• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] What discs do you have that overlap but you still keep in the bag?

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
I've got 20 discs in my bag. I could easily cut that down to 15 and could even survive nicely on 7-8 but I just like throwing a lot of those molds.

For instance.

Neutron Volt/Amp - The Amp is heavy and Volt is light. They are both very straight with the beat Volt having a tiny bit more fade. I could easily only carry one but sometimes I'm feeling one more than the other so I keep both.

G* Destroyer/* Wraith - Wraith has more HSS and is easier distance but I love the way the Destroyer flies but I could use either to cover that slot.

Inertia/G* Tern - Except for the insane glide of the Tern my Inertia hits the same line. I just really dig both discs.

Does anyone else have this problem and if so what overlapping discs do you keep in the bag?

Most of my discs overlap a little with other molds in my bag. They all have unique enough traits that none are completely obsolete. I tend to not carry backups so I would like to know I have something that can get the job done if I lose a disc.

My trio of Tangent/Pure/Warden Could be pared down, but I don't want to.
My 3 Terns and my Sorcerer overlap a good bit, but I just like having them available.
I sometimes carry Verdict/Suspect/Harp. I could pare down just like the putters above.
My TBird/AceRace13/Shock could be changed, and now have a Respecti that needs to be learned. The Tbird is an over water disc though. I can get them at $6.89 per, so I don't care if I lose them.

I would have to use some Venn diagrams to illustrate my overlap schemes. Basically each of the discs I carry can do a couple of unique things very well and a few other things that overlap with other discs to give me choices based on wind/elevation/shot-power-requirement.

My discs are all used for different things in different situations, so there's very little true overlap. For instance, I usually forehand my rival or rampage for distance, but if I'm shooting uphill I'll use my amp. The only discs that truly have overlap are my Zone and Trident. There are times when both could be used, but these days I tend to favor the trident for the extra stability.

...G* Destroyer/* Wraith - Wraith has more HSS and is easier distance but I love the way the Destroyer flies but I could use either to cover this slot...

I have that same exact combo in the bag, and feel the same way. I really only need one distance driver, but it totally depends on the situation and what I'm feeling at the moment.

My bag is a bit overloaded, and I'd honestly like to cut back to 18 total discs in my bag. Saving the weight, and simplifying my decision making process would be really nice. But, everytime I sit down to try and pull discs out, I just cant bring myself to do it lol.

I certainly could (and sometimes do) drop a few in the car depending on the course I'm playing. If its a local course, I pretty much know what discs I'm def not going to use.

Like you though, I could honestly be just as effective with only 7-8 discs.
Maybe its just phsycological...

I don't carry many molds, but many discs overlap in some way. My Tangent/Axis can overlap, as well as my Amp/Inertia. But they are different enough to cover certain shots, which is why they are all bagged.

I don't really have overlap between molds, I suppose my comet overlaps with my most beat roc, my most beat roc overlaps with my seasoned roc, and my seasoned roc overlaps with my new roc. Same thing in my putter lineup with all my wizards and my driver lineup with a firebird and 3 PDs. I like that kind of overlap though, it means that losing one disc is something I can easily handle without losing a bunch of shots out of my arsenal.

I was keeping a Wraith/Destroyer combo for my high speeds. I always got the most distance with my Wraiths and used the Destroyer to get a more OS flight and to have that extra skip at the end. I developed some trust issues off the tee trying to decide which one to use at times. I recently dropped the Destroyer because I can do more with a Wraith and I know that I need to keep my molds to a minimum. I have found overlap to be a distraction.

I've got a Pinnacle Patriot that's oddly beefy and could probably take the place of one of my Teebirds, or vice versa...and it's pearly salmon/orange, so it's crazy hard to find half the time. I should probably take that one out...

I've got a Pinnacle Patriot that's oddly beefy and could probably take the place of one of my Teebirds, or vice versa...and it's pearly salmon/orange, so it's crazy hard to find half the time. I should probably take that one out...and send it to Teebz

That's so nice of you! I tried the same thing, but the Pat beat in and started turning really fast.

Since I'm rehashing my backhand this year, I have tons of overlap...

Teebird, TL, Leopard, Patriot, stalker, drone, gator, verdict, roc3, buzzz, judge, aviar, challenger, aero.

Way too much overlap

I have plenty of overlapping max distance drivers.
I have:
Star Katana
Blizzard champion boss
Star Vulcan
Esp nuke
Esp crank
Pro wraith
Pro starfire

I don't know why, but I love having all kinds of different max distance drivers.

Wasp and Gator. I use the Wasp if I want to push the range limit, and the gator for spike hyzer approach shots, which are too long for a Pig.

My most beat PD2 flies like a Wraith. Roc3 and Z Buzzz are similar but work well together. Always go back and forth between the PD and Firebird... Should probably just bag both.

Havoc, boss, enforcer take up space in my bag, just can't bring myself to take any of them out nor decide on a favorite and start buying multiples.

I have a handful of overlapping discs, but like everyone else said, I love them all. My champ tank and gstar rhyno overlap quite a bit. My Zone and Gator also overlap, but the Zone is for forehand and Gator for backhand for grip reasons. Many people would say my Flick and Firebird overlap, but the flick is for thumbers and skips, the Firebird is for spike hyzers. Also have the Leopard, Hatchett and Bandit which all have very similar flights, will probably narrow those down once I decide on a favorite though.

Teebirds - too many of them. I started with 1 dx as my OS / windy driver. Fell in love. It quickly beat in to be nice and straight but not useful in that headwind. Added a GStar bird for that slot. Lately I've been playing a lot of "double" rounds while solo as my home course isn't busy...1 disc from mid tees, 1 from short tees concurrently. Found myself needing another bird as I'd often toss my dx from the mid tee and want it on the short also...so I added another dx to the mix. Then I was fortunate enough to find a 150 starlight bird (uninked) last week. At first I just was using it for field work, but it has snuck its way into my bag as it is about the same stability as my fresh dx but a few feet longer. So now I have 4. I quite often throw 2 of them on a given hole as it is my favorite driver mold. Granted I would drop to 3 if I wasn't playing 2 concurrent rounds...

I had a lot of overlap in my bag up until recently. I carried 8 fairway drivers alone that mostly overlapped with each other. I recently cut down to just carrying 7 or 8 discs total and my game has dramatically improved. There's no more of those indecisive shots because I had too many discs to choose from. I now carry 2 of each, overstable and understable, distance, fairway, mid and one putter. Sometimes I throw a third fairway in there if I'm going to a course that I need something specific.