to fill the overstable mid slot in my bag, and I regretted it almost right away wishing I had chosen a fairway driver instead (already having an ascent and plenty of understable fds). When the bash came around and I started throwing it, I wondered why no one else picked it - it was perfect for the event, and I really was the only person who picked it. (of course I still did dreadfully awful, but that's not the discs fault)

So I'll keep an eye out for a nice looking ibex and trak, but I'm in no hurry to fill those slots. It's nice to know that they are competent discs that I can rely on.

Last edited:
^Right on. I have no qualms with the Buzzz, it's a good disc. And I'm sure people who rave about it get everything they want out of it. But I found the Ibex to be the disc that fit the description of what all the Buzzz fans said a Buzzz did.

Honestly, I had never really felt comfortable with a mid until I threw an Ibex.

^Right on. I have no qualms with the Buzzz, it's a good disc. And I'm sure people who rave about it get everything they want out of it. But I found the Ibex to be the disc that fit the description of what all the Buzzz fans said a Buzzz did.

Honestly, I had never really felt comfortable with a mid until I threw an Ibex.

I still believe that the Buzzz is an amazing disc. I love how it fits in the hand and how it flies, but I just can't really justify having both Buzzzes and Ibexes in my bag, so since I found myself reaching for the Ibex so much more, I finally made the tough decision to remove the Buzzz from my bag.

I still believe that the Buzzz is an amazing disc. I love how it fits in the hand and how it flies, but I just can't really justify having both Buzzzes and Ibexes in my bag, so since I found myself reaching for the Ibex so much more, I finally made the tough decision to remove the Buzzz from my bag.

Just curious as to your opinion on this, but was the Buzzz power-hungry in your experience? It flew great when thrown hard on a line, but felt like it HAD to be thrown hard to achieve that line, at least for me. That was really my only "problem" with a Buzzz.

#threaddrift

Just curious as to your opinion on this, but was the Buzzz power-hungry in your experience? It flew great when thrown hard on a line, but felt like it HAD to be thrown hard to achieve that line, at least for me. That was really my only "problem" with a Buzzz.

#threaddrift

When I threw Buzzzes I had a sweet yellow bar stamp that loved tons of power. Also, I had an ESP FLX that I really loved for upshots. I don't remember if I ever really powered down the Z Buzzz, but my FLX did just fine. I do remember that mine didn't like holding a slow anny line like the Ibex will.

When I threw Buzzzes I had a sweet yellow bar stamp that loved tons of power. Also, I had an ESP FLX that I really loved for upshots. I don't remember if I ever really powered down the Z Buzzz, but my FLX did just fine. I do remember that mine didn't like holding a slow anny line like the Ibex will.

That was my experience too. And the main reason the Buzzz never clicked for me. I could throw a hard anny, but never a high, floating one or a soft, shorter one reliably with a Buzzz. And the Ibex loves those shots.

I have been having trouble with my putters lately and my friends have been telling me to get a Ridge. I decided to drink the Kool-aid, and bought one last night and played 3 rounds with it. I must say I am very impressed. It has the glide I want, and the flight I want, and it sticks to the chains great, so I guess I am now a believer .

Just got our DansComp in the mail. ( It's a BMX mailorder catalog ) Browsing the shoes section and came across some IPath shoes. The shoes are designed for BMX and skateboarding. However, their new selling point is that they now feature Vibram soles.

Just got our DansComp in the mail. ( It's a BMX mailorder catalog ) Browsing the shoes section and came across some IPath shoes. The shoes are designed for BMX and skateboarding. However, their new selling point is that they now feature Vibram soles.

image.jpg

Here's a visual. Not the prettiest shoes from the top, but the bottom...Oh Man!

I have been having trouble with my putters lately and my friends have been telling me to get a Ridge. I decided to drink the Kool-aid, and bought one last night and played 3 rounds with it. I must say I am very impressed. It has the glide I want, and the flight I want, and it sticks to the chains great, so I guess I am now a believer .

Get ready for a rubber invasion. Once you get one rubber disc in the bag, the floodgates are opened.

Welcome to the cult!:thmbup:

I want to get the most stable Obex I can get, what do I look for? The one I am throwing is M and 175g, would like one more stable than that.

Not sure if the domes are ever different on them, are firm Obex's more stable than Med?

I need a last minute birdie bash recommendation. I throw teebirds, wraiths, buzzzs and wizards mostly. I was thinking ascent and sole.

I got my first Vibram at the beginning of October. By Thankgsiving my whole bag was all Vibram.

I want to get the most stable Obex I can get, what do I look for? The one I am throwing is M and 175g, would like one more stable than that.

Not sure if the domes are ever different on them, are firm Obex's more stable than Med?
Medium will be just as stable as firm and won't beat in nearly as fast. However, it is going to be tough to pick out an overstable one, because the Obex is probably one of the most consistently manufactured discs on the market. I've handled about a dozen Obex(es, en, ii?) and they all have looked and felt the exact same, as well as flying the exact same.

My best suggestion is getting a 178 Medium Obex. Maybe a soft too, if you like the way they feel, as a soft will virtually never beat in. I don't think you will ever find a truly overstable Obex, I define the Obex as stable... Think a fresh DX Roc.

I need a last minute birdie bash recommendation. I throw teebirds, wraiths, buzzzs and wizards mostly. I was thinking ascent and sole.

If it is a shorter course that you'd feel comfortable using your Buzzz, the Ibex would be a great choice. Otherwise an Ascent will work great. And as for a putter, I personally feel the Ridge is more Wizard-like.

I will third the ascent (firm i would suggest) and ridge (medium)

The Ascent replaced my teebird. I bought a wizard, but prefer my ridge.

Last edited:

Latest posts