• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's an ace for you?

What is an ace?

• Total voters
It's called a cubby ace. They're cool and all, but they're not true aces. True aces can only result your first shot from the tee area on a given hole. Though, what I find to be a better area for debate:

What if, say, you're playing a 9er (hell, an 18er!), decide to play through it 3 or 4 times because it's the only course around that's open and any good, and damnit, you're going to get your fill of disc golf. On the first shot you take from a given hole, you stick it in the basket, but it happens on your second or third play through the course, does it still count?* I say yes, but I could see at least defensible rationale behind saying that's a no.

*This exact scenario has never actually happened to me, but has come very close to happening on more than a few occasions. Every lifetime ace I have is a 1st shot at a hole AND the first time I played that hole that day

Per your example rounds 2, 3, or 4 would work because it's a new first shot. If I'm playing a quick "Wasp vs Comet" round and I plan to throw both against each other on a hole, that does count in my eyes.

Wasp RHFH on a dogleg right 200' hole? Terrible shot, probably a tap in 3 after an easy approach. Comet RHBH ace? It's an ace because it's a "different round" than the Wasp it's scoring against.

Anything remotely competitive or there's money on the line? FIRST SHOT ONLY (per round).

It's called a cubby ace. They're cool and all, but they're not true aces. True aces can only result your first shot from the tee area on a given hole. Though, what I find to be a better area for debate:

What if, say, you're playing a 9er (hell, an 18er!), decide to play through it 3 or 4 times because it's the only course around that's open and any good, and damnit, you're going to get your fill of disc golf. On the first shot you take from a given hole, you stick it in the basket, but it happens on your second or third play through the course, does it still count?* I say yes, but I could see at least defensible rationale behind saying that's a no.

*This exact scenario has never actually happened to me, but has come very close to happening on more than a few occasions. Every lifetime ace I have is a 1st shot at a hole AND the first time I played that hole that day
Of course it counts. By your "defensible rationale" the only time an ace should count would be the first time you play that course. That's nuts. :)

Said it before:

First shot, from the tee, must be longer than what most consider a putt, like 150 feet or more.

No pitch and putts, no par 5 dueces, its all Cubbys, which are worthless and should demand intense shaming, like black aces.

Just pure.

Worst is the solo, with nobody else to witness. Disc goes in, you raise your hands and whoop, look around, nothing, just squirrels. :(

Of course it counts. By your "defensible rationale" the only time an ace should count would be the first time you play that course. That's nuts. :)

Well, yeah, I mean...that's a lot of why I settle on "yes". As far as I'm concerned, as a serious, but ultimately casual player, any new playthrough is a "new round" so to say, and there's no meaningful difference to me if you come back and play the same course the next day, or if you play again immediately after playing a round.

I could just see things getting stretched a little into possible sketchiness, like say, hey, I'm going to play holes 1 and 2 here that make a sort of clean loop back to the parking lot, both easy aces, over and over and over again, make sure to hole out on each hole, but call it an ace once I nail it on like the 20th try on one of them...that's all.

Said it before:

First shot, from the tee, must be longer than what most consider a putt, like 150 feet or more.

No pitch and putts, no par 5 dueces, its all Cubbys, which are worthless and should demand intense shaming, like black aces.

Just pure.

Worst is the solo, with nobody else to witness. Disc goes in, you raise your hands and whoop, look around, nothing, just squirrels. :(

Maybe it's that I've never played a hole under 100 FT in my life, but I kind of feel like there shouldn't really be a "distance minimum" for an ace. For example, there's a hole at a course I play at often that's very short: about 115', but it's in this tight wooded tunnel and tucked back into a pocket to the right - you need to actually execute a pretty good shot to get it, and you can bogey it in a hurry if you get a bad kick right off the tee.

I'd count the hell out of it as an ace were I to ever get it.

How about if you show up for the Saturday weekly round and find out Holes #16 & #17 have a work party taking up the whole area? League director says instead of playing 16 & 17 everyone skips them and plays through #18 then does holes #1 & #2 again to make up for skipping 16 & 17 (standard procedure I used in this situation). Everyone plays 18 holes, the substitute holes are similar length & difficulty as the normal so handicaps aren't greatly affected, should the Ace Pot go to someone who Aces the second time around #1 & #2? My thinking is it counts for an Ace if you throw it in on your first shot from the tee pad, regardless of how many times you've been there that day.

Played the same course twice one day at my last event.

So I guess that 2nd round ace at my last tournament doesn't count?

There's nothing like a forced water carry to get a disc golfer to 'fess up about this true distance.
Thanks, I needed a laugh!

Like others have said, do what you want, count what you want etc... Makes no difference to me and quite frankly unless we're playing for beer or money it's an impressive shot either way.

I used to get more worked up about it until I realized that for most of us an Ace (Cubby or legit) is mostly just a lucky shot. Then I played a shorter local course with a guy who was running Aces on every hole and carded no fewer than 3 in the 36 holes we played together. No second tee shots, no B.S., just a deliberate attempt to nail every hole in a single shot, consequences and final score be damned! Watching him take aggressive lines that I'd never considered because it was the only possible way to hit the chains in one changed my perspective a bit. I'm not sure what the term for a called or deliberate hole in one is, but it was a fun show to watch!

How about if you show up for the Saturday weekly round and find out Holes #16 & #17 have a work party taking up the whole area? League director says instead of playing 16 & 17 everyone skips them and plays through #18 then does holes #1 & #2 again to make up for skipping 16 & 17 (standard procedure I used in this situation). Everyone plays 18 holes, the substitute holes are similar length & difficulty as the normal so handicaps aren't greatly affected, should the Ace Pot go to someone who Aces the second time around #1 & #2? My thinking is it counts for an Ace if you throw it in on your first shot from the tee pad, regardless of how many times you've been there that day.

Those are both "1" on the scorecard. I know I'm from Texas, where we sometimes have to use fingers and toes to count... But I've got it down going up to "1".

I count my elevation-assisted distance. Give me a big enough hill, and I can clear 300'.

Unlike my ace list, I get called out for that next time I face a 220' water carry.

Love it!

Allow me to present a scenario...
You drive a legitimate par 5 hole and with the help of some wind and a couple trees you are 150 feet from the basket. Do you start throwing your bag from your lie and add every shot that goes in to your albatross totals?

Love it!

And that's the reason water carries are so depressing ...

They are only depressing when you choose to throw, not knowing for certain that you can make it across every time.

Last edited:
You have no idea. I built one in my yard that I could clear at the time, but then I aged.

Haha the sadness in one's own yard.

I've got a water hazard, sits beside my distance practice spot in the yard. Plays slightly uphill, I used to worry it wasn't long enough. I don't have that problem anymore. The up side is I used to throw more drivers and there's lots of stuff I can clip with a putter now.

I get so many Aces (short course's) I just remember which ones I haven't hit. I still Woohoo for the dogs benefit. In the yard on my own it doesn't matter if it's legit or cubby it's the same fleeting 10 second thrill and then it's time for the next throw. I haven't written aces on the back of my discs for 10yrs. Makes the disc ugly.

That being said I still remember my longest at 330 ish', Langley Passive park during the provincials. Lone ace (that paid into the pot). I hahum threw my Force. Haha. I don't remember any others.

Last edited:
Tee Pad to basket in one throw. Once you move on to the next hole, the counter resets to zero.

I have a few "Aces" under my belt, some very short distances, but I did throw the disc from the tee pad into the basket in one attempt. Several of my aces were from the short tees, but we played the whole round from the short tees and played the holes in order without jumping around. (at my home course (Hiller Park) we always start from Hole 17; playing from 17 first, allows you to come back to your car at Hole 8, to re-up on liquid, or to change a sweat soaked shirt. If one starts at Hole 1, you do not get back to your car until you get to Holes 23 and 24).

My longest was Hole 13 at North Georgia Canopy Tours. The hole after The Chicken Coop Hole. 315' downhill. I threw exactly one shot on that hole, and got very lucky, without the help of the downhill slope, I don't think I would have covered the distance.

I also have one "ace" using the Geezer's Rule, which technically is not an ace at all. Geezer's Rule is : on the FIRST hole of the round, and only on the FIRST hole, you get to throw two discs from the tee box, and pick the shot you prefer for your second throw. Well, at Hole 1 at Shepard State Park, I threw my secondary throw into the basket. Using the Geezer's Rule, I did card that as an ACE....strictly a casual round, as I am unable to play most tournaments, due to working almost every Saturday of the year.

Latest posts