• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What Pros frequent DGCR?

ChrisWoj has reviewed some courses, not sure if he has posted in the forums...

Talking about how much guys get paid and the costs involved, wouldn't sponsorships assist in this to a degree?

I'm on here now.
mj # 20300

It was good to see you again at Sarah's last weekend.

While we technically beat you since you forfeited we look forward to actually winning a Kan-Jam round against you next time! :hfive:

I think whiz is onto something. If the place you finish and the tournament winnings are what you relied on to survive and travel, the sport would have to drop from a hobby to a job making it less fun. I agree throwing discs for a living is a dream, but nowhere in that dream do I actually think about the added pressure.

I was playing a doubles round with Big Jerm in my group and I was having a similar discussion with him. He hit a tree early and for whatever reason was really frustrated with himself. I told him that he might as well chill and that it was just a game. It started a whole discussion on how the pressures of performing and hitting lines become way greater when you try to start making a living on being perfect in an imperfect environment. That discussion was really eye-opening as I hope that I always enjoy the sport no matter how good I get.

It's like that with any "job". I used to love installing and tweaking car stereos. We were looking at professional installers cars one day and I said "no way my car will ever look that bad". 1 year later I was a professional installer and my car looked like crap because I didn't want to deal with it after looking at similar crap all day.

Same thing recently when I was buidling tube pre-amps. I enjoyed the hell out of doing it as a hobby but I started selling the things because I couldn't just build up a little army of useless stuff for me. I had a guy order a crazy model with tons of upgrades and cost and pressure and I haven't built anything since.

I was playing a doubles round with Big Jerm in my group and I was having a similar discussion with him. He hit a tree early and for whatever reason was really frustrated with himself.

I seen him take a 5 on hole #1 at Winthrop and practically melt down.... I felt sorry for him.... poor guy...:rolleyes:

But unlike many pros when Jeremy has a bad shot or round he rarely blames it on the course.

I have no idea what the circumstances are... But as a sponsored pro... I'm thinking that the sponsor probably pays them to play... I doubt they live off of their "winnings" ( I could be 100% wrong though!) (side note... Sponsored Radio controlled car racers can make 100k+)

Talking about how much guys get paid and the costs involved, wouldn't sponsorships assist in this to a degree?
Yeah, to a degree...

...as in except for the elite pros, the travel costs are still probably way more than what the sponsorships make up for.

And even for those top guys, its still not easy street. You'd be surprised how many of these guys crash at other player's houses rather than get a motel room.

Craigg...Craig Gangloff, and Discwrangler...Tanner Duncan. Scooter...Matt Hall used to be on here.

Oh Scooter, so many opinions.

Concerning how touring pros can make it, these are the ways I've heard they make money.

-Tournament winnings is the main source of income
-sponsored pros (most pros) sometimes get money from their company for winning a tournament
-they also get free discs and other disc golf equipment. They get these from their sponsoring company, from winning tourneys (sometimes, mostly it's just cash), and from players packs. They usually sell these discs, and since they are pros, they can sign them and sell 'em and the disc becomes more marketable.
-for the big big names (which are the only ones who can actually make enough money to live on) they get some money from the sales of discs their name is on. So Feldberg gets some money for Bosses, Avery some for Destroyers, Yeti for his aviars, and Climo for every other disc Innova has sold since the beginning of disc golf (slight exaggeration).
-They also give clinics. Sometimes these are free, but when you're in the top 10 in the world, you can charge 5 bucks and have a decent amount of people pay.

Then they have to spend money, but they are pretty cheap from what I hear, staying at another player's or fan's house, traveling together when possible, etc.

Here are some threads on it:
Touring Pros
A discussion of your question

You'd be surprised how many of these guys crash at other player's houses rather than get a motel room.

Its the same being a musican, I cant tell you how many times I slept on floors, or couches of fans that came to shows we played on early tours. It was some of the best times of my life. Getting paid to do something you love is awesome no matter how it looks to everyone else. Even if its just enough to get to the next city.
Biz

Open player or guys who play open in Dallas ForthWorth that post, (mostly on stuff regarding DFW)
CCdiscgolf Ron Silliman Masters player Team DD (hasn't posting in a while)
RustyP just hit 1000
BigE I think plays open but I don't know that he has cashed
CC0049 did you take cash?
ColdToe Mike Brownlow used the scorebook, don't think he has posted in the forums

I've been playing OPEN since Feb. 1990 (my first PRO event was at a Houck tournament in Waterloo Park in Austin). I used to travel a LOT to events, sometimes 2 a month. Cashed many times and worked my way up to a ranking of 26th when we used to be grouped by regions (TX, OK, ARK, LA). Nowadays I play closer to home, working on the family life (trying to get that #1 Dad ranking).

I once heard a story Michael Johansen jumped all over a guy when he beat him, called him a weekend warrior and said "This is my job, this is how I eat and support myself"

I once heard a story Michael Johansen jumped all over a guy when he beat him, called him a weekend warrior and said "This is my job, this is how I eat and support myself"

true or not i've had travelling pros complain to me that i was preventing them from supporting themselves. I chose to keep my fulltime job and drive somewhere every weekend. We all have choices we need to make.

I'd go nuts if DG was my only source of income. I moved to a mecca (Des Moines/Iowa) where there were plenty of jobs, tournaments and pretty girls. I've been employed by the same company for 7 years, playing my best golf, just got engaged and I get to see my family often. Can't imagine living the life of a gypsy. The kids can do it, but as a grown man it's just not realistic unless you're gonna finish in the top 5 every week. With more and more great golfers out there, it's getting harder and harder.

true or not i've had travelling pros complain to me that i was preventing them from supporting themselves. I chose to keep my fulltime job and drive somewhere every weekend. We all have choices we need to make.

Sounds to me like someone needs to get better at their job if they're letting the "weekend warriors" put them out of business :p

Latest posts