• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the purpose of the new Ching baskets?

I like how it says "you'll never throw the same putt twice." Doesn't that go against everything good putting is about?

I wonder how much?

Are you serious? I don't personally think even a buck would do it for me. I am as stumped as everyone else on the purpose to this. ;)

After reading the responses, to the original question of this thread on what they are trying to do; it is obvious. Show everyone that they have not done any market research to design what disc golfers would want.

I reserve judgment on this basket until I see some spec's... it could be 6 feet in diameter and be easy to drop a put into. Just as people must have thought when the original pole hole replaced marked trees... it deserves a chance to prove itself.

This general idea has been tried before. I think part of the idea is to emulate ball golf, and reduce the range of putting (80% from 30 feet?). There was a metal chain version of this concept introduced several years ago.

It's not a totally invalid concept, but I see no chance that more than a handful of people will be interested.

I would feel like I was trying to throw a spike hyzer when trying to nail some birdie putts. I understand the concept but I dont see it really working for something like a disc that is designed to move on a flat line

Maybe you are supposed to buy 2 and tape them one on top of the other. Then the net from the top one can knock it down into the net on the bottom one.

Can Ching make anything normal?

This general idea has been tried before. I think part of the idea is to emulate ball golf, and reduce the range of putting (80% from 30 feet?). There was a metal chain version of this concept introduced several years ago.

It's not a totally invalid concept, but I see no chance that more than a handful of people will be interested.

There are a lot of people (purists) who say that putting has ruined DG. It was never intended that players regularly make 30-50ft putts like the pros do. Like DavidSauls says, this would reduce the putting range and bring it back to the emulation of ball golf. I believe that it would level the playing field and probably add about a throw per hole, because you'd have to lay up at just about every basket. It would bring a different strategy to DG that minimized the putting aspect.
I'm not sure that I'd like it, but I'd be open to trying it.

I think the flaw is that if you reduced putting to 50% from 10 feet, say, all we'd be doing is laying up and dropping in. It wouldn't be far from an old frisbee game where you tried to land in a hula hoop on the ground.

There's a fun and beauty in a long putt hitting our current basket, especially if it requires twisting around obstacles, that I think would be lost if the baskets were vastly more difficult.

We should learn from ball golf but not always emulate it.

These baskets will be used on one course at the World Championships this summer as a test. Ching is adding $20K to sponsorship.

Wait a sec... I can "pull the pin?" Yes! Sign me up for three!

----

The following takes place at a Ching office months ago...

"Man, I must have eaten like a dozen shrums man. I'm so wasted."

"Dude, you still gotta get a basket idea to the boss."

"Man, I love shrums, shrums, shrums, shruuuummmsss..."

"Duuuude, you just make your basket like a shrum!"

"Ah yeah man, kick ass!!!"

Latest posts