• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I have one like that, it barely turns at all, side by side with my slightly broken in ascent they fly the same lines.

Agreed... two of my Vibrams are not acting as "planned" and I'm still trying to get their M.O totally dialed in.

• 165g M-Trak - not seeing the turn, and has more fade than I'd hoped. Currently the "throw it down a hallway" shot still belongs to my TLs
  • 174g. M-Obex - not as (over)stable as I was hoping. (...and I'm no he-man who's simply overpowering it!) For now, the Pain still owns the OS-ish mid shot based on glide.

Both are flat(ish).
  • The Trak is flatter than both my TLs and the Obex is flatter than my Pain.
  • While not a perfect rule, generally speaking, doesn't flatter = increased stability?
  • If so, then I understand the Trak having more fade than my TLs. However, under that same logic, wouldn't I also see more fade in my Obex?

Parting line height is probably the best indicator but with no other trak for comparison it would do me no good to speculate what a true trak would throw like. A friends trak flew pretty stable from what I remember but that was a while ago, now he claims it's flippy. My obex's fly just like an ibex with more fade unless I OAT, the flat one/broken in no vibram logo is most like an ibex the other is still new and fairly unscathed(id like to keep it that way for stability purposes) and it flys similar to my GL mace albeit not as much glide as well as not giving it more time to fade. So the mace is gone now to a fresh heavy obex.

What kind of cross wind were you throwing in? I have been yearning for a Mobex because a headwind or the right crosswind has literally destroyed my Obex. I still love the Obex and oddly enough have been reaching for it much more than my Ibex. And I love the Ibex.

Probably 10-20mph with the occasional gust up over 20mph. I just make sure when throwing my Vibrams in crosswinds to throw them as close to perfectly flat as possible. As long as I manage to do that they are amazing.

You picked another disc that kicks me in the wind. Perhaps my Trak got beat to a pulp but I thought Vibrams didn't beat in after their initial beat period. Maybe I am just becoming a stronger player. I am convinced that is not the case though.

I have two Traks in the bag: one for turnovers and hyzer-flips that is nice and understable as well as one that flies more like an almost fresh star teebird. The one that is more stable is slightly heavier and has a nice dome to it. The understable one is board flat.

Agreed... two of my Vibrams are not acting as "planned" and I'm still trying to get their M.O totally dialed in.

• 165g M-Trak - not seeing the turn, and has more fade than I'd hoped. Currently the "throw it down a hallway" shot still belongs to my TLs
  • 174g. M-Obex - not as (over)stable as I was hoping. (...and I'm no he-man who's simply overpowering it!) For now, the Pain still owns the OS-ish mid shot based on glide.

Both are flat(ish).
  • While not a perfect rule, generally speaking, doesn't flatter = increased stability?
  • If so, then I understand the Trak having more fade than my TLs. However, under that same logic, wouldn't I also see more fade in my Obex?

I think the relationship between dome and stability varies by mold. Take blizzard discs in that domey ones are meathooks, and flat ones are super understable, or Rancho Rocs where I am told a flatter Roc is more overstable.

I have not seen much variation myself on Obexes apart from the added skip between medium and firm. My Obex if thrown flat will go super straight before finishing left. However, if I put it on a hyzer, the degree of hyzer will gradually increase through its flight as an overstable disc would be expected to do.

So which do you guys prefer an ascent or beefy trak? I'm going to have to either buy a new trak or flatten the one I have, gonna test them side by side more but id like to know what the general consensus is among other vibram throwers.

Last edited:

Both are flat(ish).
In my experience, the more stable Traks I have seen have always been domey. But PLH will always be the most telling indicator, on any mold.

And every Obex I have ever handled has felt the exact same, pretty darn flat. And as far as flight, I've always considered the Obex to be more of a stable mid, not really an OS one. So the Obex is the stable complement to neutral Ibex. You can crank on an Obex it is going to ride straight with a good fade, but it's definitely not beefy.

So which do you guys prefer an ascent or beefy trak? I'm going to have to either buy a new trak or flatten the one I have, gonna test them side by side more but id like to know what the general consensus is among other vibram throwers.

I prefer Ascents. I have a 169 that is a super straight flyer for me, with a reliable forward fade and a 175 that is Banshee beefy. And the only difference I have noted between the molds is a more pronounced "lip" on the wing of the 175 Ascent. Those two discs are my workhorses.

I thought the Ascent was working its way out of my bag and then about a month ago I started throwing them more and more. The Trak was just not as predictable for me and so I reached for the Ascent and continue to do so. I have a flippy Ascent and a new Ascent in the bag right now. I still love my Trak, I just haven't thrown it in a while.

I've been considering filling my bag with only Vibram discs. I currently throw the Obex, Ascent, and Sole. I have a Lace that I like to pretend that I can throw. Will I be happy replacing my Valyrie with a Trak? What about replacing my Buzzz with an Ibex? Is there any official word on an overstable fairway driver coming? And finally, should I add any more putters to my bag in addition to the Soles?

I thought the Ascent was working its way out of my bag and then about a month ago I started throwing them more and more. The Trak was just not as predictable for me and so I reached for the Ascent and continue to do so. I have a flippy Ascent and a new Ascent in the bag right now. I still love my Trak, I just haven't thrown it in a while.
Welp I got my newer heavier firm ascent back from my old man, had to con em with a lightweight firm lace. How long did it take for your stable trak to get flippy? I'm kind of impatient, really I just have a slot to fill right now.

I've been considering filling my bag with only Vibram discs. I currently throw the Obex, Ascent, and Sole. I have a Lace that I like to pretend that I can throw. Will I be happy replacing my Valyrie with a Trak? What about replacing my Buzzz with an Ibex? Is there any official word on an overstable fairway driver coming? And finally, should I add any more putters to my bag in addition to the Soles?

Throwing an all Vibram bag is definitely possible, as I do it and I know a few other do too. The only gap is an overstable driver. But I've found a beefier Ascent can handle anything except the windiest of days and the OSLace should be getting to testers soon, so there's an overstable driver coming sometime soon.

As far as replacing/adding discs:
-A Trak flies similar to a fresh Valk. In my opinion, it flies a much tighter line though, albeit at the sacrifice of a little bit of distance potential. But definitely a great substitute, especially if you get a flatter Trak.

-And as for the Ibex; I have always said that the Ibex is the disc that people claim the Buzzz is. For me, the Ibex is the best lineshaping mid out there, it loves locking into an angle (straight, hyzer, or anhyzer) and holding it when thrown hard, and is sneaky long.

-Keep putting with the Soles if you like them. And if you like driving with them that's great. If not, try a Ridge. Best driving putter on the market. Easy to range, dead nuts straight, and assuming you have decent form, you can absolutely crank on it.

-VP. Add a VP. Best approach disc on the market, hands down. Also, a great headwind putter for windy days. Well, actually just a great putter period, it's my primary putter. This disc is the unsung hero of the Vibram lineup. I use a VP for just about every single shot under 200'. Pick one up and start using it for upshots, I can almost guarantee you will fall in love with it.

Edit: I hate my phone and it's silly autocorrects

Last edited:
-Keep putting with the Soles if you like them. And if you like driving with them that's great. If not, try a Ridge. Best driving putter on the market. Easy to range, dead nuts straight, and assuming you have decent form, you can absolutely crank on it.

I'm not sold on the Sole, I just had a soft one so when I went to the birdie bash I decided to get a medium one. I also have a medium Ridge, but I was trying to drop one or the other from my bag, and decided on the Sole only because I already had the soft one. I haven't had any issues with the Sole, so I have no reason to pull it from my bag. Maybe I just need to take them both with me and try the same shots, see which one ends up with better results.

I'll pick up a VP and medium Ascent tonight if the shop has colors I like. I'll get a Trak and Ibex if the shop has colors that I need.

-VP. Add a VP. Best approach disc on the market, hands down. Also, a great headwind putter for windy days. Well, actually just a great putter period, it's my primary putter. This disc is the unsung hero of the Vibram lineup. I use a VP for just about every single shot under 200'. Pick one up and start using it for upshots, I can almost guarantee you will fall in love with it.

Pardon my ignorance, but how does the VP fly differently than the Sole and Ridge? Basing only on what inbounds says, the three are pretty much the same with the VP being the most overstable.

I'll pick one up anyways to see how it throws. What should I look for? Heaviest? Medium or Firm xlink?

Pardon my ignorance, but how does the VP fly differently than the Sole and Ridge? Basing only on what inbounds says, the three are pretty much the same with the VP being the most overstable.

I'll pick one up anyways to see how it throws. What should I look for? Heaviest? Medium or Firm xlink?

VP is the most overstable Vibram putter. It will fly closer to the Ridge, based on the shape, but is more OS. It is slow, overstable, and has very little glide, which is my definition of a great approach disc. It's very easy to range, forgiving, and predictable.

I would suggest getting a heavier (170+), medium VP. The medium will minimize skipping, but won't get extremely floppy in the heat like a soft would.

I use the Medium Ridge for approach and putting anything within 200ft, might get a firm for off the tee, as I sometimes prefer my Wizard there if it is too hot and the Medium gets too soft. The bigget difference I've noticed with my Firm VP is that it really hates gliding. It seems to go only as far as you muscle it. This is a great feature when you don't want to overshoot the pin, but otherwise I don't pull it out and am confident the Ridge can handle any shot the VP would be used on.

I have no experience with the Sole but it seems to be shaped more like a beadless aviar or other traditional style putter. I would assume that it can handle the same duties as the Ridge (I used to use an Aviar before I bought the Ridge) if the feel is something you prefer.

Honestly, I find uses for the VP just because I don't want to be rid of it, but the glide the ridge provides seems to make it an all around more useful disc.

B's correct.

The difference for me (other than glide) is the rounded shoulder and the 'hand feel'. I was sold on the Sole until I went ahead and got a Summit. After that it was a VP for the windy days. The Summit/VP combo is amazing, covers the OS and US slots. I use mediums at 175.

I still use the Sole sometimes (driver mostly because of the glide factor), but 90% of my P&A are with the Summit/VP combo. If I'm on a hole with a cliff or one that has roll potential (which is very common here in CA) then I'll use my soft Ibex/Obex combo for approach.

:)

So I compared the firm ascent I took from my dad, it noticeably had a higher parting line than my medium. I've only thrown it once but it did come up shorter than my medium. It had more glide and fade than my medium as well, gonna be an awesome pairing I think. Those of you with multiple ascents in various densities, is there any trend with the inconsistencies you've found?

I use the Medium Ridge for approach and putting anything within 200ft, might get a firm for off the tee, as I sometimes prefer my Wizard there if it is too hot and the Medium gets too soft. The bigget difference I've noticed with my Firm VP is that it really hates gliding. It seems to go only as far as you muscle it. This is a great feature when you don't want to overshoot the pin, but otherwise I don't pull it out and am confident the Ridge can handle any shot the VP would be used on.

I have no experience with the Sole but it seems to be shaped more like a beadless aviar or other traditional style putter. I would assume that it can handle the same duties as the Ridge (I used to use an Aviar before I bought the Ridge) if the feel is something you prefer.

Honestly, I find uses for the VP just because I don't want to be rid of it, but the glide the ridge provides seems to make it an all around more useful disc.

Haha, that's funny because I feel that the VP's lack of glide is the reason it's a more useful disc. It makes it easier to range an approach shot as my throwing power has the biggest effect on disc placement, with less variables. But that is just personal preference. But the lack of glide definitely makes it less prone to wind, which I find to be super useful in the windy flatlands that I call home.

That being said, I totally agree that a Ridge could cover most of the same shots. And the Ridge has added use as a great stable driving putter (which is why I always carry one when I use my backpack bag). I love cranking a Ridge down a tight tunnel or for shots just outside of VP range.

Haha, that's funny because I feel that the VP's lack of glide is the reason it's a more useful disc. It makes it easier to range an approach shot as my throwing power has the biggest effect on disc placement, with less variables. But that is just personal preference. But the lack of glide definitely makes it less prone to wind, which I find to be super useful in the windy flatlands that I call home.

That being said, I totally agree that a Ridge could cover most of the same shots. And the Ridge has added use as a great stable driving putter (which is why I always carry one when I use my backpack bag). I love cranking a Ridge down a tight tunnel or for shots just outside of VP range.

So much word to you, sir. I totally understand where you are coming from. I think I put too much value judgement in my post. I should have said, "The ridge is great if you are looking for it to..."
Or, I should have said, "My advice is to buy them all, love them, and see your game get better wholly based on the power of HEART!"

Latest posts