• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Warlock??

got to play two rounds with the warlock today and I must say Im very suprised how much I liked it. It may look like an aviar p+a but its definitly more stable. It was a very calm day so I cant say how wind will affect it but by halfway through the day I found myself reaching for it on almost every putt. I think its definitly going to have a spot in my bag for long putts.

So the good news is that I played a round of 27 today and got some extensive testing of my Warlock in. The bad news is, I wasn't planning to use it that much, but I lost my beat Wizard on hole 6...

So I have to say, not a good replacement for a beat Wizard. I do like the Warlock (although it was a bit more stable than I expected) and I was able to use it a lot. The high speed turn was better than expected, but it faded a lot more than I expected, too. A Wizard will fly straight and then kinda drop off at the end like a Teebird, but the Warlock started fading earlier and was a gradual curve. It's an okay disc, and I will use it together with my newish Wiz until I get my beat one back or beat in another. So yeah, it's no replacement.

(Btw, I know where my Wizard is, but it went down this drop off that was a solid sheet of ice. It's somewhere down there, I just couldn't get down to get it. The sun was melting it pretty good today though, and it was mostly slush by the time i finished up this afternoon. I'm heading out both tomorrow and Monday so I will find it...mark my words.)

Nope, hole 6. Just skipped over the edge of the hill on the right hand side, but with the ice it just kept going...

Well I got my 2 wizards in today.
Went out and thew three rounds with some buds.
My normal putters in my bag are my Proto Wizard, the chalky one, I beleive its Soft..And I have a JK Aviar X. Ive been using the Wizard for about 90% of my putts. I only pull out the Aviar when i want a soft layup, or dont want it to kick too much from a missed putt. Its really soft, so it'll absorb way more than the wizard. But the wizard holds the line way longer.

THe edge looks EXACTLY Like a Star Aviar, the only difference is the plastic and the grippy feel. But I'd still prefer to use the Warlock cuz its not so gummy. For my upshots, I'd prefer the stiffness of the Lock anyways.

So my review. I now carry both the wizard and the aviar like before, but I put the warlock in one of my normal bag slots. So I dont really conisder it one of my putters. I didn't really like putting with it too much, Unless it was a loft putt where I'd aim high and let it glide down, so that it wasnt like my normal line drive wizard putts.
In a nutshell, I feel that Im going the route most ppl are going. Keeping a wizard for putts under 30 feet. And anything over I pull out the Warlock. I REALLLY liked the Warlock because i found that it had a verrrrrrry light fade. I threw it on several short holes, im talking 150 feet, and 180. I could throw it straight and high and instead of fading off to the left and turning overstable, it kind of just dropped and glided down. I really liked that, I didnt have to worry about it diving left and skipping. Just kinda fell down and layed itself down.

I dont really drive with my wizards, so I didnt really try to do many drives with my warlock. But i did pull it out for a few trials. I find that its a little more understable than my Wizard. But then again thats when i really power it. When I pulled it out to drive with it, I really tried to finess it and not overdo it and turn it over.

Overall consensus, Warlock has found a permanent place in my bag as a GREAT approach disc. I think i'll end up doing 70-80% of my up-shots with my Warlock. I think I'll still do all my shorter putting from 20-30ft with the wizard. Then again after I get comfortable with the flight of the Warlock, I might use the wizard for anything from 0-20, and Lock for 20+. Oh, and i really like the plastic. Its already beating in pretty nice, and still got the nice grip.

speaking of fingers there Justin...Has anyone had a problem with the knuckle on their wring finger (throwing hand)? I can not get a solid grip anymore, because I can't extend my finger toward the palm. Not playing is not an option

Here's my quick amatuer opinion of the Warlock. I ordered 3 soft Warlocks. For starters, they are much softer and gripper than any supersoft Wizard I've ever handled. I love the feel of the new plastic...whatever it is. Similar density and firmess to the Evo plastic, but gummy and not slick. I was playing a short course today...and rarely use putters as drivers anyhow, but did throw the Warlock on a few tees. It was definately understable from the tee, for me anyhow. But as a putter, I'd have to say it was way too overstable for my tastes. It tunrs hard left for me when putting. My Wizards are all more stable in the shorter slower flights. I played 27 holes, and rotated 2 Warlocks the entire time. They are showing wear....with many nicks and scrapes. The rims have very visable wear....but this is a very rocky course. I'd say the plastic is not much more durable than DX or Pro D...but feels better. It does stick quite well to the chains. I had a couple of putts that should have popped ou, but they stuck. These things will break in fast. But for my putting duties, the Wizard will probably stay in the "putter pocket" a bit longer. I don't like the left turn the Warlocks make. I'll get more time with them in the backyard tomorrow....and will post if my opinion changes.

Simplified results:

High speed, drives: understable

Putting: very overstable

Plastic_soft version, tacky and grippy, but soft....definately softer than my SS Wizard.

FYI - the Warlock has a thicker rim than the Pro Aviars -- dunno if all the aviars are the same or not.

The Warlock feels pretty good in the hand - nice and firm - just like a wizard only without the bead and less stable.

Driving is pretty good. I imagine if you're throwing putters 200+, then you'd need some air under a warlock to keep it up. For 100-200' though, it'll go pretty straight with a few degrees of hyzer.

Nice disc.

BHW said:
I thought the lack of a bead made a disc less overstable than that of a disc of similar characteristics with a bead?

Anyone else have similar/different results?

ferretdance03 said:
BHW said:
I thought the lack of a bead made a disc less overstable than that of a disc of similar characteristics with a bead?

That's what I heard/thought when I ordered them. But today, in side by side putting comparisons, the Warlock definately favored a left turn heading towards the basket...or more importanly, to the left of the basket. I practiced putting for about 30 minutes waiting for my partner to show up today. I threw Wizards and Warlocks, same weights, side by side. Wizard goes almost directly straight from 20-40ft...the Warlock would fade left from that same distance. I don't know why, just reporting what happened. I'll have more time tomorrow to throw at my basket in the backyard. Like I said earlier, I'll report my findings if they change.

in my findings the warlock is definitely less stable than the wizard. However, it's not like the warlock is understable from 20 feet. It's more stable than a magnet.

ferretdance03 said:

My Warlock is not at all broken in (only played one round with it before the snow and am trying to not throw white discs in the snow.) Mine is a glow, and a little lighter - 172g - but it is pretty straight with a touch of fade.

Spent a good deal of time driving both wizards and warlocks today. With about 15' of height, they both went 220-250 dead nuts straight. Warlocks had almost no fade and are brand new. Warlocks held an anhyzer much better as well as a gentle turnover line. They were more controllable than flippy and held a nice straight flight path when hyzer flipped. I didn't putt with them, but after a day at the park practicing tunnel shots, they definitely are the complement to the wizard I hoped they would be. Hopefully they take as long as a wizard to break in as I wouldn't mind them losing a little fade, but they can't stand to lose much hss.

if i ever (which i dont plan on) loose my 1.5 year old beat to heck and back wizard I may try a warlock. But thats not going to happen, the disc if its not hitting chains is always right under the pin.

I got to throw some putts out back with my Warlock today, at the same time as wizards. Warlock for me has a tendency to break a tiny bit right at the end. Easy adjustment to account for that, tho. Me likey!
Only concern is I had a couple of bee bee size chunks come out from skipping off of a wooden fence. White S plastic mix seems a little less durable than my older wizards. Anyone else notice this?

I was skimming this thread and I didn't see anyone mention the smell...I got a red warlock and it smells like cherries. Very odd. The red cherry smelling plastic is super grippy too, I don't even know how to cpmpare it. It kinda felt like I had gotten pine tar on my hand from a tree and wasn't quite able to wash it all off. Just the perfect level of stickiness.

I just got back from my first round played with the Warlock. I agree that it's not too flippy, nice and straight unless you throw it anhyser. It definately holds an anny line longer than my Wizards, and it's a nice smooth line too. At approach and driving speeds. From inside the circle it putts very much like a Wizard. It will definately stay in the bag. The plastic of my Warlocks also smelled like cherries and is softer than other S plastic. Feels like a mix of S and SS or something new. I like it, but mine did get torn up a bit on the course today. We'll see what happens.
If the Warlock and the 1080 Radius (Made by Gateway for Revolution) are similiar enough I might get one of those too in each plastic. Can never have putters, right?

I mentioned the "wear" in my post too. I rotated two Warlocks on the course the other day, and for some putting practice. They show a considerable amount of wear for one days' use. They have nicks and chips all around the rim. They will surely "break in" fast.....not sure how that's going to affect them. But at this rate, these things will be "worn down" in no time. Might not be a good thing. I have the soft Warlocks....and the plastic is very grippy....not a smooth shiney surface at all. I like that part. I just wish they didn't turn so hard left for slower speed putts. Mine are too overstable for putting.

I have the stiffer plastic warlock and after a round of putting and approaching it's still in fine shape.

Also, from about 20' out I didn't see any stability at all. From 50+ it would fade, but I considered that a good thing since I'd be able to rely on it.

Don't know if it's the plastic or our putting styles that make a difference (or a combo).

BHW said:
I mentioned the "wear" in my post too. I rotated two Warlocks on the course the other day, and for some putting practice. They show a considerable amount of wear for one days' use. They have nicks and chips all around the rim. They will surely "break in" fast.....not sure how that's going to affect them. But at this rate, these things will be "worn down" in no time. Might not be a good thing. I have the soft Warlocks....and the plastic is very grippy....not a smooth shiney surface at all. I like that part. I just wish they didn't turn so hard left for slower speed putts. Mine are too overstable for putting.

They are just like Wizards in that they break in real fast at first and after about a week they stop and stay that way for a long time.