• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What was your most unlikely or unbelievable shot?

juanbond

Eagle Member
I'm sure there are many from past years I've forgotten. But, one comes to mind from a few weeks back. A friend and I were playing Fuller Park in Muscatine, IA. I forget just what hole it was... It was 250-300ish, thick woods, fairly narrow fairway in front of the teepad. My drive clipped a tree, only went about 80 feet into some brush alongside a creek. My second shot was totally blind, with my eyes at roughly fairway ground level, through a thick bush, and would later need to cross the same creek to reach the green. My friend jokingly said, "just roll it over the wooden bridge over the creek!". I was like, "yeah, right." Nonetheless, I launched a slight cut-roller, hoping to at least reach the creek 100 or so feet away. I was down in the creekbed deep enough that I had to watch my friend's reaction to the shot to see what happened. Sure enough, it had rolled right over the bridge (which by the way was missing a few of its first boards, making rolling over it even more unlikely), and onto the green area. I then proceeded to miss my 25-foot putt for par. D'oh. Definitely a shot to remember, though!

Had to be the upshot on #8 at Oak Grove, Pasadena. From WAY deep in the schule, the disc flew dead-arrow straight for about 40 feet, then threaded its way through a window that had to be 15.375" wide at the widest, maybe 21.875" tall, and then coasted another 40 feet or so to nestle securely and safely in the basket. Dead straight shot, impossible window, and spank chains, all in one shot.

Never happen again as long as I live.

. . .

Oh yeah. With a ROC. :D

I had a terribly shanked drive turn into an almost ace. The disc was a little wet and it slipped out of my hand way early, and went hyzering off to the left of the fairway. It hit a tree 150' from the tree, took a huge bounce up and to the right, and kissed off the chains a couple inches from sticking for the ace.

I was playing a hole with a tight fairway, it was only about 260ft to the basket. I tripped on the tee pad, and threw my disc about 30ft into some bushes, and it rolled out into the fairway. I still had a 230ft shot, and I was mad at myself, and I just picked up a Champ Coyote, and launched it . Being Champ plastic, as it got near the basket, it started to fade away from the basket, and I started to get mad again. About 15 ft from the basket on the right is a skinny tree, about 2 inches wide. It clipped the tree, and came back and nailed the chains , dead center. I was shocked, and I let out a yell. It was one of the coolest shots I have ever seen.

Talking about bridges and creeks.....Idlewild #11. My 2nd throw into a stiff diagonal wind got me to 150' from the berm where things drop off sharply downtowards the creek and pin. I threw my favorite Roc with the intent of getting to near the bottom of the hill for an easy up and down par-5.

Well, the wind flipped it over and I lost sight of it. I thought it would be in the prairie grass on the left side. Did not find it there. Then thought it rolled and I looked everywhere including dredging the creek for ever. I walked to the right of the basket, crossed the creek and passed the basket looking in the creek. Nowhere. After 30 minutes (it was my favorite disc) I gave up. Upon walking to the basket I saw my disc. To this day I have no idea how it got there lodged up against he side of the bridge over the creek.....15 feet from the basket (see the picture below). I ignored the 3-minute search rule penalty and tapped in for birdie!

Sorry for the crappy quality - I have not idea why I had my phone set up like this.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMAGE_015.jpg
    IMAGE_015.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 158
I was on the 450' hole at my local course and I hit the first tree off the teepad and the disc fell straight down in the grass. This left me with about 340' throw still to get to the basket. There are two huge trees almost in line with me and the basket and a creek just 6-8 feet right of those trees. I decided to throw my valk on an anny line so i could park it next to the basket. As soon as I let go of the disc, I felt this cold breeze hit me in the face; the wind had all of a sudden gusted right into me. I thought the disc was doomed for the OB creek. To my amazement, it fell and started rolling to the right of the trees and left of the creek, hit the last tree by the basket while rolling and stopped near the basket. The most unlikely par I ever made.

Sometime last year I was throwing a slight anhyzer with a buzzz on a 250ish' dogleg right, I put it too far right and it bounced off or a fence, Faded back left and sat right in the basket.. I had 5 or 6 witnesses even. Total dumb luck.

Couple years ago I threw a champ firebird forehand skip on a short (144') blind dogleg. It skipped a little late and hit a tree root system I was trying to avoid, sending the disc straight up. Fortunately a tree limb redirected the disc back in the direction of the basket, then we heard chains... I ranup there and, sure enough, it stuck. My 3rd ace on that hole.

We have some alternate holes at my home course, and the very last one from the long tees is about 620'. You shoot uphill, then it levels out, goes up a narrow fairway, and at the end goes downhill and right. My drive got me just up to the top of the hill and on the flat. So, trying to get close, I threw a forehand shot. It left my hand perfectly on line, so I thought I'd be at least 20' or so from the pin. I heard my disc hit metal, so I thought maybe the hat band. As I was walking down, I saw a couple walking on the walkpath which goes near the basket, and they proceded to tell me that my disc had just gone in. Was pretty stoked that I had just gotten a birdie on one of the longest holes on the course!

Hole 13 at Oak Grove.

I threw a ridiculously long mid-range to the basket, maybe about 130 feet. It landed on top of the basket, and, instead of bouncing off, the disc fell through the top, through the chains, and into the basket.

Amazing birdie.

I checked out the basket, and sure enough, it was possible for a disc to fall through....if sent in at the perfect angle. Which, apparently, it was.

I also noticed, that NO OTHER BASKET on the course would allow this to happen. JUST the one at hole 13. So, I guess I was lucky. I felt like I cheated when I got that bird.

THAT is my most unlikely shot ever.

250' blind ace with a stiff crossing tailwind. I'll admit I threw a wide looping hyzer trying to ride the wind. (It was too stiff to fight.) But I never thought it'd carry the way it did.

At Stoney Hill, #13 basket is a hanging basket, barely beyond an O.B. creek. If you bounce off the chains, you're bound to go O.B. The bridge across the creek is a 4" x 12" timber.

Hole%2013%20Green%20(3).jpg

At the Stoney Hill Challenge, a player's putt missed the basket, hit the large tree behind it, and rolled back toward the creek. Then rolled the length of the 1' wide bridge to return to him, safe and dry, from where he sank the next shot.

It would have to be my first ace. I was playing in my first final 9 at Brandywine in Delaware. The wind was in your face 20-40+ mph the entire day. I stepped up to the 3rd hole (239ft slightly downhill and behind a large tree) with a sustained 30+ mph headwind. I threw a 180 g Aero with as much force as I could muster. I had no idea that it was an ACE until the gallery started screaming and raising their hands. The wind was so loud you couldn't hear anything... not even the people talking 10 feet away. The ace also won me a pole hole.

The regular rounds during the day were hilarious. All day I watched as people tried to lay up to the basket...FROM AS LITTLE AS 10 FEET AWAY. I watched 5 foot putts hit the basket, and blow a hundred feet away. :doh:

Tomahawk out of the trees to a basket I couldn't see about 80' away. Just trying to get it out of the trees and near the basket, made it in.

350' ace in the dark. No lights on disc or basket. Played the hole enough times that I knew what was where, but the clang of chains after a few seconds of total silence and darkness was eerily cool. Only question was, did it stick or not?

About half of you will think nothing of this, but---

This winter in South Carolina was the coldest in 30 years, and many mornings we had a thin layer of ice covering much, and sometimes all, of the pond at Stoney Hill.

One day after it had warmed up enought to play, my drive over the pond was low and doomed....but it hit a randomly floating ice flow and skipped off it up onto the green.

I have birdied this one hole twice with a turbo putt. It was cool because both times I had to throw over branches that were taller than me. Also my first ace was a tomahawk through a gap above some trees.