• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

^I throw Laces/other high speed stuff in the 325' range, but I really have to works for it, feels like I torque the disc a little, and I'm sure it has quite a bit of OAT. I hit the same distance with an Unlace. But what's really cool about the Unlace is how easily I get that distance. I can throw really smooth, 70% on a hyzer, get the disc to pop up flat, slowly track right, and then have a tiny fade at the end. The glide on this thing is nuts. And when I have a wide open fairway with a lot of room to work, I'm learning to crush this disc. I throw it hard and high on a deep hyzer off to the left of the fairway (rhbh), it flips and flies all the way back across the fairway, tracks right and then just glides out straight for a long time. I'm still fairly uncomfortable working distance lines, but this is the first non-leopard driver I've ever had any success with the high, hyzer flip distance line.

This is all in no wind to 5-10 mph wind situations (although this thing LOVES a strong tailwind). It is really finicky in the wind, but my Proto is a 163g. I'm really excited to pick up a max weight production run. If the extra weight allows the Unlace to handle about 10-15% more of my power/5 or so more mph of wind, this disc will become my primary distance driver, hands down. It flies like an extremely long, glidey Summit for me. Vibram really needs to ramp up the marketing on the Unlace, targeting new players and noodle arms, because the Unlace is gonna be a game changer for that crowd.

Have yet to throw the unLace yet, but I've got to say I am falling in love all over again with the Ascent. That disc is amazing FH and so predictable BH.

Played a 4 disc round yesterday (Summit, Obex, Ascent, Lace) and just killed it. Ran into a course 'pro', bragging about being 'A' tier and whatnot. Asked if I could join him for a round, he looked at me, my nutsac, and the 4 rubber discs in it and then kinda laughed in my face. I was the one chuckling at the end of the round.....we both finished at +3 on a challenging 22 hole course.

What do you Ascent throwers use one for? I found a green medium(?) one last week and after getting some throws with it it seems like an Eagle (kind of) with less glide. It has healthy turn if you release it flat but give it hyzer and it almost seems like a Banshee, lots of dump fade. I really like the shape of the rim though.

soooooo . . .

went ahead and threw the ridge i used to own - it's in my buddy's bag now - and it flew dead straight; awesome.

the 171 firm i bought is a bit beefcakes. i like it even more! sucker will NOT turn for me unless i intentionally roll my wrist, and it's perfect for anything under 280 or so. definitely took some used to, having a serious lack of glide. once i manned up and gave it more juice and height, all was well with the world.

solid thumbs up.

the 166g summit has also stolen the spot of my beat to **** zero soft pure; it was all warped and i couldn't hold it comfortably. throwing with like 20% power (how do i measure that low? i don't know.) on a hyzer this thing will just flip up to flat and drift forward. i love it. i've tried their drivers and never really liked them, but the summit and ridge are holding down the approach shots for now; the 166g gets all the long putts. i don't know if i want to putt with the summit in the circle or with the ridge either, though. we'll have to see. summit is dangerously glidey and with the ridge being kinda beefy i don't want to hyzer out. the pa4 has been getting more action; it's like my summit in terms of stability, but drops faster.

all in all, a success!

i also bought another firm summit, but this one is 175g, for driving turnovers.

What do you Ascent throwers use one for? I found a green medium(?) one last week and after getting some throws with it it seems like an Eagle (kind of) with less glide. It has healthy turn if you release it flat but give it hyzer and it almost seems like a Banshee, lots of dump fade. I really like the shape of the rim though.

I can't really compare to other discs...never been good at that game and haven't thrown them in years. Very solid FH disc, predictable fade in the last 10% +/- of the flight when thrown flat. When they get broken-in they just seem to lose a bit of the fade angle/distance. For me, no flip at all. It's my go to FH disc for drives, just holds the line and goes. BH they are dead nuts straight for the narrow/tunnel fairways that require a bit of healthy fade at the end of flight. Open fairways with a big dog-leg and you can put some good power behind it. Very good wind fighter as well. Clear as mud...

Until I lost them a few weeks ago I used them for anything under 400. Some times try to muscle one for kicks to see if I could do it. Anything open I'd throw it as if I were throwing a teebird, but there are types, some act like banshees just dead straight then meat hook. my broken in medium hyzer flips to a banshee fade, thrown flat it flies straight up to 350, anything more it starts to turn. Those shots look beatiful, the revolutions of a Vibram disc are mesmerizing.

^nice write-ups.

I can't grip these Lace family of discs. My fingers protest anything 2.2 (speed 12) or wider generally. Is Vibram going to come out with any drivers between the Trak/Ascent width and the Lace/UnLace soon? I'd definitely audition one for my general max D slot just because I like the grip of rubber alone.

Wouldn't mind a hyzer-flip ready fairway driver either since rubber laughs at trees and hyzer flipping for a straight line in the woods is practical often. If I beat my Trak in to death that would be good.

^nice write-ups.

I can't grip these Lace family of discs. My fingers protest anything 2.2 (speed 12) or wider generally. Is Vibram going to come out with any drivers between the Trak/Ascent width and the Lace/UnLace soon? I'd definitely audition one for my general max D slot just because I like the grip of rubber alone.

Wouldn't mind a hyzer-flip ready fairway driver either since rubber laughs at trees and hyzer flipping for a straight line in the woods is practical often. If I beat my Trak in to death that would be good.

You could also try a 150-class Trak or Ascent if you wanted a good hyzer-flip fairway right out of the box.

You could also try a 150-class Trak or Ascent if you wanted a good hyzer-flip fairway right out of the box.

I feel dumb. I didn't even think about them coming in weights that low. +1 to you good sir.

I had a light Trak that was far too stable for me. Last night I put it on the stove upside down and poured near boiling water into it, then topped it with a stock pot full of hot tap water. After it cooled to room temperature I took it out and now it is board flat.

Now it is a hyzer flip machine and throwing how I wanted it to in the first place. Wish I would have done it a long time ago.

Lost all my Vibram fairways but my soft ascent. Now I'm coming upon 3 pretty ascents, oh joy! A hole in my game has been suffering without them. Having to power up and down my laces and obex has caused a fluctuation in score. Now to find a pretty firm trak. My last one sits in a pond a kid got his leg caught in an submerged barbwired post....and he sued everyone you could think of connected to the course and park...little bastard.

This is exactly my problem. I would love to try an Unlace, but never will because of the grip.

The grip doesn't feel like a 13-speeder. It is big, but I know if MVP came out with a wide rim you would give it a shot. Open your heart, brother. :hfive:

Never thrown a vibram disc, and am going to get an unlace. Can someone enlighten me to the differences between medium and firm?

Thanks!

Latest posts