• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What are the best throwing putters of all time?

What is the best throwing putter of all time?

• Wizard

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Aviar

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Big Bead Aviar

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Luna

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Envy

Votes: 53 30.1%
  • Proxy

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Jokeri

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Judge

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Crown

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rhyno

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Scale

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Pure

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Other(write in the comments)

Votes: 32 18.2%

• Total voters
1 of those was for the ION and it can hold a beautiful anny line. But you have to activate the gyro so it's not for every thrower.

I think the Ion is great. I just found it had a little less glide and workability than my Wizards. I threw them a long time tho.

I can make a firebird anny BUT thats not the point.

Again...no finesse....i have made an Envy hold an anny but you have to throw it really high at a hard anny angle.

Envy is not a neutral disc. It is a moderately overstable mold. At slower speeds it has no glide or finesse.

A ION is a better driving putter than an Envy.

(The Ion almost mimicks the Wizard But i feel the Ion doesnt glide as well)

Not sure why your definition of "best throwing putter" is synonymous with "able to be hyzerflipped," but whatever. To each their own I guess. To me, I consider the Envy the greatest throwing putter because it is unique and consistently does what it is designed to do. It's a Baby Teebird. It has a unique combo of wind resistance, distance potential, rangeability, and comfort for both backhand and flick shots. It's everything I could possibly want in a driving putter. And when I need to hyzerflip, I have a whole stack of beat Judges in my practice basket that can fill that role.

Not sure why your definition of "best throwing putter" is synonymous with "able to be hyzerflipped," but whatever. To each their own I guess. To me, I consider the Envy the greatest throwing putter because it is unique and consistently does what it is designed to do. It's a Baby Teebird. It has a unique combo of wind resistance, distance potential, rangeability, and comfort for both backhand and flick shots. It's everything I could possibly want in a driving putter. And when I need to hyzerflip, I have a whole stack of beat Judges in my practice basket that can fill that role.

Then by your definition the greatest driving putter would be a Stego...i mean , what disc is more unique and consistently does what its designed to do?

Its about what you can do with the disc.. And i think the more a disc does well vs the competition, the better the disc....

Hyzerflip is not my only definition...but the best putter of all time should be able to do everything good....the Envy is limited in its abilities. Which i listed above.

I know lots of people would vote Zone and they would be wrong for the same and various other reasons.

Im thinking all conditions, all lines, handles torque well, handles low speed well, durability, longevity in the game, popularity, sell-ability......

The Envy is a good disc, i threw one for a long time...but best of all time... Hell no

Yes I'm biased as well but the logic above fits my bias...so yeh.. There's that.

Then by your definition the greatest driving putter would be a Stego...i mean , what disc is more unique and consistently does what its designed to do?

Its about what you can do with the disc.. And i think the more a disc does well vs the competition, the better the disc....

Hyzerflip is not my only definition...but the best putter of all time should be able to do everything good....the Envy is limited in its abilities. Which i listed above.

I know lots of people would vote Zone and they would be wrong for the same and various other reasons.

Im thinking all conditions, all lines, handles torque well, handles low speed well, durability, longevity in the game, popularity, sell-ability......

The Envy is a good disc, i threw one for a long time...but best of all time... Hell no

Yes I'm biased as well but the logic above fits my bias...so yeh.. There's that.
So an Electron Envy.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wizard is GOAT

I second since the mold is The original do everything putter mold including use as a putter for those who run putts harder.

The Classic ROC (in limited production Star right now) to me would be this GOAT had the mold had been around fully in production since it came out and not stopped at various times since the mold is older. Very similar feel to the Wizard, just not as rounded on the wing part or as deep a putter.

Then by your definition the greatest driving putter would be a Stego...

Did you miss the part where I talked about distance potential and rangeability, or is a strawman argument just your natural go-to?

Agreed. And Envies are frequently called the ultimate 'one disc round' disc, so thanks for aiding my argument.

the best putter of all time should be able to do everything good....the Envy is limited in its abilities. Which i listed above.

This isn't a discussion of the best all-around putter of all-time, just what putter is the best thrower. I will admit there are many, many discs that I would rather actually putt with than an Envy. But one putter to throw on any hole -- whether open with a stiff wind or tight and wooded; workable both backhand and forehand -- and there just isn't a better single disc than an Envy. Not entirely sure what putter you're claiming is best, but given context I'm assuming you mean Wizard. Which is laughable, because a Wizard is ridiculously uncomfortable for throwing forehands.

One last thing about this statement -- it is impossible for any one disc to "do everything good." If your hypothetical greatest throwing putter is a natural hyzerflip disc, then that means it isn't able to be thrown straight-to-fade into a breeze. There's a reason why people bag more than one disc.

Can't believe I forgot to comment on this beautiful line! Seriously...your criteria for the best putter to throw includes how popular it is and how easy it is to sell? How is that going to help anyone pipe it down a 250' hallway? It's not. Popularity and sales are driven by a litany of factors, not the least of which being whether a big name pro has his name on it. Plus, there are plenty of popular putters that are more commonly used for actually putting rather than throwing, which manipulates sales data relative to throwers.

Calls the Envy a baby teebird, when it is way more over stable than the teebird was ever supposed to be.

Calls it the ultimate one disc round disc, when that is clearly the Roc.

F-

Wizards, forgetaboutit. Best base plastic, best all around thrower that you can actually still putt with. Gateway will even customize bulk putter purchases.

So an Electron Envy.

Or two... + a plasma or eclipse and yeah all shots covered.

Haha what a fun thread!

Used to love me some wizards, rhynos, magic, voodoo, omega, ion, anode, atom... I auditioned them all before I bought a stack of 6 envy. It was closest with the neutron atom.. But I chose wisely since it went oop a year or so later.

BH, FH, OH, premium plastic, long wear, big distance potential, great for putts from 30' in. Always fades and DOT. One disc golf no problem, especially the eclipse day or night! Calm, windy whatever...

I can use an electron soft for straight to anny.. A plasma for straight to fade. Full shot coverage in two plastics.. What more can you possibly want?!

FWIW the Ohm is my second choice.. But that flies like a beat in Envy or a better Proxy

Last edited:
Calls the Envy a baby teebird, when it is way more over stable than the teebird was ever supposed to be.

Calls it the ultimate one disc round disc, when that is clearly the Roc.

F-

We're getting further from the point here, but cherry picking the least stable plastic to say whether discs are similar is a really poor argument. The vast majority of Teebirds in production have a straight flight with forward-penetrating, reliable fade. This is commonly accepted as a Teebird flight. If you don't believe me, then look up any of the litany of threads asking for a Teebird equivalent.

Also, Rocs are horrible forehand discs. I have owned only three molds that I could not for the life of me flick: Wizard, Roc, and Dagger. That's it. Everything else can be forehanded in some capacity. If we're talking about worst putters and mids for a one disc round, I'm starting out with the discs that I can only throw backhand.

Or two... + a plasma or eclipse and yeah all shots covered.

Haha what a fun thread!

Used to love me some wizards, rhynos, magic, voodoo, omega, ion, anode, atom... I auditioned them all before I bought a stack of 6 envy. It was closest with the neutron atom.. But I chose wisely since it went oop a year or so later.

BH, FH, OH, premium plastic, long wear, big distance potential, great for putts from 30' in. Always fades and DOT. One disc golf no problem, especially the eclipse day or night! Calm, windy whatever...

I can use an electron soft for straight to anny.. A plasma for straight to fade. Full shot coverage in two plastics.. What more can you possibly want?!

FWIW the Ohm is my second choice.. But that flies like a beat in Envy or a better Proxy
I just started throwing Ohms. Love'em. I played a putter only tournament and the Ohm/Envy was my most used discs. Granted I did pack 4 Envies in different plastics.

Look at all those world championships won using the almighty Envy! Sure wish the Roc had that kind of pedigree, but how would it seeing that it is impossible to forehand??

Wizards, forgetaboutit. Best base plastic, best all around thrower that you can actually still putt with. Gateway will even customize bulk putter purchases.

I wonder how many of the 37 Envy voters actually PUTT with their Envies.

If they dont, they should have to move their vote to the other/Kanye vote option.

Do I smell a flame war coming?

giphy.gif

Latest posts