• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

May have to change courses for the Birdie Bash we have Pending. I just noticed the discs available changed to Fairway drivers instead of all discs available as of March 2015 in the choice of discs to use.
Some of the holes we were going to use would be a stretch for newer players using an Ascent, Trak, or the new disc. It is one thing to offer a Lace or O-lace and putter, but to reduce the discs to Fairways could make the event a bit more frustrating for newer players.

May have to change courses for the Birdie Bash we have Pending. I just noticed the discs available changed to Fairway drivers instead of all discs available as of March 2015 in the choice of discs to use.
Some of the holes we were going to use would be a stretch for newer players using an Ascent, Trak, or the new disc. It is one thing to offer a Lace or O-lace and putter, but to reduce the discs to Fairways could make the event a bit more frustrating for newer players.

It could, but do you normally tell newbies to pick out a fast driver first thing? I usually don't...Something slower (Fairway Drivers or Midrange) might be easier to control for newcomers. Plus Vibram doesn't have a massively overstable fairway driver which tends to be harder for new players to throw. I'll be a TD again this year, so I'll let you know how things work out. Plus most Birdie Bashes have shorten holes, not mandatory but most do.

That's why I do mine at Cumberland Green which is the shortest course around for many miles. I'm already shortening some holes for the Juniors...Might do the same for the Women but I also don't want to insult them.

Is it just speculation that the new fairway will be a more understable disc? I was kind of hoping for a more overstable Ascent. The TD section of the BB site does say "new fairway drivers" so maybe an OS and an US?

I was kind of hoping for a more overstable Ascent. The TD section of the BB site does say "new fairway drivers" so maybe an OS and an US?

I'm with you in hoping for a more overstable Ascent. And I agree that it does say "drivers" plural. Keep them fingers crossed.

Just set up a temp teepad. On the course I use for the Birdie Bash, none of the holes use the regular teepad.

Just set up a temp teepad. On the course I use for the Birdie Bash, none of the holes use the regular teepad.
I'm unfamiliar with the course of which you speak, but my two cents.
Either move the teepads, OR change the par to 4 or even 5.

That's why I do mine at Cumberland Green which is the shortest course around for many miles. I'm already shortening some holes for the Juniors...Might do the same for the Women but I also don't want to insult them.

Is it just speculation that the new fairway will be a more understable disc? I was kind of hoping for a more overstable Ascent. The TD section of the BB site does say "new fairway drivers" so maybe an OS and an US?

:popcorn:

Would the unLace be a good first driver or driver for a beginner? I'm thinking about buying one for rolling or for drives that I need to finish right (RHBH) and I am aware of its super understability, but seeing as it has a wide rim, would it make a good driver to loan out to newbies who tag along?

Would the unLace be a good first driver or driver for a beginner? I'm thinking about buying one for rolling or for drives that I need to finish right (RHBH) and I am aware of its super understability, but seeing as it has a wide rim, would it make a good driver to loan out to newbies who tag along?

From what I've seen the unLace doesn't net extra D or otherwise benefits those who don't throw as far. I think you need to have some knowledge of technique and at least push past 300' before you might gain D with the unLace. So I don't think it'd be useful for beginners.

It's an excellent roller, but depending on how far you throw might not be useful for much else. I push Laces to 375'/400' and the unLace is uncomfortably understable for me.

I have one, and when you hit it just right it bombs - unfortunately, for me that was about every 5th shot, and I would call myself intermediate.

A lot can go wrong with the Unlace if your form is flawed, turning over being the most common. 4/5 throws, the Trak would go further.

I have one, and when you hit it just right it bombs - unfortunately, for me that was about every 5th shot, and I would call myself intermediate.

A lot can go wrong with the Unlace if your form is flawed, turning over being the most common. 4/5 throws, the Trak would go further.
I would agree with this. The unLace can do some cool stuff, but I wouldn't suggest putting something like that in the hands of a beginner. It's not a very predictable disc unless you want to throw rollers or big annys.

Thanks. I plan on buying one specifically as a roller, but I was curious as to its other uses. Also, can anyone tell me how overstable an ascent is?

Thanks. I plan on buying one specifically as a roller, but I was curious as to its other uses. Also, can anyone tell me how overstable an ascent is?

My Ascent is as overstable as the numbers show (-3 HST/+52LSF/Net 49% per Inbounds).
I cannot turn it over; it is pure beef!

Steve, are there plans to have a Xlink between soft and medium? I finally got to throw a medium today (it was right around 34) and it was still pretty floppy while the mediums were still quite hard. Something between that would be amazing for all around weather.

I have a Ascent M and that thing is pure OS as well. Its very, very flat and quite honestly, I can only see it getting work on a windy day.

Depends on the run. The Ascent is the one disc that has 'evolved' since it was released. I don't remember the tooling that indicates which run is more OS...somebody around here has that info though. I've had 2, one was crazy OS and the other was a dead straight flyer.

I remember playing my first Birdie Bash with one - lots of shots required a staight or right to left approach, and as a LHBH thrower, I lost big - it is my Banshee - straight with big fade at the end.

I've rescued mine out of deep water a few times because i like it so much :D

Anyone know where to find flat Soles?

I have like 12 soles, and 1, and only 1, is much flatter than all the rest - almost sunken top, and it is by far my favorite. I wish I knew where to get more, I'd buy like 5.

I remember MSt had a bunch of ones they called 'sunken top' soles but they were all 150 class, mine is 173, medium, with no tooling.

If anyone has info I would appreciate it. Was it just one run or something?