• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

VisionQuest DGC

I've been lurking without an account on DGCR for years. Before we even Tee'd off when we played VisionQuest, Mike the owner asked if we would leave a review on DGCR when we were done. No promises made, no shenanigans. He actually has made changes to the course based on the feedback from some of the reviews...which is awesome. So, I created an account, gave it a 5 star review...which it most definitely deserves, and continued to give ratings to the other courses I played this year.

Good marketing, good suggestion box. Win Win for the players and the owner.

That's pretty cool! I didn't really think of that... *Closes Thread* ;)

This coming from of a 16 year old. There's so much that can be said about this 'revelation' of yours. I'll let your words speak for themselves.
I'm going to be honest - if you didn't attend to be unnecessarily abrasive (or to be a 'dick' in the parlance of our wonderful times) - well, you sure sound it for all intents and purposes. If you weren't being needlessly rude, well - I'm curious what you meant that wasn't... but it looks like age-shaming him for realizing how he may have been wrong.

I'm going to be honest - if you didn't attend to be unnecessarily abrasive (or to be a 'dick' in the parlance of our wonderful times) - well, you sure sound it for all intents and purposes. If you weren't being needlessly rude, well - I'm curious what you meant that wasn't... but it looks like age-shaming him for realizing how he may have been wrong.

Touche coming from you and your other thread you started.

But, I guess I'll need to explain it to you anyways. Who would have thought a teenager would think they knew it all, only to be enlightened by having a dialog with others?

P.S. You're a little late to the party with your response anyways. But thanks for the support :thmbup:

Necro bump

I finally made it out here.

I have to say based on all the talk on here about VQ being gimmicky and whatnot, I was coming in with low-ish expectations (low for a world-class course at least).

That was dumb - my expectations were shattered. I love this place. It's my new favorite in the Cities I think.

I loved all the water shots - I don't get the complaints, really. Everything seemed fair to me. One OB that's in the like the middle of a fairway was...odd. But the rest were fine.

Definitely plan on going back already - I want to play the 36 hole par 2 when it's done.

To each their own, I guess. I HATED VisionQuest. It's probably the largest disparity between personal enjoyment and DGCR rating of all the courses I've played. It didn't help that I was shooting really poorly that day, either...

To each their own, I guess. I HATED VisionQuest. It's probably the largest disparity between personal enjoyment and DGCR rating of all the courses I've played. It didn't help that I was shooting really poorly that day, either...

When did you play it?
I think it has come a long way since it was originally opened.

Have to say I was a little bit underwhelmed playing it. Having come directly from BRP, and expecting something close due to proximity and Top 10 rating, I was not blown away by the course itself. Had some fun holes, the carts were a much needed bonus and it had some creative tee shots. Not really disappointed by any means, just not blown away like I usually am with some of the top rated courses on this site. Still enjoyed the course and glad we got a chance to play it but I am not sure it deserves to be rated so highly compared to some other top courses I have played. As the old saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

its not "great" dg and the price tag to boot i can think of plenty of courses i would rather play that are free around the tc or stc area

to each their own ill gladly pass on this course i was there once and have no desire to go back the only replay value it had was "well i dropped $10 on this so i feel obligated to play it at least twice"

I thought it was more consistently fun than BRP, all due respect to BRP. Every time I play there I get to some hole and think "Oh, across the field again?".

And the rest of VQ was amazing. Paddle boarding around for discs, goats following us through the course, great camping, great people, carts.

Also on the plus side, my wife really likes to play from the blue tees.

Also on the plus side, my wife really likes to play from the blue tees.

A guy there (named Guy, I think) said they will have the 36 hole course done relatively soon - each hole will have a basket before the blue tee, so you play red/black to that one, then blue tee to the regular basket. It's done through 8 or 9 holes right now. Seems like it will be a fun way to warm up next time I am there.

In general I don't like OB, but OB in the woods is particularly dumb. I also like my frisbees and so I don't see the water and swamps as positives. A few neat holes, but also some goofy designs on other holes. VQ looks neat, but the actual experience of throwing discs at VQ I find overall not fun and I don't think it makes for good disc golf.

In general I don't like OB, but OB in the woods is particularly dumb. I also like my frisbees and so I don't see the water and swamps as positives. A few neat holes, but also some goofy designs on other holes. VQ looks neat, but the actual experience of throwing discs at VQ I find overall not fun and I don't think it makes for good disc golf.

I agree and disagree with you at the same time.

Agree - I hate losing discs as well, and in most cases, if your disc goes in the water, you are not getting it back. Obviously the water pits were dug deep enough so the water level stays consistent, but that means no retrieving discs unless you are right off the shoreline. I also agree that many of the holes seem unique to VQ in comparison to most other courses, especially in Minnesota, and only in the middle holes from 6 to 13 does it feel like traditional disc golf. You go from gimmicky to regular back to gimmicky to finish out the round, and it almost feels like playing too different courses; you definitely have to use two different mindsets.

Disagree - Those traditional holes, from 6-13, make the rest of the course viable, and it is those holes with unique challenges that I feel are great for the sport in general. The biggest complaint I have seen out of professional courses played for the biggest tournaments are that they are long and open, not only to challenge the big arms into throwing as far as they can as accurately as they can, but so that they are easy to film. Tight, technical courses are a nightmare to film, and I am sure pros hate to hit trees even more so than ams (because we do it so often already). And yet, open, long, and or open long holes with hazards are legitimate challenges because this sport should not be solely about hitting tight lines in the woods. You should know how to hit tight landing zones when you have to deal with wind and or elevation changes. Sometimes, and I think this is where the gripe about VQ comes from, is that it is more difficult to hitting small landing zones when you do not have obstacles to frame your needed line.

If the whole course was like Holes 3-5 and 14-18, I can understand everyone being frustrated, but in reality it is less than half the course. How often do you find all the possible challenges we can face when throwing in one round? I do not blame VQ, in fact welcome it, because most Minnesota courses lack elevation and related hazards. Look at BRP - they had to manufacture high tee boxes to get any elevation. And other courses like Kaposia, Kenwood, The Valley, and to a lesser extend Bryant and Lakewood, have so little elevation that the one or two holes where they have something, they are considered marquee holes.

Recently I have been spoiled by playing a lot of Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, and Illinois courses, and those courses put most of our Minnesota courses to shame simply because they luckily and naturally have elevation that can be incorporated into open and wooded holes to the point where the whole course is filled with marquee holes, not just one or two. The closest thing I can think of in Minnesota would be the two courses in Mora.

Then again, to be fair, of all the times I have played VQ, I have walked away only losing one disc. If anything, I look forward to playing Hole 3 because I am dead-set on hitting that gap (I am 50/50), 15 because my Verdict is the perfect disc for that island and I have struck metal three times now, and 18 because at my power level I have little trouble making it across and in a position to get a routine three. Do not get me wrong, I have been OB more times I can count, but I am willing to admit that walking away without losing discs does help to not sour my opinion of the course.

Scott,

The Valley and Kenwood and Kaposia all have pretty significant elevation. No Top of the mountain shots, but almost every hole on both those courses is either uphill or downhill.

When originally designing Kenwood Trails, I was looking at the topo map and the net elevation difference between the lowest spot midway on hole 5 and the blue basket on 13 was about the same elevation difference between the tee and pin on 18 at Hyland Hills. Kenwood just has the up and down in smaller chunks.

Maybe I'm strange. I usually like OB as long as its fair, which I thought most of VQ was. Just that one in the fairway that I didnt understand. And I love water carries, so that makes me love the end of VQ.

I live 30 min away and can't remember last time i played here. Hype city.

Gimme some becker or hidden lake for free. Hell id pay 10 for either if same kind of private feel. Dont need the fluff.