• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is your current internet distance?

What is your standard fake distance?

• 350'-399' (noodle arm)

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • 400' (classically conservative)

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • 401'-425' (just started working on my form)

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 426'-450' (starting to see some real results)

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • 451'-499' (working on crushing the can and elbow chop)

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • 500'+ (check out my carefully edited youtube vid)

Votes: 11 11.8%

• Total voters
The attached screenshot is from the local Facebook disc golf group. Matthew (last name withheld) announced to 4k + members that he should be considered one of the furthest throwers in our state.

For context, this Matthew character has been PDGA current since 2016, played intermediate during 2019, and is currently sub-900 rated.

Attachments

• FB586AEC-EF0D-4065-9124-5360AF545EA3.jpg
    FB586AEC-EF0D-4065-9124-5360AF545EA3.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 61
I don't play DG competitively. I play it as a hobby. I don't exaggerate distances when I discuss discs.

My best distance is right around 450' on a good day. I won't even see that very often. If I'm having an off day I'll max out right about 400'.

When reading disc reviews you can usually tell when someone's fabricating distance. I'll disregard those reviews.

Further, if I'm stating what distance I'm throwing, its flat ground. I'm not going to make some miraculous shot off a mountain that goes 600' and then claim I'm a 600' thrower. I use Google Earth to measure my throws, and I use several different places for field practice. It isn't like I'm throwing the same shot at the same place a million times.

Disc golf can be maddening. One day in the field I'll be smashing 400'+ effortlessly. Next time out things won't feel the same and I'll be lucky to touch 400' once. I think weather conditions play a bigger role than people know. Hot, calm days seem to produce the best distance. Cool or cold days I find myself struggling to hit max distance. I think part of that is also being stiff while throwing. You never feel super loose/warmed up trying to throw in cold weather. Also, your grip on the disc isn't as firm in cold weather.

This week I threw 450' on a griplocked downhill tailwind shot that finished 100' over an OB line. So...I guess for interwebs purposes I'm a 450' thrower?

In reality I comfortably throw fairways only 300', can push fairways to 320' if I throw harder than I prefer, and require a flippy distance driver to get above that. I do fieldwork on a football field and the majority of my drives are short of the goalline, so I know my average max D drive is < 360'. A "crush" for me is 375'. I've thrown over 400' on flat ground only twice.

Its a mix of the wind/elevation change and course elevation. Also, announcers not mentioning these things on broadcast means everybody thinks 700 feet during an NT event is real and it's not because there is a huge tailwind and 75 feet downhill.

I threw a disc in a ups box and it traveled across the Universe&#55357;&#56846;&#55357;&#56846;&#55357;&#56846;

After watching many throwers at my home course including the pros I have come to the conclusion that the percent of disc golfers who can average 400 feet is very low. Maybe one or two percent would be my guess.

The women struggle inside the circle far more than a casual observer would think that they should. When you analyze the men's stats you also see something interesting - for the most part, the biggest arms are also the best putters. Yes, there are a few outliers like Matt Dollar and MJ who are among the top putters despite not having elite level distance, but for the most part, consistently year after year it's Paul, Eagle, Simon, Ricky who have been among the best C1 putters on tour.

That tells me that the same strength and power attributes that it takes to throw really, really far have a lot of crossover into the same attributes that it takes to hit C1 putts. Which also explains why the ladies do struggle at C1 putting despite it being < 33 feet. I even see this play out locally at our putting leagues, in that the bigger arms, for the most part are also the best putters. Again there are a few outliers as always, but exceptions make the rule, that's how a bell curve works.

This can also explain why someone like Paige has failed to hit 4 digits in the ratings department (so far). I would speculate that it is a matter of having a higher % of C1 putts drop. This might be difficult given her physical size and strength. If size/strength is a seperator on the men's side in terms of C1 % hit, obviously it is a detriment on the entire women's side.

The good news for the women is that they all compete against each other so their physical size/strength limitations are all relative and for the most part on equal ground.

I don't think throwing far off a drive and putting well have much to do with each other. Both rely on great technique, but they are very different from each other. The four MPO players you mentioned or just some of the best of the best in the world. There are others who can drive far, but not putt as well as they can drive.

Now as you get farther away C2 and "C3", then I think the physical aspect comes into play to get the disc to the basket.

I think if Paige played a little smarter and played in the MPO division more, her rating should go up. As I understand it, your rating in a given tournament is partially based on who you are playing against. Since she is currently the highest-rated player, she only has the option to play better. The same would apply to Paul McBeth. But everyone else has the option to play better against themselves and their competition.

After watching a good amount of coverage, I am surprised that more FPO players don't putt as well as I think they should. I doubt it's an issue of their physical strength as I would assume that playing that much disc golf and being a pro would give you the opportunity to develop a strong putt. Just look at Paige Pierce... she isn't that "big" of a person but can drive with the best and putt with the best FPO players.

...for the most part, the biggest arms are also the best putters. ...

That tells me that the same strength and power attributes that it takes to throw really, really far have a lot of crossover into the same attributes that it takes to hit C1 putts...

Doesn't have to be the strength and power that is the shared factor. Far more likely that it is the dedication and focus to practice.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Latest posts