• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What rules would you add (not really, but you might wish for)

I do not think the 40 Age protected divisions should have rating cap maybe one to play the age group down but that they need to have intermediate and advanced for the age protected divisions with the ones under the max age group having a beginner/rec combo as well. The youth under 18 age divisions should have a rating cap for the age group, that is the lower end of the non age division groups if they could fall under the Rec-Am 1 divisions as one of the max ratings for a youth age divisions.

The solution absolutely should not be more divisions, IMHO.

The solution absolutely should not be more divisions, IMHO.

No but moving the players to the right divisions, This would work and then only at big enough events have the Different ages have the Intermediate group that is only for those under the level to play the masters level at Am. These big events would be the Rather big ones, (rare for now) that have the need for such divisions as the players would get creamed in upper levels of the master as well as in the open Am Intermediate. Keep the master beginner if they want to play intermediate in the age group they are or the Beginner group.

Last edited:
Rule I would wish for, All players Must have a Mini playing in a PDGA event if they use only one disc. Too many times I have seen a player that uses one driver or midrange and they do not have a mini to mark not want to use a mini.

Rule I would wish for, All players Must have a Mini playing in a PDGA event if they use only one disc. Too many times I have seen a player that uses one driver or midrange and they do not have a mini to mark not want to use a mini.

When I have a player on my card without a mini, I let them know the rules about marking a disc (politely), then I offer them to use one of my extra minis. I carry about 6 of them and they aren't important to me (just in case it doesn't get returned).

When I have a player on my card without a mini, I let them know the rules about marking a disc (politely), then I offer them to use one of my extra minis. I carry about 6 of them and they aren't important to me (just in case it doesn't get returned).

I do too and when I played PDGA tournaments more I had a few now gone but then a good number about 1/2 still refuse to use a mini if they only have one disc or they want to flip the old disc over of they have more then one or two disc. It is Fine if just playing casual or even league for the flip over is fine as long as they are marking the lie in league some obvious way but playing when not marking with a mini or just using the disc on ground as is for PDGA Tournaments is just odd to me as it violates the rules. Why is it so hard to get some to use a mini or let the disc sit? Also very obvious some that pick up the disc and not marking are stepping like ~3 feet in front of where even a mini would sit with front foot.

I do too and when I played PDGA tournaments more I had a few now gone but then a good number about 1/2 still refuse to use a mini if they only have one disc or they want to flip the old disc over of they have more then one or two disc. It is Fine if just playing casual or even league for the flip over is fine as long as they are marking the lie in league some obvious way but playing when not marking with a mini or just using the disc on ground as is for PDGA Tournaments is just odd to me as it violates the rules. Why is it so hard to get some to use a mini or let the disc sit? Also very obvious some that pick up the disc and not marking are stepping like ~3 feet in front of where even a mini would sit with front foot.

And flipping a disc can get extra inches. I caught someone flipping a disc forward (intentionally). When they flip a disc it can be difficult to prove where the disc (and therefore the spot) was before it was flipped.

As for the rules.....I have found there are many players that don't care about the rules.

...Why is it so hard to get some to use a mini or let the disc sit?...

Most players "learn" the rules by copying the patterns of those they play with. If they've only played non-sanctioned before, it's possible they think flipping the disc is the thing to do before you make a throw. Perhaps their theory is that it signals the others players when they are ready to throw.

Now some stranger comes along talking about "marking" and "mini" and "use the thrown disc as a marker" - things no one else has ever mentioned, and they're supposed to believe you are right? Why should they switch from doing something that's never gotten them a penalty to something new and strange which - for all they know - could get them DQed?

Yeah, it can be hard, but educating them is doing them a favor and they'll feel more confident as a player when they know that they know the rules, and aren't just faking it anymore.

Just trying to catch up on reading some of the most recent posts, so forgive me if I bring up something that died a while back.

The main rule I would like to see added is that EVERYONE must read the rule books (Rule & Competition Manual). Period.
I've encountered so many players over the years who have absolutely no clue as to what the rules are. Their knowledge of the rules is usually from what someone else told them, not what they had read for themselves. All participants in a tournament paid to be there, so everyone there should be following the same rules. And as someone said earlier, most players don't really give a rats a$$ about the rules. As one card mate at State championship a few years back declared on our 1st hole, "I'm here to have fun."
I'm just sayin'. Know the rules. Don't treat tournaments as just another casual round. And that's not to say one can't have fun, but.....

Oh & jump/step putts? Yeah, let's do away with those.

Even less intuitive is telling them that their lie is like a piece of paper 20cm x 30cm behind their circular marker...

Even less intuitive was telling them that their lie was a 30cm line of no thickness behind their circular marker...

As one card mate at State championship a few years back declared on our 1st hole, "I'm here to have fun."
I'm just sayin'. Know the rules. Don't treat tournaments as just another casual round. And that's not to say one can't have fun, but.....

"I'm here to have fun. I'm just saying".
Well, don't take part in tournaments then....just saying. :D

I agree though. Take part in tournaments - learn and abide by the rules. If you don't want to learn/abide by the rules....don't take part in tournaments.

Just trying to catch up on reading some of the most recent posts, so forgive me if I bring up something that died a while back.

The main rule I would like to see added is that EVERYONE must read the rule books (Rule & Competition Manual). Period.
I've encountered so many players over the years who have absolutely no clue as to what the rules are. Their knowledge of the rules is usually from what someone else told them, not what they had read for themselves. All participants in a tournament paid to be there, so everyone there should be following the same rules. And as someone said earlier, most players don't really give a rats a$$ about the rules. As one card mate at State championship a few years back declared on our 1st hole, "I'm here to have fun."

Oh & jump/step putts? Yeah, let's do away with those.

I agree with reading the rules in the little book they have for Disc Golf. The Jump putt, yeah as well as the stepover in regular rules.

Yep I met a guy who knew ever single rule and how to fake a sound thing for extra time in putting was sure my dad's Ching Juju in supreme was illigal because the company did not make the disc anymore being oop. He thought that companies if they no longer made a specific model of disc it was illigal as they had to pay and test each year for a disc mold to stay certified, hence why he went from XD to XD+ when he did not need to do so and left his old disc on the course in the basket with words on back in Sharpie, Take, do not give back. My dad playing with the guy in round one of the South Dakota PDGA State Disc Tournament in 2007 he thought he could ban my dad from the tournament and as I had finished early I went to watch him as part of the course is where you can watch and not be in the way. My dad had to finish last hole with his Pro Rhyno and did fine due to disc being about the same in stiffness. Same guy at a Tournament in Rapid City in 2006, he was on my card and knew at the time you had to have full group consent on something, we did not so I had to force foot under a spot of a tree that fell in a storm the night before to play his way and mine too on top of the tree log for provisional as that was only way we could agree. Then due to him not having consent a beyond casual group was playing behind us in tournament and they were always asking if they could play thorough which everyone is looking the other way on a rule about not playing though, but that guy who attempted to get my dad a year later failed because of the way he interpreted a PDGA Rule that would not be interpreted that way by 99% of people because the rule made no mention of renewing molds for PDGA approval.

+1

I'm okay with anything, as long as your follow through ends in the right 20x30 area behind your mini.

True jump putts over mini or step over the mini lets end that for all other shots. That is the one that needs to end. The only part that should be legal is after the release and disc is off hand at least 1-2 meters let the PDGA decide how far minimum is, then the player should be able to get go over mini before disc comes to rest as long as they do no touch the disc.

Rename the Novice division to Casual and watch that division's participation boom. Which in turn would get more people playing their rating in other divisions.

People who have been playing for 2 years and are still 820 rated don't want to play in a division called Novice. So they play Recreational and then the 875 rated players look bad beating up on the 820 guys. So the 875 plays Intermediate and the cycle moves up the ladder.

Rename the Novice division to Casual and watch that division's participation boom. Which in turn would get more people playing their rating in other divisions.

People who have been playing for 2 years and are still 820 rated don't want to play in a division called Novice. So they play Recreational and then the 875 rated players look bad beating up on the 820 guys. So the 875 plays Intermediate and the cycle moves up the ladder.

The Novice needs to be the same name or change to Beginner. You need to have a beginner division or nobody will want to if bran new PDGA player to play in events if they know they are a more beginner player in the first place. Yes you scare away the beginner players who feel they can't enter a division at all due to no beginner, and this is how PDGA tournaments die or they keep playing and practicing till they are advanced open level and enter Rec blowing away the entire field but sticking with Rec.

However there is sad times when people in Novice could beat Rec just due to the Rec treating the game like a beyond casual player and getting ejected due to breaking fairly obvious rules. I have seen this before with players at a PDGA tournament and it pisses me off, they played so poor the Novice division could have had some players go up and play rec, these high school players did not want to play Novice and even more odd they would have played the division if it were called beginner, they had 0% clue that Novice meant Beginner or near beginner. Yeah they were not bright and were also on there schools golf team as sop level players so they just kept getting passed on just barely from grade to grade.

Last edited:
The Novice needs to be the same name or change to Beginner. You need to have a beginner division or nobody will want to if bran new PDGA player to play in events if they know they are a more beginner player in the first place. Yes you scare away the beginner players who feel they can't enter a division at all due to no beginner, and this is how PDGA tournaments die or they keep playing and practicing till they are advanced open level and enter Rec blowing away the entire field but sticking with Rec.

However there is sad times when people in Novice could beat Rec just due to the Rec treating the game like a beyond casual player and getting ejected due to breaking fairly obvious rules. I have seen this before with players at a PDGA tournament and it pisses me off, they played so poor the Novice division could have had some players go up and play rec, these high school players did not want to play Novice and even more odd they would have played the division if it were called beginner, they had 0% clue that Novice meant Beginner or near beginner. Yeah they were not bright and were also on there schools golf team as sop level players so they just kept getting passed on just barely from grade to grade.

But all of those beginners you are talking about are currently playing in Rec. Aren't they?

Because lots of TDs don't offer Novice at all. And those tournaments aren't dying - tournaments are booming.

The original idea is excellent - rename Novice to remove the ego barrier. And stop the cycle of playing up.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Dump the names all together and stick with the alphanumerics imo.

Latest posts