• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] What are the best throwing putters of all time?

What is the best throwing putter of all time?

• Wizard

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Aviar

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Big Bead Aviar

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • Luna

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Envy

Votes: 53 30.1%
  • Proxy

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • Jokeri

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • Judge

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • Crown

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Rhyno

Votes: 12 6.8%
  • Scale

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Pure

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • Other(write in the comments)

Votes: 32 18.2%

• Total voters
Same here. To me it doesn't even make sense to use premium plastic for putters.

I can but only in hotter temps 90 F + when the plastics like Proline/ESP or Star get more grip to the plastic, and in most temps G-Star I could if I wanted a really soft plastic. Champion/Z type nope for me as even in hotter temps they are slick but a Z Flex I might.

Think of it this way. If your course has a bunch of 200' holes, yeah distance doesn't matter at all, you can throw your bag that far. But if your course has a bunch of 270' holes it makes a huge difference. If I range an Aviar at 250' reliably, that puts me out of the circle on my average drive, meaning I need to push it and risk inaccuracy. Adding 20'/30' really makes that a more comfortable shot.

Your ranges may vary. I bag Rocs and range them down to about 290'. Under that I am throwing putter. If you range your mids down below that 290' then you can afford a putter with less max ranges. I am playing around with Kaxes, and that pushes my range up vs. the Rocs, meaning I will need putters that can range up and cover the missing ground. Part of the reason I DON'T bag the Kaxes is because I can't find a putter I reliably range at 300'.

You're putting yourself in very specific situations here... You're better off throwing a putter that is reliable up to 250, than a squirrelly 270. Also, if you can't hit a 20 foot putt, then you need to work on your putting.

If you can't hit 270 with your putter, then just disc up to a mid.

You're putting yourself in very specific situations here... You're better off throwing a putter that is reliable up to 250, than a squirrelly 270. Also, if you can't hit a 20 foot putt, then you need to work on your putting.

If you can't hit 270 with your putter, then just disc up to a mid.

If your perfect drive is 20' away it means the vast majority will be outside of that based on variance. You need to center your best throw on the pin so the variance gets you that 20' putt.

I like to hit full clubs. I COULD just throw a teebird for anything under 380'. I COULD just throw a Destroyer for any range. Obviously that is sub optimal. Ranging down a mid by 20' is obviously different than ranging down a Destroyer 140', but it is still sub optimal. Especially when I can simply grab a driving putter that is easily ranged an extra 20'. Why settle for long putts just so I can say I threw an Aviar when I can throw a Wizard and be C1 all day long?

banger gt's for life.

I voted other for the Banger GT also. I was never much of a putter thrower until I picked up a JB Banger GT.

I have a cousin (son of the Uncle who got me started into disc golf) who uses the Banger GT for his throwing putter in Soft X and his putting putter in oop soft Pro D and a Jawbreaker for testing last I saw in 2018, his soft Pro D stash were becoming worn out to not able to be used getting fuzzy the way some Soft Pro D gets. He wanted at the time Discraft Wizard in 2003 or a year before in 2002 when he switched his whole bag to Discraft and has used Discraft/DGA ever since.

The poll seems to support that.

Yeh but there is no value in that. I have never, and i mean never , seen anyone hyzerflip an Envy (rhbh) and bend around a right turning hole.

Envy is straight to fade. It cant even produce all shots...has no finesse...

Its the noob/rec driving putter....yup i said it....its the putter you PAIR with the greatest driving putter of all time.

The 31 (other) votes were probably for some other noob OS putter that cant hold an anny.

Yeh but there is no value in that. I have never, and i mean never , seen anyone hyzerflip an Envy (rhbh) and bend around a right turning hole.

Envy is straight to fade. It cant even produce all shots...has no finesse...

Its the noob/rec driving putter....yup i said it....its the putter you PAIR with the greatest driving putter of all time.

The 31 (other) votes were probably for some other noob OS putter that cant hold an anny.
You're acting like a hyper flip is the hardest shot in disc golf. And yes an Envy can hold an anny line when thrown on amd anny line.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Hyzer flipping is rather easy. Hyper flipping seems like something fierce though.

Break in a premium Envy in and it becomes dead straight. Newer envies do have some slight overstability. I'm loving my Proton Envy the most for turnovers. Throw it on a hard anny, and it will eventually pan out to flat because of that slight overstability.

Overall I enjoy the Pilot more as a workhorse throwing Putter though. Flies like an Envy with a little less LSS.

I'll second that... I don't know about full on hyzer flip with an Envy, I can with my soft electrons and hyzer to straight. In fact they beat in to reasonably understable within 3-4 months. I can bend some nice shots but they don't feel very "Envy" anymore.

If I'm throwing an Envy anhyzer it's on an anhyzer release definitely not a hyzer flip! Problem is it will usually fade out if it's a long drive.... and you need a bit of height, a steep angle and a reasonable amount of spin. However it can go deep anhyzer because it fights it's way out, lifting the nose back up to flat....

If your perfect drive is 20' away it means the vast majority will be outside of that based on variance. You need to center your best throw on the pin so the variance gets you that 20' putt.

I like to hit full clubs. I COULD just throw a teebird for anything under 380'. I COULD just throw a Destroyer for any range. Obviously that is sub optimal. Ranging down a mid by 20' is obviously different than ranging down a Destroyer 140', but it is still sub optimal. Especially when I can simply grab a driving putter that is easily ranged an extra 20'. Why settle for long putts just so I can say I threw an Aviar when I can throw a Wizard and be C1 all day long?

I've played with a guy who has that mentality. He has a disc that is just right for every hole on his home course. And he can beat me over half the time playing with that bag of perfect discs if on his home course. But when we go play somewhere new I trounce him by 5+ strokes.

I get the logic in wanting to have a perfect disc for every hole you regularly play, but I think that learning to range your discs is a skill that translates better to playing other courses.

My point is that sure, you can have a putter that will give you the extra 20 feet, but if it's less accurate, what's the point? I'd rather be short 20 feet but be there every time, rather than left/right/long 20+ feet. Distance isn't everything.

I've played with a guy who has that mentality. He has a disc that is just right for every hole on his home course. And he can beat me over half the time playing with that bag of perfect discs if on his home course. But when we go play somewhere new I trounce him by 5+ strokes.

I get the logic in wanting to have a perfect disc for every hole you regularly play, but I think that learning to range your discs is a skill that translates better to playing other courses.

You're not really catching my drift. The main idea presented was that the max range of the putter shouldn't matter, and my comment was that it absolutely matters. If your minimum range for your mids is too much higher than your max range for your putters, you are left with a gap where you must range down your mid to an uncomfortable range between clubs. Making sure that you don't have an excessive "between clubs" range allows you to tackle any configuration of holes you run into, especially at a new course.

For example, if I bag a Tank (quite range limiting) and a Kaxe (really long mid) I have about a 80' gap where I am in between their effective ranges. This is especially concerning given that most solid birdy opportunities on the course are in that range.

My point is that sure, you can have a putter that will give you the extra 20 feet, but if it's less accurate, what's the point? I'd rather be short 20 feet but be there every time, rather than left/right/long 20+ feet. Distance isn't everything.

Why does the 20' longer putter have to be less accurate? Obviously we are talking about effective range, not ineffective range. I can accurately throw a Wizard 20' further than an Aviar.

You're acting like a hyper flip is the hardest shot in disc golf. And yes an Envy can hold an anny line when thrown on amd anny line.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I can make a firebird anny BUT thats not the point.

Again...no finesse....i have made an Envy hold an anny but you have to throw it really high at a hard anny angle.

Envy is not a neutral disc. It is a moderately overstable mold. At slower speeds it has no glide or finesse.

A ION is a better driving putter than an Envy.

(The Ion almost mimicks the Wizard But i feel the Ion doesnt glide as well)