• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What's an ace for you?

What is an ace?

• Total voters
Well, now it depends on who throws it.

If I throw one in on a practice shot, I don't count it as an ace and I never have. But if my wife throws one in on a mulligan, I'm counting it for her. She never has, but I would never want to take that away from her.

Absolutely! If I can ever get my wife to play, a mulligan is DEFINITELY an ace!

Ace, Cubbie Ace. Both are aces to me. Aces are more likely to be mistakes while Cubbie aces are generally more intentional. Cubbie aces shouldnt be counted on any scorecard but its still an ace in my mind. To me, ace is a word in disc golf that means you have thrown the disc from the tee into the basket.

You can argue both sides of the coin here and nobody is right or wrong.

And for all of you saying that you dont count Cubbie aces but if your wife got one then you would count it. I assume that you would allow anyone to count their Cubbie ace that doesnt play all to often? If not then I think thats a bit on the sexist side. If so then what are your qualifiers for allowing somebody to count a Cubbie ace as a real ace?

Last edited:
I have two shots that I would call aces (i.e. stepped up to the tee during some sort of round other than just practice shots, picked my shot, and hit it). I only have one "cubby ace," where I actually hit the line I was trying to hit on my second attempt. At this point, I have so few that I still remember both. But if you ask me how many aces I have, I'm going to tell you: two. Sadly, those holes weren't real impressive aces, as they were in that 175' to 225' range.

To each his or her own. I remember playing with a guy who hit a cubby ace. To be honest, I was minorly miffed that he kept throwing two or three shots off of every tee. It was an impressive shot, but he celebrated like it was a tournament ace and then I was obligated to sign his disc as a witness. I wouldn't have considered it an ace, but his boat was clearly floated, and I think my main job in that situation was not to be a kill-joy.

A hole-in-one and an ace are the same in my book---disc golfers use "ace" interchangeably because we're not throwing at an actual "hole". Not that nailing the basket from 200+ feet down the fairway isn't plenty exciting, though.

Standing on the pad driving all your discs---it isn't an ace if it's not on the scorecard. It is, as Allen Iverson said 31 times, "practice".

Some people are just looking for justification/support for calling their second, third, etc. throw a hole in one.
Since the poll is currently 50 to 2, it doesn't look like there are many people willing to support the "anything goes" notion.

Ace, Cubbie Ace. Both are aces to me. Aces are more likely to be mistakes while Cubbie aces are generally more intentional. Cubbie aces shouldnt be counted on any scorecard but its still an ace in my mind. To me, ace is a word in disc golf that means you have thrown the disc from the tee into the basket.

You can argue both sides of the coin here and nobody is right or wrong.

And for all of you saying that you dont count Cubbie aces but if your wife got one then you would count it. I assume that you would allow anyone to count their Cubbie ace that doesnt play all to often? If not then I think thats a bit on the sexist side. If so then what are your qualifiers for allowing somebody to count a Cubbie ace as a real ace?

My wife has shown absolutely no interest in the sport and being one who would love to get her into it, anything I can do to build her up regarding anything much less disc golf is in my best interest.

I agree with your calling both aces in general conversation but not on an official score card. In conversation if I talked about my Cubbie ace (240 ft away, threw 5 discs at the basket, got one in), I dont even call it that and just refer to it as "the closest thing i ever had to an ace". With the wife I would call it an Ace and let her fill in the details. This is all however here-say because such has never happened and may never happen.

Qualifiers? meh people talk and I tend to let them. I'm not that good and play for fun so why not let others.

At this point, the poll results are 46-2. If you are in the minority on this matter, I have one question.

How do you sleep at night?

I voted in that minority and I sleep very well. Just because I voted that way doesnt mean much though. I lean more on the side of Cubbie aces not being counted but its called a Cubbie ace for a reason. I have plenty of real aces and Cubbie aces, but Cubbie aces dont count towards my score. I dont make any sort of deal if I get a Cubbie ace, its a practice shot. I would still call it an ace but it means nothing other then a proof of potential skill and luck.

Some people are just looking for justification/support for calling their second, third, etc. throw a hole in one.
Since the poll is currently 50 to 2, it doesn't look like there are many people willing to support the "anything goes" notion.

I've been stating my opinion from an unofficial not-even amateur standpoint.

Officially there is absolutely no arguing here an ace is 'the first shot from the tee'

I dont think people are looking for any justification at all. With me being 50% of the vote for calling them an ace I can tell you that is not the case. I dont think anybody is supporting an anything goes way of thinking about it. Its just word play at this point. If John Doe wants to call his Cubbie Ace a real ace then thats their right, they are only cheating themselves.

...not to mention understanding when to capitalize.

You will always see me capitalize "Disc" and "Disc Golf." The same goes for any Disc's name, such as Banshee or Marauder, etc. These are holy words in my Frisbeetarian religion.

Aces only count as such if they're by the book. A second shot is either practice, or an incredible par save from a re-tee. I have eleven real aces going back to 1996. I lost count of practice ones. You still cheer and dance around with glee, and you can still say you have X number of practice aces. That's fine. They should be separate categories.

Like others have said, when your wife hits a practice ace, IT COUNTS. It's different. She's the boss. She's the queen. I think my wife has played four or five total rounds since I've met her in 1991. I'm just grateful she thinks enough of me to come along once in awhile. Hell, I'll call a bogey an ace for her if she'd like the sport!

Warning, Back In The Day story to follow:

The rule for foot faults when teeing off use to be a warning and re-throw for the first infraction. During a PDGA tournament at Mt Airy in Cin. (original layout most today don't know about) Dave Greenwell was called for a foot fault on hole #2. So he had to throw a second shot off the tee because the first did not count.

His 2nd shot from the tee went in the basket for a recorded 1 on the official scorecard.

:popcorn:

I thought Cubby aces were ones that nobody had seen, like at 3 AM alone on the course in the dark. Am I right that people call all ``aces'' that are no real aces Cubby aces?

Sorry for those questions, it's just that I have difficulty really getting the meaning of lots of those terms floating around. Without good understanding I don't want to use them in probably false ways when there's nobody around who could correct me. I sometimes don't even know which terms have clear definitions (like patent pending stance) and which don't (like grenade/pancake).

There isn't a disc golf jargon file somewhere out there? ;-)

I thought Cubby aces were ones that nobody had seen, like at 3 AM alone on the course in the dark. Am I right that people call all ``aces'' that are no real aces Cubby aces?

Sorry for those questions, it's just that I have difficulty really getting the meaning of lots of those terms floating around. Without good understanding I don't want to use them in probably false ways when there's nobody around who could correct me. I sometimes don't even know which terms have clear definitions (like patent pending stance) and which don't (like grenade/pancake).

There isn't a disc golf jargon file somewhere out there? ;-)

Cubby was a man who made a lot of videos of his many aces. He would film himself throwing until he made one in the basket. So a Cubby ace is any throw off the tee AFTER the 1st throw that goes in the basket.

Mr Cubby, by all accounts, was a good person who passed away a couple (few?) years ago.

Put me in the minority, sort of.....

I say an ace counts when counted by whoever is doing the counting.

Outside of tournaments, organized contests, and side bets, there's no official registry or prizes to be won, and frankly, I don't care about anyone else's ace list. Count your cubby aces. Or only count throws over 350'. Or stick 2 markers on the ground 40' from a basket for a temporary tee, throw in from there and count it. Makes no difference to me.

For my own throws, I'm with most everyone else here. But that's just for myself; doesn't apply to anyone else.

Though I do have an asterisk ace in my memory, when I was playing a round of safari golf once, and on one of the holes (#1 tee to #9 basket), threw it in. Not an official hole, but memorable.