• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

There is a hole at a local course where if you don't park it, you have to shoot over some shrubs. Might see how this thing turbo putts at that spot for kicks and giggles. Seems like it would work well. Never tried it before...

I highly recommend the VP for turbo putts. Yes, I have used my Summits to turbo putt but my VP has been money for all the different kinds of putts I can come up with.

4223051_orig.jpg

Here we go!

Yeah I noticed that too. You get the feeling that Vibram Disc Golf isn't to stoke to put this disc out there. They are I know that, but the lack of promotion makes me think otherwise.

And the Lace banner doesn't help ha. I can't wait for this disc. Only thing about this disc is if you put it on a downhill angle, be prepared to go right. Accidentally threw mine with a little downward angle and it went right and never even thought about stabling out.

The timing of the release was bad in that we were all concentrating on the Vibram Open. We have now tacked and are on trak to get the hype going.

Picked up an unlace today. It wasn't flippy for me at all I found it to have a consistent long glide. It did have a bit of a turn but came back every time. I've only thrown 425 once and I think there was disc gods out that day. For the most part I'm lucky to go in the high 200's. with the unlace though I was getting it consistently around 330. I'm LHBH and I could tell it felt like it had the want to flip on me but would catch every time an come back for me. It is brand new so maybe after breaking in it will start to flip. I'm really hoping it doesn't though. Now when throwing LHFH it did flip and roll a lot.

You sound like a person the unLace was designed for. Shorter range throwers (with probably less arm speed) that want amazing glide and distance.

unLace 'em!

You sound like a person the unLace was designed for. Shorter range throwers (with probably less arm speed) that want amazing glide and distance.

unLace 'em!

Would that apply to someone who approaches but rarely exceeds 300'?

The timing of the release was bad in that we were all concentrating on the Vibram Open. We have now tacked and are on trak to get the hype going.

Sounds awesome, I knew Vibram was trying to promote the disc plus trying to organize the Vibram Open, which the AM side was an awesome tournament. I can't wait to head back to Mass. and take part in another amazing tournament.

i appreciate everybody's suggestions on the VP but i reeeeeally love my breaker for skips - although when it rains . . . i think i'll just forego the turbo putting for now, haha.

i am having a bit of a putter audition session, though. the firm summit has secured itself as my long putter/approach disc.

anybody got any input on a firm ridge vs an opto pure? i'd like to have a driving putter i can also putt with and i'm never going to putt with opto.

so, ridge - less turn when ripped on? slower; a little shorter, yeah? sticks better, better clear line of definition between it and my mids, which i think i'd like to make certain shot selections easier.

i read on the boards that firm beats in quickly? if so, then there's really no point doing this because i don't want to drive with medium and i like firmer putters. i do quite a bit of driving with my putters, i know on one course near me they'll get used 8-10 times off the tee. others maybe 4-5. any comments on how the firms break in? will they get more turn than the opto over time?

would just like to be able to go from opto pure and zero hard pure down to one mold for driving/putting. if it doesn't seem feasible then there's no point.

and no, i don't want to use a wizard. :p not very comfy, and while the variation may allow me to use that one mold . . . i don't like variation.

So finally got to take my unlace out again. It had almost been a week since I was able to throw the disc. The only problem was the flight path was horrible today. My first review was pure love for this disc. All it did was sit on a shelf the whole week while training in the field. When I went out it was a totally different disc though. I looked at the dome and it didnt seem warped but it is flying like it is. So I am gonna try to place it upside down in the garage to see if that helps. I hope I can get this disc back to the way it was the first day. Although now that I think all my vibram disc seem to act up from time to time. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong here.

i appreciate everybody's suggestions on the VP but i reeeeeally love my breaker for skips - although when it rains . . . i think i'll just forego the turbo putting for now, haha.

i am having a bit of a putter audition session, though. the firm summit has secured itself as my long putter/approach disc.

anybody got any input on a firm ridge vs an opto pure? i'd like to have a driving putter i can also putt with and i'm never going to putt with opto.

so, ridge - less turn when ripped on? slower; a little shorter, yeah? sticks better, better clear line of definition between it and my mids, which i think i'd like to make certain shot selections easier.

i read on the boards that firm beats in quickly? if so, then there's really no point doing this because i don't want to drive with medium and i like firmer putters. i do quite a bit of driving with my putters, i know on one course near me they'll get used 8-10 times off the tee. others maybe 4-5. any comments on how the firms break in? will they get more turn than the opto over time?

would just like to be able to go from opto pure and zero hard pure down to one mold for driving/putting. if it doesn't seem feasible then there's no point.

and no, i don't want to use a wizard. :p not very comfy, and while the variation may allow me to use that one mold . . . i don't like variation.

Brand new and for months to come there is no turn, just straight goodness and subtle fade if you give it air. Firm is my favorite, if it starts to beat in I just give it a hot water treatment and its like new again. It took a few months before it will start turning, got mine from the birdie bash but didn't throw it(had two players packs) until after I dyed it. I like my turning ridge though, use it more than my summit, its a medium I've had for two years.

The thing cruises, and seems a teeny bit more stable than the prototype.

All three of mine are great. You need a little space for them to turn and flex back, but if you've got the airspace, this disc will likely go farther than any other you own.

Versus the opto pure, the pure got better distance but more turn, throwing both to 300 the ridge almost drops out of the sky, the pure glides down. More distance potential that Ill sacrifice for accuracy and a sit.

agreed. and thanks for the info! i'm trying to separate my mids from my putters a bit, but we'll have to see. 300 is usually my top end for putter drives so that's a good distance to have flight info on. i'll take her out for some field work tomorrow and pit it against the opto. my ridge is 171g. hopefully 4 grams won't make a difference for turn. :)

@Talbot

sounds like your go to is the VP. Have you throw the ridge? What did you think?

I have two Ridges in my bag along with my two VPs and two Summits. The Ridge is pretty much a straight disc for me. I do like throwing straight elevator shots with my Summits though. The VP is just so stinking predictable, even in wind that I can count on it for upshots. I like the Ridge for off the tee if I need something straight for the most part or if I need a tad bit more distance that I can't get out of my VP. It is all situational. Most of my really funky shots that are typically get out of trouble shots are done with the VP.

So finally got to take my unlace out again. It had almost been a week since I was able to throw the disc. The only problem was the flight path was horrible today. My first review was pure love for this disc. All it did was sit on a shelf the whole week while training in the field. When I went out it was a totally different disc though. I looked at the dome and it didnt seem warped but it is flying like it is. So I am gonna try to place it upside down in the garage to see if that helps. I hope I can get this disc back to the way it was the first day. Although now that I think all my vibram disc seem to act up from time to time. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong here.
When that sort of thing happens for me, I just assume my throwing is off, not that the disc(s) has somehow changed flight properties.

When that sort of thing happens for me, I just assume my throwing is off, not that the disc(s) has somehow changed flight properties.

So I thought it was me at first. So I started throwing all my drivers to make sure. Sure enough the others were flying just fine, so I am pretty sure it's the disc.

So I thought it was me at first. So I started throwing all my drivers to make sure. Sure enough the others were flying just fine, so I am pretty sure it's the disc.
I'd still contend it's you, not the disc.

This isn't a dig on you, but you started a little over a month ago, according to your post history. It's unlikely you know enough about your own mechanics, and whether they're on or off, to really speak to whether it's you or the disc. Please, don't take that as an insult. I think most people go through this when they start, I sure did. I have friends who've played a year or more and are still trying to blame the disc after a couple bad throws. Maybe the unLace is just squirrelly for you...not every disc works for every player. But, if it was great one day, then sat in the garage, then was crap, it's you, not the disc.

[edit] - As an example, I threw my Lace during a round last Sunday for most of my drives, even a lot of second shots (really long course...600-800ft holes). I was throwing it really well...some turn, predicatable fade. I threw it again on Tuesday and it was a turnover machine, but everything else was flying as I'd anticipate. I know I tend to turn my Lace over if I'm a little off, so I knew I should just keep the Lace in the bag, because I was apparently off on Tuesday.

Last edited:
I'd still contend it's you, not the disc.

This isn't a dig on you, but you started a little over a month ago, according to your post history. It's unlikely you know enough about your own mechanics, and whether they're on or off, to really speak to whether it's you or the disc. Please, don't take that as an insult. I think most people go through this when they start, I sure did. I have friends who've played a year or more and are still trying to blame the disc after a couple bad throws. Maybe the unLace is just squirrelly for you...not every disc works for every player. But, if it was great one day, then sat in the garage, then was crap, it's you, not the disc.

[edit] - As an example, I threw my Lace during a round last Sunday for most of my drives, even a lot of second shots (really long course...600-800ft holes). I was throwing it really well...some turn, predicatable fade. I threw it again on Tuesday and it was a turnover machine, but everything else was flying as I'd anticipate. I know I tend to turn my Lace over if I'm a little off, so I knew I should just keep the Lace in the bag, because I was apparently off on Tuesday.

Right on and you're probably right no insult taken at all. Hopefully I get off early enough to throw it some more and get better results.