• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I have a VP that I use pretty regularly and it seems to be just as stable as when I first bought it. I think its "medium";rubbery but not floppy. Anyways, from those who throw a lot of Vibram, do the discs "beat in" or do they basically keep their original stability? Im most interested in the wear of Vibram's drivers.

The mid ranges lose a little HSS and LSS but are glidier IMO. The putters lost some HSS kept pretty much the same LSS but less apparent. Really the VP and ridge got straighter and the ridge eventually flips like a new summit but fades back. Putters also seem to glide better the more seasoned they get. The ascent is a hyzer flip machine, the trak I haven't broken in but my friends will make long turnover shots now instead of laser straight. My laces I haven't let break in, kind of don't want them to, but I did have a very flat one that was flippy as hell.

Last edited:
The mid ranges lose a little HSS and LSS but are glidier IMO. The putters lost some HSS kept pretty much the same LSS but less apparent. Really the VP and ridge got straighter and the ridge eventually flips like a new summit but fades back. Putters also seem to glide better the more seasoned they get. The ascent is a hyzer flip machine, the trak I haven't broken in but my friends will make long turnover shots now instead of laser straight. My laces I haven't let break in, kind of don't want them to, but I did have a very flat one that was flippy as hell.

See any differences in the plastic/rubber? I would think the firm breaks in a little more but maybe Im wrong

I don't let my firms reach wooded courses too much. Lost my firm ibex to test mids, no firm fairways except the ascent my dad took but it's brand new. My lace hasn't seen too many impacts except concrete and a stray limb or two. The concrete left an impression but nothing like what I've seen others do to one. Anything that would wreak havoc to a plastic disc seems a little worse when compared to rubber but like I said it would do it to any disc regardless of makeup. My firm putters haven't changed in the slightest unless you count the warping like all discs get over time, but a little hot water fixes that. I'm vary particular about waves in the disc..ocd. Putters are starting to get a little extra glide now, it seems the rubber is getting pushed together around the bead making a very smooth transition from the wing to the bead.

Last edited:
Care to word that a little differently? drivers to putters, that's like apples to oranges

Sweet Jesus, I just have Vibram on the brain. I meant sole. I would like to know what putters the sole flies like. That's the one I meant. I already throw laces.

I have a VP that I use pretty regularly and it seems to be just as stable as when I first bought it. I think its "medium";rubbery but not floppy. Anyways, from those who throw a lot of Vibram, do the discs "beat in" or do they basically keep their original stability? Im most interested in the wear of Vibram's drivers.

As a rule of thumb for Vibram, the faster the disc, the quicker it beats in.

The firmer formulas will beat in faster than softer ones, mostly because they have more plastic in the mix.

Credible Vibram forum contributors should feel free to correct me, if they feel its necessary.

As a rule of thumb for Vibram, the faster the disc, the quicker it beats in.

The firmer formulas will beat in faster than softer ones, mostly because they have more plastic in the mix.

Credible Vibram forum contributors should feel free to correct me, if they feel its necessary.

I second this. Although I will note that I have no idea why the firmer Vibrams beat in faster, they just do in my experience. And will also note, I personally think it is next to, if not, impossible to beat in the soft Xlink.

My medium x-link VPs all fly like they did the day I bought them. Thousands of throws.

I have beat in some Ascents, but have yet to beat in a Vibram putter. If you like them new, they'll stay that way for years.

I have an older VP that is beat in and will flip a little bit for me. It is really just less forgiving rather than less stable.

To correct the one that asked for correcting, I am not sure what Vibram does to change the firmness of their materials, but I am pretty sure it isn't adding plastic. Mr. Dodge may be able to elaborate more but they are all rubber discs they can adjust firmness through treatment and the addition of other compounds that are friendly with rubber. That is the only thing that really needed correcting.

On that note, I only throw medium x-link. There is an early beat in phase but after that I have not noticed a change in stability in any of my discs. Because I tend to throw drivers harder and more often hit things with them, they beat in faster. I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the discs themselves just how you use the discs.

X link is a mixture of rubber and plastic, not pure rubber, but thanks for playing. :hfive:

And this may be my 80hr-work-week-addled mind talking, but I believe the scientific term for such a material is elastomer. Good very well be wrong on that.

Yes, X link is a TPE.
Congratulations, you get to play in the bonus round, which includes at least one speedboat, or choose whats behind door number one.

I keep a firm Ibex and Trak in my bag, only because they don't fade at the end like their medium counterparts. They unfortunately also have less glide, and can really turn and burn if I don't release just right - definitely less forgiving.

I agree that firms beat in quicker and become less stable.

The chemists use the words rubber, EVA, vulcanize and thermoset quite a bit. X-Link Soft is closest to pure rubber. X-Link Firm has the most EVA added.

To all Vibram throwers with a dog!!

I have stumbled across a way to play fetch and practice disc golf!!! Without your dog messing up your disc!!

If you have or buy a soft x-link version of your favorite disc; this can double for a dog frisbee.

I use my dog to practice throwing my ibex over and over again. You can focus solely on your wrist snap or even your run up; doesn't matter to the dog because all he wants is to get the disc and bring it back; which is another reason why dogs are awesome.

I don't think Vibram thought about this when making the soft x-link, but it is a huge added bonus to the soft x-link.

I've been doing this for over a month now and I still haven't found a tooth mark on the disc, even when he chews it for a couple of seconds each time. We've even played tug of war a couple of times for a brief stint of time; still no damage.

Before I play I use this "method of fetch" to warm up my arm and stretch while he is getting the disc. When I start playing I usually throw my soft x-link disc two or three times before I play the hole I'm on, then play the hole.

I don't see a negative to this so I encourage all Vibram dog owners to give this a try, I have yet to be sorry

Pretty sure that before they made golf discs they made dog discs in a blend that is very soft, like XL Soft is. In fact, I think it is softer than XL Soft.

Latest posts