• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What are the best throwing putters of all time?

What is the best throwing putter of all time?

• Wizard

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Aviar

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Big Bead Aviar

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Luna

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Envy

Votes: 53 30.1%
  • Proxy

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Jokeri

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Judge

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Crown

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rhyno

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Scale

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Pure

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Other(write in the comments)

Votes: 32 18.2%

• Total voters
The wizard and the pure gotta be the choices, hands down market changing disc's on what a throwing putter was capable of doing. Both massively popular and have spawned many clones. One golfers opinion tho.

Gotta say, a poll like this says moire about the OP's opinions than it does about great throwing putters. Pretty limited choices there.

Sinus, Whale, and Challenger are some of my faves. What's a guy to do?

Gotta say, a poll like this says moire about the OP's opinions than it does about great throwing putters. Pretty limited choices there.

Sinus, Whale, and Challenger are some of my faves. What's a guy to do?
It might not be the OP's opinions.

Myself for example, I drive with Warlocks. I'll go to my grave swearing that out of the box, Wizards and Warlock fly identically. Wawrlocks beat in more quickly, but out of the box they are just as stable as a Wizard. So IMO if I did this poll I could justify putting Warlocks on and leaving Wizards off due to my belief.

Nobody believes me and not having the Wizard on this poll would be stupid, though. Adding the Warlock would just be so it could get my one vote. So in reality if I had made this poll, the Wizard would be on it. It would be less about my opinion and more about what I know about the groupthink hivemind of disc golfers.

In your case, I'm sorry but no one throws the Whale. The Sinus has a little niche, but it's little. The groupthink hivemind is never going to select them, and the OP probably knows that.

The Challenger I think we have talked about and I made a pitch for it to be included, but I can totally see where most people would want to see the Luna in this sort of challenge; it's the super-hype cool kid hipster putter McPro Aviar replacement. Everybody wants to see if come up short.

BTW, does anyone throw the Tour Series Aviar now that it's not a McPro? The rise and fall of the McPro/Tour Series Aviar is kinda a fun to talk about.

I got into throwing the Ringer GT because of the Rhyno, so I voted for the Rhyno as well as "other" but I do prefer the Ringer GT slightly. It's my putter as well as my go-to backhand disc for most throws under 200 feet

BTW, does anyone throw the Tour Series Aviar now that it's not a McPro? The rise and fall of the McPro/Tour Series Aviar is kinda a fun to talk about.

I have thought the McPro Aviar was just the KC pro Aviar renamed. Do you think they're different?

The Challenger I think we have talked about and I made a pitch for it to be included, but I can totally see where most people would want to see the Luna in this sort of challenge; it's the super-hype cool kid hipster putter McPro Aviar replacement.

I long for the days of Cam Todd and Bobby Hill rocking their Challys. For a while the Challenger was THE putter, and the Drone was THE midrange. Do people even throw drones anymore? Do people still say "BE A DRONE" when they need a shot to hook up?

It might not be the OP's opinions.

Myself for example, I drive with Warlocks. I'll go to my grave swearing that out of the box, Wizards and Warlock fly identically. Wawrlocks beat in more quickly, but out of the box they are just as stable as a Wizard. So IMO if I did this poll I could justify putting Warlocks on and leaving Wizards off due to my belief.

Nobody believes me and not having the Wizard on this poll would be stupid, though. Adding the Warlock would just be so it could get my one vote. So in reality if I had made this poll, the Wizard would be on it. It would be less about my opinion and more about what I know about the groupthink hivemind of disc golfers.

In your case, I'm sorry but no one throws the Whale. The Sinus has a little niche, but it's little. The groupthink hivemind is never going to select them, and the OP probably knows that.

The Challenger I think we have talked about and I made a pitch for it to be included, but I can totally see where most people would want to see the Luna in this sort of challenge; it's the super-hype cool kid hipster putter McPro Aviar replacement. Everybody wants to see if come up short.

Some are definitely my opinion, Scale probs wouldn't be on there if is was 100% objective. The majority though are ones I see come up in the forums all the time, thrown on the course, and get good reviews.

Probably should have thrown on the P2 and the PA1 or PA3 but no one is perfect.

I long for the days of Cam Todd and Bobby Hill rocking their Challys. For a while the Challenger was THE putter, and the Drone was THE midrange. Do people even throw drones anymore? Do people still say "BE A DRONE" when they need a shot to hook up?
I mean guys who can crush can throw whatever. Back in the day there was a story about Scott Stokely and Craig Leyva mashing putter throws over a river with a 500' carry bank to bank; Stokely was Discraft-sponsored bombing Magnets, Leyva was an Innova guy mashing Aviars. Nobody has mentioned the Magnet in this thread, but Stokely could mash one.

People used to call Leyva "The Leyviar" because he could just crush an Aviar. We used to call Dave McCormack "The Daviar" back in the day because before he started Gateway he used to crush Aviars; we held a long drive contest at a B-tier one year with a good turnout. Ron Russell was there. Scott Martin was there. George Smith was there. Harold Hampton was there. Juliana Bower was there. I forget if Dave won or not, but if he didn't he was close and everybody was talking about it because he was throwing an Aviar. :| Despite that, I'm pretty sure the longest I ever saw an Aviar travel was a drive Sam Ferrans made.

Folks that can crush can just crush; it's cool to see it when what they are crushing is a putter. It's the archer, though. The arrow could be anything.

I didn't put either on the poll, but has anyone tried the Yikun Gui or Discmania Sensei? They fly a lot like an Envy with the shoulder being just a tiny bit lower.

Pretty sure the Sensei is just the Gui mold with the textured panels on bottom removed.

For 4-5 years it was my Proxy - FH/BH, tight lines or sweeping hyzers, didn't matter. It caught a root, got on edge and rolled off into deep murky water about 6 months ago. I bought a couple diff proxys but neither plastic seemed to have the same stability, maybe something about them changed since 2014, who knows, but I pulled an Envy out of the closet that I forgot about for who knows how long. It has that same dependable flight and can take more torque than my old Proxy could - doesn't flip flat for distance but will stay on the line and get sneaky long sometimes.
As for the others, anything over 6 years old I've already tried out as driving putter but it didn't make the bag.

I mean guys who can crush can throw whatever. Back in the day there was a story about Scott Stokely and Craig Leyva mashing putter throws over a river with a 500' carry bank to bank; Stokely was Discraft-sponsored bombing Magnets, Leyva was an Innova guy mashing Aviars. Nobody has mentioned the Magnet in this thread, but Stokely could mash one.

People used to call Leyva "The Leyviar" because he could just crush an Aviar. We used to call Dave McCormack "The Daviar" back in the day because before he started Gateway he used to crush Aviars; we held a long drive contest at a B-tier one year with a good turnout. Ron Russell was there. Scott Martin was there. George Smith was there. Harold Hampton was there. Juliana Bower was there. I forget if Dave won or not, but if he didn't he was close and everybody was talking about it because he was throwing an Aviar. :| Despite that, I'm pretty sure the longest I ever saw an Aviar travel was a drive Sam Ferrans made.

Folks that can crush can just crush; it's cool to see it when what they are crushing is a putter. It's the archer, though. The arrow could be anything.

Distance isn't everything with throwing putters. Reliability is also key. Just like distance drivers, just because you can throw it super far doesn't make it a workhorse...
It's a balance of accuracy, distance, comfort, and shape-ability.

Distance isn't everything with throwing putters. Reliability is also key. Just like distance drivers, just because you can throw it super far doesn't make it a workhorse...
It's a balance of accuracy, distance, comfort, and shape-ability.

Distance counts a lot for me. I want either a bomber or a distance lowering disc. Like the Berg or Tank. Or a champion polecat. Those discs slow down right out of the hand and are very useful on short holes.

The putter that get me into trouble are the typical aviar/magnet type ones. I get tempted to mash on them for a 280' hole and things get crazy.

Distance counts a lot for me. I want either a bomber or a distance lowering disc. Like the Berg or Tank. Or a champion polecat. Those discs slow down right out of the hand and are very useful on short holes.

The putter that get me into trouble are the typical aviar/magnet type ones. I get tempted to mash on them for a 280' hole and things get crazy.

Distance in drivers, sure. Distance in Putters to me is not the most important. I'll take feel and accuracy over an extra 20-30 feet any day.

Distance in drivers, sure. Distance in Putters to me is not the most important. I'll take feel and accuracy over an extra 20-30 feet any day.

Think of it this way. If your course has a bunch of 200' holes, yeah distance doesn't matter at all, you can throw your bag that far. But if your course has a bunch of 270' holes it makes a huge difference. If I range an Aviar at 250' reliably, that puts me out of the circle on my average drive, meaning I need to push it and risk inaccuracy. Adding 20'/30' really makes that a more comfortable shot.

Your ranges may vary. I bag Rocs and range them down to about 290'. Under that I am throwing putter. If you range your mids down below that 290' then you can afford a putter with less max ranges. I am playing around with Kaxes, and that pushes my range up vs. the Rocs, meaning I will need putters that can range up and cover the missing ground. Part of the reason I DON'T bag the Kaxes is because I can't find a putter I reliably range at 300'.

I was a long time Wizard thrower than converted to Reko's around a year ago. K1's provide all the distance and stability my dinky arm requires and the K3's beat into a phenomenal straight to understable driver for wooded holes.

Really surprised by the lack of Pure love...used to be a DGCR favorite. I voted Wizard though.

No love for the Dart.... in Rpro. Grippy consistent somewhat stable out of the box. beats in nice getting understable but retains its finish. I am very sad i lost mine a few weeks ago.

Latest posts